Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Wilson/Osula/New Striker

Isak                               

Barnes              Bruno                  Tonali              Gordon

Tonali and Bruno have the quality and know-how to play together surely... and I can imagine Tonali enjoying playing with a skilful no10 in front of him while also having the option of playing longer passes in behind to a second forward.

Isak needs a partner to work with in front of him and he's also perfect to link the midfield and attack. He naturally wants to drop deep and get on the ball, he needs to be closer to the likes of Bruno and other technical players. He'll get more space in the box arriving slightly deeper too and can also carry the ball from deep. We need more goal threats on the pitch, if Osula isn't ready to play many minutes I question those use of funds and either way I'd be looking to spend a decent amount on a quality striker to play with Isak. 

In the mean time I'd also be tempted to play Willock in the no10 role to link with Isak further ahead, which is his natural position anyway imo.

Edited by timnufc22

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If Isak played there he’d have to do a lot of defensive work. 

Exactly. If we're ever going to play 4-2-3-1, it's just going to be very close to a 4-3-3 in practice. Don't think Howe wants to play an offensive midfielder who can barely defend. It would have to be one of the central midfielders in a slightly more offensive role, or someone like Gordon.

Edited by Erikse

2 hours ago, Mole said:

I seem to remember at the time people saying the pace of the league wouldn't suit him at all as well.

It wasn't just a question of quality, like he was decent to good as you say but the style of play wasn't all that conducive to him playing his best football.

The biggest problem with Aquilani seems to have been fitness, Rafa basically said he was flogged when he arrived at Anfield on The Overlap 

41 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Exactly. If we're ever going to play 4-2-3-1, it's just going to be very close to a 4-3-3 in practice. Don't think Howe wants to play an offensive midfielder who can barely defend. It would have to be one of the central midfielders in a slightly more offensive role, or someone like Gordon.

I think if Tonali was sitting deeper it wouldn't be much of an issue, Bruno himself doesn't necessarily have to fly forward, Isak can cover those areas between the lines defensively, I don't see him as a lazy player off the ball or anything. 

Like I say, I'd be tempted to play Willock as a 10 behind Isak for now until we signed another forward.

I'd like to see Tonali & Bruno form that partnership, I can imagine they'd very much be on the same wavelength. 

30 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

I think if Tonali was sitting deeper it wouldn't be much of an issue, Bruno himself doesn't necessarily have to fly forward, Isak can cover those areas between the lines defensively, I don't see him as a lazy player off the ball or anything. 

Like I say, I'd be tempted to play Willock as a 10 behind Isak for now until we signed another forward.

I'd like to see Tonali & Bruno form that partnership, I can imagine they'd very much be on the same wavelength. 

Isak wouldn't be as much of a threat, and would run out of gas even earlier. He doesn't have the best stamina, unfortunately.

Edited by Erikse

Yeah Isak at #10 is a non starter, unless you are talking about the odd game. It’s madness to play him anywhere but central striker with our current squad either way.