Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Ya I realize he was losing the ball a bit towards the end but feel like last season someone has a lie down and we talk that out. 

He did which is why I understood Eddie taking him off. Had ran his socks off.

Dont mind subbing him off last night, ran his socks off and was getting a bit sloppy by the end.

Got to get him up to fitness though, because he is essential to our team now. Subbing Longstaff on for him made us fall completly apart.

Edited by Displayname

9 hours ago, Magpie said:

I feel like Howe withdrew to save his legs but it completely fucked us. He's becoming an absolute essential cog.

longstaff coming on (I’d have brought on Anderson as he’s been immense in the summer) lost us the game.

Edited by Gawalls

29 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

longstaff coming on (I’d have brought on Anderson as he’s been immense in the summer) lost us the game.

This is the nail on the head, the drop off from Tonali to longstaff was huge. Anderson would’ve been a much better option IMO.

I did notice his delivery went a bit awry towards the end but he will quickly become one of the first names on the sheet, he is made for this league. I would have much preferred to see Anderson also, as stated above

I would've kept him but he was the worst of the 3 on the ball, like, which was a smaller contributing factor to our waning control. Worst pass completion rate by a margin and it's not like he was consistently attempting really difficult ones either.

But the main difference between him and Longstaff is off the ball. Longstaff is very hard working but not exactly disciplined, he gets caught in bad spots quite often and has to make lung-busting recovery runs. Tonali is much more thoughtful and is a better athlete for when we're on the turn.

Their first goal comes from Jota doing what Foden did last weekend, drifting inside. Feel like if Tonali is there and that doesn't happen the same way.

We need an out and out DMC in the squad somewhere. I understand the whole comcept of sharing the load with inter changing between Tonali, Bruno and Joe however in circumstances like yesterday were you can bring on a fresh DMC to protect a lead is vital. Hes also vital in starting certain games like against City last week due to them playing between the lines in the final third. The DMC doesnt have to be elite as none would sign for limited game time but someone good enough to fill a hole when needed.

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Could kind of understand taking Isak off for Wilson but removing him and Gordon was absolute madness and has ultimately cost us. Thought he was the best of our 3 midfielders by some way.

I I think people are lacking the ability to think critically more deeply and analyse what happened. Too many simpletons saying “wrong subs changed the game” and similar

9 minutes ago, tgarve said:

I I think people are lacking the ability to think critically more deeply and analyse what happened. Too many simpletons saying “wrong subs changed the game” and similar

Game clearly swung in their favour after the subs. Anyone who watched it could see that tbh. Gordon was terrorising them and Tonali was helping us keep relative control of the game. Lost all that when they went off.

11 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Game clearly swung in their favour after the subs. Anyone who watched it could see that tbh. Gordon was terrorising them and Tonali was helping us keep relative control of the game. Lost all that when they went off.

Anyone with eyes could see that Gordon was tiring also

easy to be so clever in hindsight 

18 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Tonali was getting sloppy, probably fatigued, he gave the ball away 3 or 4 times in a short space of time, could see the sub a mile off. 

12 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Most people where I was at were complaining about him going off at the time so that's not hindsight. At the time people were disappointed with the substitutions. He got it wrong and Klopp outsmarted him. Sometimes you've just got to accept that. Game changed massively in their favour. Barnes didn't have anywhere near the same impact that Gordon had and the general consensus when Tonali went off was that it should have been Bruno.

10 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Tonali was getting sloppy, probably fatigued, he gave the ball away 3 or 4 times in a short space of time, could see the sub a mile off. 

And Bruno wasn't? For me up until the time of Tonali going off he was still the best of the 3 midfielders. Thought it was the wrong decision at the time and I stand by that now.

15 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Gordon didn't look tired to me, like. Every time he had the ball in the second half he was tearing Trent up. I don't believe for one second that he can't play more than an hour of a match, especially in a game that he was clearly so fired up for. 

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

Gordon didn't look tired to me, like. Every time he had the ball in the second half he was tearing Trent up. I don't believe for one second that he can't play more than an hour of a match, especially in a game that he was clearly so fired up for. 

It's not like we'd played a lung busting game in the second half either. Plenty left in his tank.

Losing to Liverpool in the manner we did destroys you but it's pointless blaming Eddie Howe for bad substitutions.

He made them for a reason and generally his reasoning comes to fruition.

Gordon worked his socks off and was arguably our best player but remember he was up against Trent who is no slouch and Gordon roasted him for a fair mount of the game and then started to tire. You could see that when he was cutting inside instead of taking him outside.

Tonali was also tiring and even though you can argue both players could easily make the 90 minutes, you have to look at two things.

Tiredness causes injury and bad decisions, so I'm sure Eddie will have seen this potential and simply refreshed everything, knowing Liverpool were going to go into Kamikaze mode offensively to get an equaliser.

We got done by a good goal and another that was simply down to a massive lucky break. We had no luck in that department.

The biggest criticism I have for Howe is the way we actually sat back and allowed Liverpool to play.

But as much as 10 men seems a tasty proposition, it actually ignited Liverpool and gave them a second wind, and we simply allowed them to use their pace against our much slower back line.

This stuff happens and now and again even the best teams get done over. It's hard to take because it's Liverpool and Klopp and the fact we got robbed at their place and they simply robbed us at ours.

I honestly thought Barnes looked tired when he came on. He actually didn't look like he had much in him and that shocked me.

But let's think of this.

How many times have fans slated Eddie Howe for leaving players on and they get injured or done when they're a bit fatigued in the game and the crying out's been  why didn't you make some subs, you could see he was flagging/carrying a knock...etc.

The good thing about this game is, it's another massive learning curve for Eddie and remember he is always learning, and by learning (which he will certainly do) it can only benefit us in the longer term.

Sometimes a good old wake up call is needed and this one certainly is that.

Just remember bad decisions will always be made and also good decisions in terms of line-up and subs.

We are still massively in transition and only 3 games into a season having played 3 top teams. As it stands it's one great game (Villa) and one game of too much respect (away to Man City) and another game of too much complacency after a great first half against Liverpool.

It's not the end of our season and sometimes a good old kick up the arse is just the tonic.

The interesting bit will be in what Eddie puts out against Brighton and how we perform.

I'm typing this in gutted mode but typing it after getting the frustration out of my head after the game, giving me better time to reflect.

I'm in a better place this morning compared to last night.

There's going to be a lot of hits and misses this season for just about all clubs, so our chinning is about us getting back up and ensuring we don't fall flat on the canvas and KO our season, which I don't think will be the case.

Aye it's a long post but I thought I'd get it all in.

Up the mags.