NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

12 minutes ago, James said:

I’m not sold on Bruno as captain, he could be great but equally he is always on a bit of a knife edge between passion and going too far. He is right on the sweet spot right now to that regard so giving him the captaincy is a risk.

notable that the captain armband has pretty much been around everyone except him this season.

Just moments over the second half of the season that's made me think he's perfect ("that's for you" gesture to Dubravka after we equalised against Bournemouth after his slip-up, making a fuss of Kuol in the Spurs friendly for example). Just seems a proper leader. 

Conflicted with regards to selling Trippier. One thing that I think Man City have always done well is selling the majority of their players at the right time when they still have decent value. This would probably be our last chance to get some money for Trippier and Wilson and the last chance we will have for getting decent money for Almiron and we should probably look at doing that.

My main issue is that I think we would need to replace him. If Tino gets a long term injury in September, we can't rely on Krafth to play week in week out. 

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Didn’t they spend £15m on him? Why would they now sell at a loss a season later? Unless he kicks up a fuss and demands a move. I can’t see it. Well, if he's had such a poor season, being dropped from the team his value can't have gone up. Burnley are likely to cash in, given their circumstance. We signed Pope for 12m, the same price would be fair IMO.

What other U21 keeper options do we have? Are we not a bit lacking in that department at all levels bar Pickford? Hence why Trafford got a call up as about 5th choice. Despite being nowhere near ready. Not that he would have played, mind. Just not sure what relevance him playing at U21 level has. Plenty of average players who get stick have played for England at junior and senior levels. 

Hes the U21 national keeper for a country that is producing lots of good young players. There cant be any better U21 keepers knocking about, otherwise they would be playing ahead of him. Is it possible that weve got a lack of good goalkeepers at that age group? Perhaps but neither of us know that.

As for points 1 and 2. I don’t think he is good enough to be a backup for us currently.  Never mind compete with Pope. Especially not at what he would cost. 

Hence my comment about not wanting him anywhere near the club. What would you do for a goalkeeper? There's no right or wrong answer, we need a keeper and the better keeper we go for the more it will cost and the more it impacts other transfers.

Ive seen a few people adamant that we should sign Marmadashvilli for 25m+, I do wonder how many people have seen him play and I do wonder whether it's a transfer we need to do. I will back the club whatever decision they make.

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

On Bruno as Captain. 100% I would make him captain. He's the heartbeat of our side. Leaders come in different shapes and sizes.

Posted (edited)

I wonder if we cashed in on Trippier it would be with a move to looking at Archie Gray - a player whose future probably lies in midfield but can also play right back. That would probably make more sense than getting another dedicated right back in to replace him directly as understudy to Tino.

We'd have heavy competition and I think Leeds would prefer a deal which gets him back on loan for a season but I'd be amazed if we're not exploring it.

Edited by ponsaelius

As far as I've been told, there are no imminent plans to leave NUFC for Tripps. No offers as yet. No houses bought in other countries etc.

But, purely reading between the lines, I get the impression that they are geared up of the possibility / probability of some offers coming in.

Realistically I think it's now Tino time - he needs to play going forward.

There's obviously financial value in getting a fee for Tripps now, and salary off the book.

There's also value to having a quality rotation option and senior pro in the squad. Particularly as we have two talented young fullbacks to mentor. He's been clear he wants to go into coaching when he retires, so that rotational, mentoring senior pro role might transition well to being a coach.

Really depends on whether he wants this role now, or if he wants to be 1st choice while he can still play.

The squad lacks players who have played in big games and performed at the highest level, we see that with the CL and league cup final.

Trippier has a value beyond his price.

9 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

The squad lacks players who have played in big games and performed at the highest level, we see that with the CL and league cup final.

You're not wrong. We'd certainly lose something with him going. It's basically a risk-reward judgement.

18 minutes ago, 80 said:

You're not wrong. We'd certainly lose something with him going. It's basically a risk-reward judgement.

We’d also gain something. Life has a habit of giving you a pleasant surprise when there’s a void to be filled (can kick you in the teeth too mind :lol:)

Posted (edited)

It shouldn't be underestimated what impact losing Dummett, Hendrick, Richie and Karius from our wage bill can have on our summer window.

If we lose another 3, we could end up with 500k a week wriggle room from our wage bill and that doesn't take into account the extra we may have been prepared to pay to begin with.

In fact, it's possible that Kelly/Tosin deals will move off the back of us releasing these players.

Edited by STM

12 minutes ago, STM said:

It shouldn't be underestimated what impact losing Dummett, Hendrick, Richie and Karius from our wage bill can have on our summer window.

If we lose another 3, we could end up with 500k a week wriggle room from our wage bill and that doesn't take into account the extra we may have been prepared to pay to begin with.

In fact, it's possible that Kelly/Tosin deals will move off the back of us releasing these players.

Your point still stands, but hadn't we already written off Hendrick's wages?

1 hour ago, WilliamPS said:

Ironically his mistakes cost us a place in a winnable semi final and valuable points in the CL but I get your point 

Posted (edited)

We signed Trippier at the apex of his his career, he ain’t gunna get any better and we definitely saw the rapid beginnings of his decline as a footballer last year. He was the first statement signing through the door and a massive reason behind the culture shift but all good things must come to an end and at this stage it’s unfair to hold Tino back when the sky is the limit for him.

Let’s take the money and really invest into some quality squad players.

Edited by BennyBlanco

I'm not sure he's really declined as a player, had a bad little spell before Christmas and a couple of injuries but if FFP wasn't an issue, I'd keep him. Could easily get 25 or so starts from him, Hall and Tino in a similar way to what Robson did with Bernard, Griffin and Hughes in the year we finished 3rd, where he rotated pretty heavily with one main LB, one main RB and one who played both.

Obviously though, FFP is an issue, so if taking £6-8m for him now and freeing up £150k a week or whatever he is on for a year before his contract goes, I think it's one we might have to do.

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm not sure he's really declined as a player, had a bad little spell before Christmas and a couple of injuries but if FFP wasn't an issue, I'd keep him. Could easily get 25 or so starts from him, Hall and Tino in a similar way to what Robson did with Bernard, Griffin and Hughes in the year we finished 3rd, where he rotated pretty heavily with one main LB, one main RB and one who played both.

Obviously though, FFP is an issue, so if taking £6-8m for him now and freeing up £150k a week or whatever he is on for a year before his contract goes, I think it's one we might have to do.

Optimistic indeed, mate.

5 hours ago, mondonewc said:

He's 34 in September, one of our biggest earners, and we have Tino and Hall primed to take on starting roles RB/LB, so whilst he should go down as one of if not our best ever defenders, and one of our best ever signings, for 15m would wish him well and move him on. 

Wish I could believe we were getting £15m for a 34 year old but it sounds like the optimistic talk of getting £60m for Maxi last year.

Just now, TRon said:

Wish I could believe we were getting £15m for a 34 year old but it sounds like the optimistic talk of getting £60m for Maxi last year.

That wasn't optimistic it was stupid