NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

Really difficult to say. No idea what is possible to do financially. Can we do a loan with a must sign in the summer kind of deal?

One player i think is possible is Matías Soulé. Unlikely but i would very much like that Valencia keeper.

I'm not entirely sold on KP but gut feeling is that it wont happen. Not that i would not take him.

Don't see us signing a striker if Isak's injury aint bad. Think we should wait until the summer unless we can bring someone young in

like Leonardo. Otherwise try for Sesko in the summer. David doesn't feel high quality enough in general play imo. (for the money)

Jonathan David's general play is being understated big time. He played behind the striker in his younger years in Belgium.

Read for yourself here, from Opta, who gave a good breakdown.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/04/jonathan-david-scouting-report/

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Jonathan David's general play is being understated big time. He played behind the striker in his younger years in Belgium.

Would his game suit our high pressing ? I’ve only seen him 3/4 times and thought he was poor on each occasion, but not seen anywhere near enough of him to form a strong opinion.

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I don’t need to read it. I’m going with what I’ve seen. I don’t see him as a striker that will be good enough technically or in general play for a top top side which we are aiming towards. I’m sure he would offer us something as a player right now and in the short term. Rather we keep our powder dry and go for someone else unless isaks injury is worse than expected. Obviously would have been decent to have as an option now. Unless he is thought of as a backup player going forward. Rather see the money spent elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I don’t need to read it. I’m going with what I’ve seen. I don’t see him as a striker that will be good enough technically or in general play for a top top side which we are aiming towards. I’m sure he would offer us something as a player right now and in the short term. Rather we keep our powder dry and go for someone else unless isaks injury is worse than expected. Obviously would have been decent to have as an option now. Unless he is thought of as a backup player going forward. Rather see the money spent elsewhere. 

I don't need to read it? Yikes!

I watched him a fair bit too, and I don't see what you do at all, and so I pulled up the opta breakdown that shows your assessment might be a bit off.

We're looking for a third striker that is flexible enough to play in other positions, it's not going to be a fully established higher end player.

David is very much in line with the Bruno, Botman and Isak signings that have worked out very well for us. Top prospects that we identified ahead of other clubs who were not willing to pull the trigger yet for various reasons.

We do need a new striker but where I’m also concerned with is the midfield, we need someone to come in who makes us tick better, Bruno can only do so much.

We work too hard to keep hold of the ball.. I suspect that’s a mash up of the way we’re set up to play but also limited by the personnel we have.

There isn’t much outright pace in that midfield, if you could give Bruno an extra step he’d be the worlds best midfielder but he’s maxed out.

I don’t know if that means we sign an outright dm or if we should go for a playmaker 🤷‍♂️

32 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Would his game suit our high pressing ? I’ve only seen him 3/4 times and thought he was poor on each occasion, but not seen anywhere near enough of him to form a strong opinion.

Wasn't really paying as much attention to his defensive play if I'm being honest.

However, looking at his defensive numbers on fbref, they look really good. Scroll down to the full scouting report, and the 'Defense' section.

https://fbref.com/en/players/ce50fd99/scout/365_m1/Jonathan-David-Scouting-Report

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Let’s just say that I’m wrong and you’re right :lol: Much easier. 

It's not about me being right man. Might just be that you caught some games where he might have not been at his best. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

We do need a new striker but where I’m also concerned with is the midfield, we need someone to come in who makes us tick better, Bruno can only do so much.

We work too hard to keep hold of the ball.. I suspect that’s a mash up of the way we’re set up to play but also limited by the personnel we have.

There isn’t much outright pace in that midfield, if you could give Bruno an extra step he’d be the worlds best midfielder but he’s maxed out.

I don’t know if that means we sign an outright dm or if we should go for a playmaker 🤷‍♂️

We certainly need someone else that can play Bruno's role. 

A backup similar to him that we can bring along would be great.

Miley looks like he can play Bruno's role pretty well IMO.

Looked one of our better players against Dortmund in that spot.

Good in tight spaces, reads the game very well, rarely caught in possession.

4 minutes ago, Shak said:

Miley looks like he can play Bruno's role pretty well IMO.

Looked one of our better players against Dortmund in that spot.

Good in tight spaces, reads the game very well, rarely caught in possession.

The kid is sensational, no doubt.

Going into next season though, do we want to give him that level of responsibility so soon?

1 hour ago, WideopenMag said:

Not a Haaland level 😂. If you had a player of Wilsons ability and they also had the all round game that you're talking about then they'd be worth just as much as Haaland. Wilson is a brilliant centre forward the only real negative is his fitness/injury record or he'd have an insane amount of goals for us. His ratio is already that of a top level striker, I'm not sure if there are many in the premierleague better? We already struggle for goals at times this season, having someone who has a better all round game but scores less would likely make us worse not better. 

Problem is that when we don't create enough, then a player who is mostly a poacher does not offer much. If he doesn't link up play, hold the ball up or create something out of thin air, the poacher is standing between 2 CBs offering very little. 

With Haaland-level I mean that he is a player who does not touch the ball very often or participate in the build up, but it does not matter because he scores so much. We don't have that luxury because we don't create chances like Man City.

And like I said, I like Wilson and he always works his socks off, and is an intelligent player like we saw against Chelsea with the goal. Just that he is a player we have to upgrade soon, and of course his fitness and age are also a factor.

11 minutes ago, Shak said:

Our next signing for me has to be a player who can pick a final ball better than anyone currently in our squad.

My guess is it'll be a winger but could be an advanced CM too.

We need a player who can receive the ball in tight spaces between the lines and play throughballs. We have runners and players who love to press, but not enough technical ability between the lines.

Just now, KingArthur said:

Problem is that when we don't create enough, then a player who is mostly a poacher does not offer much. If he doesn't link up play, hold the ball up or create something out of thin air, the poacher is standing between 2 CBs offering very little. 

With Haaland-level I mean that he is a player who does not touch the ball very often or participate in the build up, but it does not matter because he scores so much. We don't have that luxury because we don't create chances like Man City.

And like I said, I like Wilson and he always works his socks off, and is an intelligent player like we saw against Chelsea with the goal. Just that he is a player we have to upgrade soon, and of course his fitness and age are also a factor.

I don't believe Wilson does stand between the centre halfs offering very little, his movement, runs etc are top class. We'd have been creating plenty this season if we had fit wide men and Tonali/Willock in midfield. Second half vs Chelsea for example you could have had any centre forward playing it would have made no difference.

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The kid is sensational, no doubt.

Going into next season though, do we want to give him that level of responsibility so soon?

I'd be good with it. I mean, it's Bruno's spot, asking Miley to be backup doesn't seem too much to me given how good he's looked. If you're ready, you're ready.

Spend the money saved on a new DM and put it towards making Osimhen the new striker addition.

Who says no?!

1 minute ago, Shak said:

I'd be good with it. I mean, it's Bruno's spot, asking Miley to be backup doesn't seem too much to me given how good he's looked. If you're ready, you're ready.

Spend the money saved on a new DM and put it towards making Osimhen the new striker addition.

Who says no?!

Osimhen would say no, unfortunately.

So wait, are you saying a new DM and move Bruno from that position?

18 minutes ago, Shak said:

Our next signing for me has to be a player who can pick a final ball better than anyone currently in our squad.

My guess is it'll be a winger but could be an advanced CM too.

The traditional 10 role does seem to be dead in Europe at least, not sure about elsewhere. I agree we need the kind of player who can play make in advanced areas. As someone else said, an Odegaard type who has the engine for the midfield but has the eye for line breaking passing or a wide player who can cut inside, receive in tight spaces or just make space and then release other players. A player with vision and technique. 

With the main fixture congestion coming before new year when we can't do anything about it anyway, more and more players coming back from injury with almost everyone (unless new injuries occur) back by end of January and us being out of European competition and the League cup I don't really see the need to get any emergency loans or high value transfer for someone who may not be a player we'd buy if it weren't for our injury crisis.

If we end up with no new players in January I wouldn't really mind. If a player we are and have been really interested in for a long time becomes available and we take advantage of it - great.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Osimhen would say no, unfortunately.

So wait, are you saying a new DM and move Bruno from that position?

No, I'm saying we don't spend any money on a DM.

Bruno starts there. Miley his backup (Miley can also play the other midfield spots).

Spend the money on other positions instead.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

The traditional 10 role does seem to be dead in Europe at least, not sure about elsewhere. I agree we need the kind of player who can play make in advanced areas. As someone else said, an Odegaard type who has the engine for the midfield but has the eye for line breaking passing or a wide player who can cut inside, receive in tight spaces or just make space and then release other players. A player with vision and technique. 

I think Raphinha would be ideal.

1 minute ago, Shak said:

No, I'm saying we don't spend any money on a DM.

Bruno starts there. Miley his backup (Miley can also play the other midfield spots).

Spend the money on other positions instead.

Ah, okay. Got you.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, I think going out of Europe will have limited us even more in terms of what we’ll have to spend.   Can’t imagine it was much to begin with.

Tbf I do think Wilson’s work rate is excellent.  He’s an international squad player for a reason - he’s good but not Harry Kane good.  Isak is quality, but his ability to remain fit is starting to become a real worry.  I can see us going for a young player as a third choice in the summer, with the hope that they’ll develop quickly. 

Same here. Neither Isak or Wilson have a great track record fitness-wise as Newcastle players at any rate. An up and coming Ekiteke type of forward who can play wide or up front would seem the obvious solution.

problem is if this injuries keep happening in the speed of 1-2 players get injured every single game (sometimes setbacks like Isak coming back early...) we are totally fucked. by the time Barnes is back Almiron will be out for weeks. by the time Joelinton is back Bruno will be off for weeks.

lack of rotation need to change when it is possible and physios need to earn their salary.

I would like to see 3 incoming players in January but cannot see any serious money for it. we already had to do creative loan deal with Hall which tells me we are short of money due to FFP.

and then we probably aint making that much from Europe either due to getting a horrible group and going out early even without some additional EL money.

the way they share CL money is also depending on coefficients so we get lot less than likes of City, Arsenal even before counting the extra money they get from still playing and advancing.

saw some chart we are only getting 30m pounds from CL, while likes of PSG, City are already getting close to 80m  and that is growing still if they go far.

we may have expected a bit more as in many different groups we would have qualified imo for next round or EL at least also would have had more wins than just 1 in 6 games and thats extra money too.