NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 signings needed. Ideally Prem proven but that's almost impossible in January.

Todibo and Philips would be my choices. Bringing Minteh back should be a last resort IMO, he's doing exactly what he should be at Feyenoord and needs to be allowed to carry on

Just now, Mazzy said:

2 signings needed. Ideally Prem proven but that's almost impossible in January.

Todibo and Philips would be my choices. Bringing Minteh back should be a last resort IMO, he's doing exactly what he should be at Feyenoord and needs to be allowed to carry on

Chris Wood, Dan Burn, Matt Targett, Anthony Gordon?

2 hours ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Chris Wood, Dan Burn, Matt Targett, Anthony Gordon?

We paid what was considered at the time to be "well over the odds" for Gordon, obviously we know now it wasn't but plenty laughed at us for that price. He'd have gone for £10/15M less if we waited till the Summer.

As for the others, Burn was surplus to requirements at Brighton/wanted to leave and we had to pay Woods extortionate release fee to get him, so Burnley had no choice. Targett was on loan in January so doesn't have any relevance to this.

My point is proven by all those signings I'd day. We were struggling at the foot of the table and took what we were able to get. That's very different from now whereby the players we want to bring in are on another level to all of those signings you mentioned.

15 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

We paid what was considered at the time to be "well over the odds" for Gordon, obviously we know now it wasn't but plenty laughed at us for that price. He'd have gone for £10/15M less if we waited till the Summer.

As for the others, Burn was surplus to requirements at Brighton/wanted to leave and we had to pay Woods extortionate release fee to get him, so Burnley had no choice. Targett was on loan in January so doesn't have any relevance to this.

My point is proven by all those signings I'd day. We were struggling at the foot of the table and took what we were able to get. That's very different from now whereby the players we want to bring in are on another level to all of those signings you mentioned.

why isn't Targett relevant? He was a January signing with PL experience?

Trossard Brighton to Arsenal?

Jorginho Chelsea to Arsenal?

Danny Ings Villa to West Ham?

Craig Dawson West Ham to Wolves?

Lucas Digne Villa to Everton?

Dele Alli Spurs to Everton?

Kieron Trippier (”Prem proven”) to Newcastle?

Josh King Bournemouth to Everton?

Walcott Arsenal to Everton?

Van Dijk Soton to Liverpool?

Mhkitarayan Man Utd to Arsenal?

Ross Barkley Everton to Chelsea?

Giroud Arsenal to Chelsea?

Alexis Sanchez Arsenal to Man Utd?

Ayew West Ham to Swansea?

Patrick van Aanholt Sunderland to Palace?

Andy Carroll Newcastle to Liverpool?

Shelvey to Newcastle?

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

why isn't Targett relevant? He was a January signing with PL experience?

Trossard Brighton to Arsenal?

Jorginho Chelsea to Arsenal?

Danny Ings Villa to West Ham?

Craig Dawson West Ham to Wolves?

Lucas Digne Villa to Everton?

Dele Alli Spurs to Everton?

Kieron Trippier (”Prem proven”) to Newcastle?

Josh King Bournemouth to Everton?

Walcott Arsenal to Everton?

Van Dijk Soton to Liverpool?

Mhkitarayan Man Utd to Arsenal?

Ross Barkley Everton to Chelsea?

Giroud Arsenal to Chelsea?

Alexis Sanchez Arsenal to Man Utd?

Ayew West Ham to Swansea?

Patrick van Aanholt Sunderland to Palace?

Andy Carroll Newcastle to Liverpool?

Shelvey to Newcastle?

You're listing all these players from however many years ago. It's not the same now. Those clubs in the bottom half of the league won't be taken for mugs anymore. There's no way we rock up to Forrest or Palace and take Gibbs-White or Eze off them for anything under £60M (and that's if we're lucky).

Half of those ones you listed also prove my point about players leaving because they are surplus to requirements at their current clubs. 

In January (usually) you either pay way over the odds for players or you have to set your sights on player who are out of favour at the clubs. 

I'm not saying January transfers don't happen, because obviously they do. They are just so much harder to get right. We need players who are better than what we have right now, are capable of getting straight into the team and those aren't easy or cheap to get in January. I think that's universally accepted. 

47 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Beside the point, but I doubt it. He'd just won player of the tournament in the U21 winning Euro side.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Beside the point, but I doubt it. He'd just won player of the tournament in the U21 winning Euro side.

No guarantee he wins that or performs the way he did at that tournament without moving to Newcastle though.

The Anthony Gordon Paradox.

Not sure what Phillips would cost to make permanent but he’s 27 now, apart from Wood and Trippier who we’re at the start of the project we’ve tended to sign younger players.

Think it’s been stated in the media that we only like loaning players that we can make permanent, would imagine Phillips would cost 30 plus, doesn’t ring true to me unless Longstaff and Willock are out long term in January.

My guess is if we sign a midfielder in January it’ll be someone much younger than Phillips.

Edited by Whitley mag

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Not sure what Phillips would cost to make permanent but he’s 27 now, apart from Wood and Trippier who we’re at the start of the project we’ve tended to sign younger players.

Think it’s been stated in the media that we only like loaning players that we can make permanent, would imaging Phillips would cost 30 plus, doesn’t ring true to me unless Longstaff and Willock are out long term in January.

Desperate times call for desperate measures situation ? Loan with no obligation would be a decent deal imo.

4 hours ago, Mazzy said:

We only paid over the odds according to people who didn’t rate him. He very likely would not have been available in the summer and our recruitment team felt we were getting a bargain for an English player of his age and potential. They were very right.

8 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Think it’s been stated in the media that we only like loaning players that we can make permanent, would imagine Phillips would cost 30 plus, doesn’t ring true to me unless Longstaff and Willock are out long term in January.

My guess is if we sign a midfielder in January it’ll be someone much younger than Phillips.

Short term we need the midfield reinforcing, longer term I think having a more designated 6 gives us more options (Bruno having more influence further forward for example). I don’t think he’d cost a fortune if we did decide to make it permanent and he’s hardly old at 27. If we bring in someone younger and more talented then fine but the bonus with Phillips is he’s premier league ready so less risk (though has had a few injuries). I have faith in whatever the club does really but I think he’d be a great signing.

Dear me.

Philips is 27 not 37.

Plays for England*

Great DM

Snap their hand off

*arguably shouldn't be on games played this season for Citeh but, conversely, would play every game for England were it not for Rice. 

Him, Bruno, Tonali would be an awesome 3 next season ?

It wouldn't surprise me if we got some Ashworth FFP creativity here.

Something like an 18-month loan with various options/conditions attached, we can break or buy in the summer, that sort of thing.

He's under contract until 2028 so even if we didn't buy him City could sell to someone else for decent money. City aren't difficult to deal with so it's an easy deal to do, so long as we negotiate a relatively cheap buy price so it looks like daylight robbery if he gets back to his old self and we keep him.

29 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Short term we need the midfield reinforcing, longer term I think having a more designated 6 gives us more options (Bruno having more influence further forward for example). I don’t think he’d cost a fortune if we did decide to make it permanent and he’s hardly old at 27. If we bring in someone younger and more talented then fine but the bonus with Phillips is he’s premier league ready so less risk (though has had a few injuries). I have faith in whatever the club does really but I think he’d be a great signing.

Yeah, anyone we buy or loan in January needs to able to play for the first team more or less right away. Otherwise there's not much point.

Phillips is a very good player, but I think City will prefer for him to move abroad - the Juve links are quite persistent. Equally persistent is the story that he would like to join us, which looks to me the right move for him anyway.

42 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, anyone we buy or loan in January needs to able to play for the first team more or less right away. Otherwise there's not much point.

Phillips is a very good player, but I think City will prefer for him to move abroad - the Juve links are quite persistent. Equally persistent is the story that he would like to join us, which looks to me the right move for him anyway.

I don’t think we’re close enough to city for them to worry about him joining us but let’s see. The transfer makes sense for both parties but nufc are great at keeping their cards close to their chest so they may have someone else lined up.

56 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Pep might look at it another way like he's helping us out and themselves by loaning us a player to take points of the title contenders and not been able to play against city. 

Philips and to some extent Grealish fall within the same man city bracket as Fabian Delph, Carson etc.

They are there to make up the English quota in the squad, just happens City can afford to spend bucket loads on quality players and then never give them the game time they would get anywhere else in the league.