NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

21 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Where's this from? 

Can’t remember where I saw this - but you would think we would need to sell a couple of players for FFP wriggle room?

Ikon - we go for Raphinha?

29 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I should have mentioned RW. I do wonder if we have way too many 8 role box to box mids mind you. 

LCM -Joe - Joe - Anderson - that’s plenty - added flexibility that both Joes  an play LWF aswell - that whole left side doesn’t require any surgery 

We sell Targett - Krafth is used as the spare 

Tino - Burn - Hall is enough as LB options 

3 hours ago, Smal said:

Trippier is 33, like. Footballers don't die when they hit 30 anymore. 

Think DM is an especially taxing role to play though, can think of a few DM's who were top and then had a huge drop off the wrong side of 30. I agree with a loan in Jan but would think we can get better value and a higher potential as a permanent signing rather than Phillips.

They must see a player in Ekitike too keep him in there plans for this long after snubbing us. What does he bring? He don't look rapid or strong or a finisher. Is it his physique frame that they think will develop into a beast in a few years time? 

3 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

Think DM is an especially taxing role to play though, can think of a few DM's who were top and then had a huge drop off the wrong side of 30. I agree with a loan in Jan but would think we can get better value and a higher potential as a permanent signing rather than Phillips.

Interesting take. I always thought CDM was the place box to box midfielders and wingers went to die. 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

They must see a player in Ekitike too keep him in there plans for this long after snubbing us. What does he bring? He don't look rapid or strong or a finisher. Is it his physique frame that they think will develop into a beast in a few years time? 

If Eddie and co want to polish this rough cut, bring him home! 

2 minutes ago, andycap said:

He’s very talented in fairness, very similar to Isak in my opinion but not at his level. He can drift wide but I think he goes wide right rather than left. He’s a very good dribbler with trickery and deceives defenders with his body shape like Isak. Seen only a handful of minutes from him since he went to PSG though so difficult to say what type of player he’ll develop into based on him being so young and not having had any minutes really for over a year 

6 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Interesting take. I always thought CDM was the place box to box midfielders and wingers went to die. 

I could be way off and just biased by a tiny sample but likes of Kante (injuries to blame also) & Fabinho had huge drop-off rather suddenly, there's a couple of other recent examples but minds went blank lol. Think the role has maybe developed a little in recent years and need to be super fit, or I'm just talking bollocks :)

5 minutes ago, andycap said:

What's his technical ability like? 

Depends what you mean by technical ability. I always refer to it as close control, shielding the ball under pressure etc. Rather than weight of pass and general passing ability. I’d say that his close control is good, hard to judge how good he is at being pressed hard and under pressure with the ball as I never saw him being hounded like he would be in the premier league. Basically, I’d sum him up as a currently lesser version of Isak, who can play wide or come deeper. Don’t see him as a target man or an out and out striker but he’s still young so who knows 

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

We're going to have to move away from just buying athletes and start buying players with better technical skill in the final third at some point

Isak’s that player and in fairness to Gordon (who I rated when he broke through at Everton) he’s developed his technical ability further with us and is very good at finding space by coming inside. We need technical ability on the right and we need either a 10 or someone who has the flexibility to play that role at times during games even if they occupy other spaces on the pitch too 

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I imagine it's only a very small pool of players that are both

And it would exclude the likes of Maddison or Neto who would undoubtedly improve us. 

OK but there's a big sliding scale of this, it's not like good technical ability = poor physical ability. Let's try and at least find players who might potentially be able to do both.

Dead against recalling Minteh, but much rather do that than go in for a 3rd attempt at Ekitike....and poss8blg be rejected.

Fuck him, his agent and his stalled career. We've got a lad who's already bought into the club, let's reward that instead (if we had to)

16 minutes ago, STM said:

OK but there's a big sliding scale of this, it's not like good technical ability = poor physical ability. Let's try and at least find players who might potentially be able to do both.

It was more in response to the suggestion we shouldn't go after Neto because he wouldn't suit our physical approach