NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

14 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Same, thought there were numerous examples of good control, holding the ball up, moving it on quickly. Thought the video made his all round game look pretty good tbh

Yeah, pretty much the player I have seen when I've watched Lille.

Keeps things simple, smart and straightforward in build up and then gets into really good positions for the cool finish.

Just a very sharp no nonsense striker. Not too dissimilar to some of the traits we get from Callum Wilson, but with more positional versatility.

Watching Wilson, especially in UCL is so frustrating. Yes he scores goals for us, but he contributes so little anything else. I mean he doesn't hold up very well, doesn't drop deep. He is a poacher. 

Haven't seen David enough to say anything, but we really need a more from a forward than just finishing.

1 minute ago, KingArthur said:

Watching Wilson, especially in UCL is so frustrating. Yes he scores goals for us, but he contributes so little anything else. I mean he doesn't hold up very well, doesn't drop deep. He is a poacher. 

Haven't seen David enough to say anything, but we really need a more from a forward than just finishing.

Isak has looked the same recently tbf so not sure it's down to the player at the minute. Think the vast majority of forwards would look isolated currently

4 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Wilson has consistently barely been in games for us until the box. His stats for touches, passes are bottom tier but he's obviously class where it matters. Isak averages far more.

Aye but he hasn't looked great lately although obviously carrying a knock, i think the issue is more than team and our struggle to play our usual press. Wilsons goals and assist record for appearances and minutes played is elite, not sure why he faces any criticism. 

[Chef cooks up a Michelin-starred meal. The owner comes to see chef]…

“You cooked the good food, but why you not clean kitchen sinks and cupboards as well?!?!”

Wilson’s doing his job just fine. Leave off him

In the next two windows i dont care if we only sign around say 3 players as long as its top quality players with elite technical ability. Otherwise it’s rather “pointless”. They don’t have to be super expensive or big name players. Technical players with the right mentality and hunger. Let some of the current starting players become squad players. 

18 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

Isak has looked the same recently tbf so not sure it's down to the player at the minute. Think the vast majority of forwards would look isolated currently

Yes, few weeks ago Isak used to drop deep to receive from defence and then played to Gordon or Miggy /other runners. It seemed to work fine.

19 hours ago, KingArthur said:

I recall similar comments about Andy Cole

1 minute ago, KingArthur said:

You might, but Andy Cole is one the best finishers in EPL history. Wilson is not. I like Callum, but we really need help in forward department.

Wilson is a better finisher than Cole, comfortably.  Christ, he played in the country’s best side with Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Cantona, Yorke, Beckham, Kanchelskis etc feeding him and he never managed to get 20 league goals in a season for them.

He was great at NUFC for 18 months in an attack which was built for him.  Cole needing too many chances to score is one of the few sane things Glenn Hoddle ever said. 

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts/predictions ahead of the window ? 

Names or how many players are people are expecting us to bring in ?

I reckon two (mainly because it’s what the athletic mentioned). 

Philips and David. 

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Really difficult to say. No idea what is possible to do financially. Can we do a loan with a must sign in the summer kind of deal?

One player i think is possible is Matías Soulé. Unlikely but i would very much like that Valencia keeper.

I'm not entirely sold on KP but gut feeling is that it wont happen. Not that i would not take him.

Don't see us signing a striker if Isak's injury aint bad. Think we should wait until the summer unless we can bring someone young in

like Leonardo. Otherwise try for Sesko in the summer. David doesn't feel high quality enough in general play imo. (for the money)

Edited by Ikon

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Wilson is a better finisher than Cole, comfortably.  Christ, he played in the country’s best side with Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Cantona, Yorke, Beckham, Kanchelskis etc feeding him and he never managed to get 20 league goals in a season for them.

He was great at NUFC for 18 months in an attack which was built for him.  Cole needing too many chances to score is one of the few sane things Glenn Hoddle ever said. 

Cole 415 games 187 goals in EPL goal in every 2.2

Wilson 213 games 86 goals goal in every 2.4

And yes, Cole played in a lot better team. Although I cannot remember did he take penalties?

Back to topic however, I think we need versatile forward. Ekitike might have been that type of player. Don't think we are after him anymore

Just now, KingArthur said:

Cole 415 games 187 goals in EPL goal in every 2.2

Wilson 213 games 86 goals goal in every 2.4

And yes, Cole played in a lot better team. Although I cannot remember did he take penalties?

Back to topic however, I think we need versatile forward. Ekitike might have been that type of player. Don't think we are after him anymore

Cole didn’t take penalties - mainly because he wouldn’t have been much good at them.  He wasn’t a composed finisher - he was at his best when there was no thinking time.  It’s also worth remembering that English football was very, very different in Cole’s era - it was shite for the most part.  Wilson has been scoring at that rate in what might be the world’s best league.  No-one would have argued that about English football in the ‘90s. 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Cole didn’t take penalties - mainly because he wouldn’t have been much good at them.  He wasn’t a composed finisher - he was at his best when there was no thinking time.  It’s also worth remembering that English football was very, very different in Cole’s era - it was shite for the most part.  Wilson has been scoring at that rate in what might be the world’s best league.  No-one would have argued that about English football in the ‘90s. 

Yea, I am not arguing this with great purpose. And agree with 90s football.

But I still think striker should offer more than what Wilson does. At least when he is not Haaland -level goalscorer. But interesting to see this January anyway, with Europe I would have been certain that we make 2-3 deals, now not so much.

Edited by KingArthur

8 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

But I still think striker should offer moore than what Wilson does. At least when he is not Haaland -level goalscorer. But interesting to see this January anyway, with Europe I would have been certain that we make 2-3 deals, no not su much.

Not a Haaland level ?. If you had a player of Wilsons ability and they also had the all round game that you're talking about then they'd be worth just as much as Haaland. Wilson is a brilliant centre forward the only real negative is his fitness/injury record or he'd have an insane amount of goals for us. His ratio is already that of a top level striker, I'm not sure if there are many in the premierleague better? We already struggle for goals at times this season, having someone who has a better all round game but scores less would likely make us worse not better. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Window or no window, for us to progress to the next level we need 4 players - CB - CM - RW - FW

CB - I think we have sufficient depth to see us through - then in the summer buy a long term partner for Botman - a real elite CB

Answer - wait until the summer

CM - long term worries over Willock - Tonali  banned - potential injury to Bruno.

Answer - Phillips on Loan - no obligation - buy an elite CM in the summer 

RW - Murphy potentially back in Jan, so is Anderson - Barnes/Willock unknown - so you potentially have Gordon, Anderson, Miggy and Murphy, who knows how long Murphy lasts - do you take a risk and not sign a player?

Answer - gamble on the fitness of Barnes, Murphy and Willock - wait until the summer and sign a top class RW - Bakayoko? Neto?

FWD - Isak and Wilson can’t be trusted - ideally you want a hybrid forward in the mould of Jota and Ferran Torres or a J Pedro - how many are out there?

Answer - sign Marcus Leonardo - wait until 24/25 and replace Wilson with an elite forward 

So Phillips and Leonardo - wait and see what happens with Dubravka - short term keeper may be required 

18 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

But I still think striker should offer moore than what Wilson does. At least when he is not Haaland -level goalscorer. But interesting to see this January anyway, with Europe I would have been certain that we make 2-3 deals, no not su much.

Yeah, I think going out of Europe will have limited us even more in terms of what we’ll have to spend.   Can’t imagine it was much to begin with.

Tbf I do think Wilson’s work rate is excellent.  He’s an international squad player for a reason - he’s good but not Harry Kane good.  Isak is quality, but his ability to remain fit is starting to become a real worry.  I can see us going for a young player as a third choice in the summer, with the hope that they’ll develop quickly.