NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, andycap said:

Joelinton Willock? Fucking hell surely it'll be miggy. 

In a vacuum, yes.

But Almiron is basically our only player whose best position is RW and our depth on the wings is poor. We should be bringing someone in to compete with Miggy, not replace him in the squad.

We have a bit more depth in the LCM position, where Joelinton and Willock are probably at their best. It's probably the position that Anderson is most suited to, too.

I don't know... I'd like to go on record as saying I really don't want us to sell Joelinton or Willock. Just that I can see the logic if it allows heavy investment at some other positions.

We have to sell because of FFP, and it'll be someone we won't agree with, but that's the reality. We can't improve the squad at the rate we want unless we do, and it'll have to be someone of decent value.

Commercially we'll catch up but it takes time, we're on our way despite the scumbag 6 trying the change the rules to prevent us, but we're coming if we're not already there.

Players like Murphy are difficult to replace, not necessarily based on ability but he's versatile and more importantly he's a positive character, I've never seen a sub being subbed that was as happy as him

Having said that due to FFP we do need to sell players from time to time and a fee of £20-25m is pretty good

Guess Howe will have to weigh up whether the fee is worth losing such a valuable member of the squad

Selling Almiron and/or Murphy for anything north of £20m seems like a no-brainer to me. They're important squad members but cashing in now, when they're at their peak values, makes it a fairly easy decision. They'd both go with my thanks and best wishes but we need to replace them eventually and it would be huge FFP wiggle room to replace squad with new starters*

* I know Almiron starts but he's the weakest of the best starting XI we have imo

Even if we are able to go out and identify and recruit the ideal RW in the summer (no easy task at all, especially with FPP constraints), Almiron is too perfect a rotational option to consider dispensing with, imo. Unless perhaps the fee was really too good to turn down, which for me would be a hell of a lot more than £20m

Just coz I've seen it mentioned a few times...

Howe will always say he wants to keep a player, unless it's obvious that he's nowhere near the first team

Firstly, he wants all his players to feel valued and flogging them at the first opportunity could make him look fake in front of the rest of the players.

Secondly, if you make it known that you want to sell a player, your player immediately becomes cheaper and you lose out.

That said, I've no doubt that Howe was absolutely on board with getting the likes of Shelvey and Wood off the books, both players would have been on higher wages than Gordon and Longstaff for example. It's an absolute no brainer. If someone offers 20m+ for Murphy, we will 100% want the money, but we will go about it in the right way, I.e giving the Murphy the option to stay and making him feel comfortable about the choice.

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Players like Murphy are difficult to replace, not necessarily based on ability but he's versatile and more importantly he's a positive character, I've never seen a sub being subbed that was as happy as him

Having said that due to FFP we do need to sell players from time to time and a fee of £20-25m is pretty good

Guess Howe will have to weigh up whether the fee is worth losing such a valuable member of the squad

Ultimately we're probably looking at players like Joelinton to become to our squad what Murphy has been the last year or so.

Not generally first choice when everyone is fit but going to play a lot of football over the course of a season due to his versatility and what he brings to the team combined with the type of character he is in the dressing room.

It all depends on FFP though, really.

If it's at all feasible to keep the entire squad together while signing a CB, a midfielder and an attacker then I'd love us to just do that.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

My guess - and of course I could be completely wrong - is that if we went for Kalvin Phillips on loan there will be a transfer clause in the contract.  I don’t get the impression that Howe is the stop-gap short-term fix type

I don't think he's really had to be so far but the Tonali situation and injuries mean that we may need more bodies just to protect the ones we have. Our fit players are going to be doing some serious heavy lifting over the next month. We need to have the option to rotate them and with Tonali out that option isn't really there with Bruno though Mileys emergence makes me a little less certain of that.

Anything north of 15m for Murphy would have to be taken IMO but not in January. He is an ideal character for a squad player but I don't think he's versatile enough for the role. If we're keeping squad players for wide positions I think they need to be options across the front 3 or else can slot into midfield. I think Hall will be valuable in this spell because he'll likely see minutes at LB, CM and LW over the next month.

Lot riding on how Dubravka performs in December now, or our priorities might massively change in this window.

Not sure how much the Valencia keeper would set us back, but can’t under estimate the importance of a top keeper in this league.

Selling Miggy mid season is crazy, even if we got more then we paid for him, he’s vital to how play on the right, his work rate helps to give trippier the freedom to push forward so much. 

with livramento being long term replacement for trippier we will need a similar style of right winger to compliment him, so I can see us moving for a younger player with similar traits to Miggy, but until one appears at a good price I can’t see us selling Miggy

20 hours ago, STM said:

Just coz I've seen it mentioned a few times...

Howe will always say he wants to keep a player, unless it's obvious that he's nowhere near the first team

Firstly, he wants all his players to feel valued and flogging them at the first opportunity could make him look fake in front of the rest of the players.

Secondly, if you make it known that you want to sell a player, your player immediately becomes cheaper and you lose out.

That said, I've no doubt that Howe was absolutely on board with getting the likes of Shelvey and Wood off the books, both players would have been on higher wages than Gordon and Longstaff for example. It's an absolute no brainer. If someone offers 20m+ for Murphy, we will 100% want the money, but we will go about it in the right way, I.e giving the Murphy the option to stay and making him feel comfortable about the choice.

Agree with all you say. And do think everyone has a price, especially those of a certain age, just can’t see Murphy going. They/we all trust him, he’s happy with his role, and he’s apparently an integral part of the team spirit. 

I may be in the minority here but I don’t think a cm is priority for Jan. Eddies already said that there’ll be no short term signings in Jan. By 31/12/2023 (hopefully) we’ll have Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff, Willock, Anderson, Miley. I’d prefer to carry on developing Miley and Anderson than signing a loanee for 5 months. Loving having a few local lads in the side.

Next season Tonali is back so if we got another cm, Miley would be down to 8th choice which would be a shame.

To me I think the priority for Jan is a young upcoming forward that can also play wide if needed.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Assuming Willock, Longstaff and Anderson are back around January, does the form of Miley mean we don’t sign a CM in the window now ? 

Miley has completely shocked me - I can’t get over how good he is for a 17 year old - Chelsea - PSG - Man U in the space of a week is worth more than 6 months on loan in the championship 

My only fear is we lose something when Bruno isn’t there - Maybe that’s Tonali in the long run?

All I know is we need a CB - CF (one that plays on the wing too ideally) then I don’t know where else 

IF we sign a CM it will be a marquee signing 

Miley will be ahead of Longstaff, Willock and Anderson if he isn’t already. He has the skill and most importantly the football brain to become “elite”. (I know a couple of them are more left sided). 

Have seen enough from Miley to know that he has every chance to go to the very top. His only hindrance is himself and injuries. Seems a very humble and level headed kid so I’m not too worried about the mentality side of it. 

If we can get Philips on loan with no obligation to buy then yes, do it. Otherwise wait until the summer and bring in an elite CM of some sort. To Ali coming back too who I think will be class next season.  Would mean great depth in CM. 

Edited by Ikon

In terms of CM he’s ahead of Willock and Anderson already. Willock is a very different player and Anderson too  really. Anderson is best suited to a wing or more advanced position. Willock’s played his best stuff for us on the left and when running at stretched defences. Miley is already better at receiving the ball and finding space and a creative pass than Longstaff I’d say. Longstaff has fantastic positional awareness and he’s a brilliant defensive asset. 

Hard to really compare but I’d say Miley is a more complete player than all of them even now. Not saying he’s better but his game clearly has more to it 

Willock is so under appreciated on here sometimes, as good as Miley has shown he is there is way to go before we can say that he’s ahead of Willock in terms of starting. They offer different qualities, but Willock is physically far more developed and physicality/stamina is the most important attribute that any of the front 2 midfielders can have in this system. Miley will get there and has lots of time to do so, he’s 17 and has had 4 starts so the potential on display so far from him is immense..

Edited by Nine

Aye, Miley looks ready to be a first team squad regular already tbh.

Bruno

Miley

Tonali

Longstaff

Joelinton

Willock

Anderson

That's a pretty deep group and crucially Miley looks like he can play the Bruno role more comfortably than Longstaff.

Kalvin Phillips for 6 months to cover Tonali makes an awful lot of sense.

If we could only bring in one player in January I'd like a RW, though.

(Assuming Botman isn't dead of course)

It might be a long shot but if Forest are interested in Murphy I would go after Gibbs-White from them, depending on Forests finances either both deals can be permanent in January or loan with an obligation to buy.

We can use the rest of the season to bed him in before he takes off next season, similar to the path used for Gordon.