NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

Yeah, I think that was the plan for this season, to rotate the forwards so they could run themselves into the ground, and why the injuries hit us so hard.

I like the intensity, it works, but we need to be more than just that when teams sit back, that was the plan for this season until that pesky injury witch landed here.

9 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I could see us playing something like this occasionally

Isak

Barnes        Gordon       RW

Bruno   Tonali

Willock and Big Jo say hello

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

No offence to Mbuemo, but Olise is the one.

No chance in a million years we’re getting anywhere near Olise 

12 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Willock and Big Jo say hello

Isak

Barnes  Big Jo  Willock    Gordon                        Mbeumo

Bruno     Tonali

Botman     Schär

Mamardashvili

Happy?

9 hours ago, Ben said:

This time of year is always quiet, I used to love going on holiday abroad, before mobile phones, going to the shop to buy yesterday's paper and read who we were linked with.

GjBPJSO.gif

59 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I could see us playing something like this occasionally

Isak

Barnes        Gordon       RW

Bruno   Tonali

Could see that being an option at home against a side playing a low block. Playing more between the lines.

Think Howe said as well one of the plans for away games was to stick Joelinton LW for extra physical and aerial presence. Probably with Willock in midfield for his running. Those 2 combining was over of the most satisfying things about the CL season. Were they even on the pitch together last season?

4 hours ago, KingArthur said:

Mbeumo would obviously be upgrade on Almiron, but really would like to see us aim higher. If FFP is a problem and does not allow us to splash 50-60 million for a RW, then he is fine of course.

I understand the sentiment, but I think some are underestimating the difference Mbuemo would make, and how much of an upgrade he'd be over Almiron.

When we bought Gordon, it was probably a similar feeling, that it wasn't a top level signing on that left side, but it certainly looks that way now. I think stylistically Mbuemo is such a good fit, that we could see something similar on the right side. At 24 years old there is also still room for growth.

Mbuemo is direct, has pace and is very strong, and that suits our aggressive style, but what I really like about him is that he actually gets his head up and sees other players around him and looks to play them in or deliver a cross.

His numbers at Brentford are very decent, and I would actually anticipate a jump in our side, as I think our build up and use of the ball is better. Playing with a midfielder like Bruno, and with a full back like either Trippier or Tino outside of him, gets him far more effective positions.

The thing with Mbuemo is I don’t see any great untapped potential with him in the way I do with someone like Gibbs-White, he strikes me as someone who what you see is what you get.

He would still be a steady signing and would improve the team but I think there are alternatives out there that have a higher ceiling.

3 hours ago, Ikon said:

Personally I think we need something slightly different out on the right. A player that can be very very effective and create. Many good players out there but quite many are mostly good in transitions. I would like something a bit more creative. Olise would be perfect as he is a bit of a mix. Good in transitions but can also create. A Bernardo Silvva type would be “ok” too…

Think this is a fair point too regarding creativity. Mbuemo plays with his head up, but is not the 'door opener' an Olise is.

Olise would be great, but the competition is looking fierce, and like you say there doesn't seem to be too many alternatives that are similar to him stylistically.

That young Argentine at Juve we've been linked with, Matias Soule, looks like he is more of a creative type, but not sure he's someone we'd be comfortable bringing in as an instant starter. He's only just had his break out season, and it was in Italy, at a much smaller club in Frosinone.

Maybe we look at Gibbs-White, who has a bit more of that creative element too. He played a lot more on that right side in his break out season in the Championship, and had a great output from that position.

10 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The thing with Mbuemo is I don’t see any great untapped potential with him in the way I do with someone like Gibbs-White, he strikes me as someone who what you see is what you get.

He would still be a steady signing and would improve the team but I think there are alternatives out there that have a higher ceiling.

Yeah, I get it.

Mbuemo is very much what he is, with a bit of room for some refinement. But the main upside with him would be more of a case of him being more dangerous in a team with better players around him. 

Best case scenario of a similar situation would be kind of what we saw with Sadio Mane going from Southampton to Liverpool.

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

Isak

Barnes  Big Jo  Willock    Gordon                        Mbeumo

Bruno     Tonali

Botman     Schär

Mamardashvili

Happy?

Vintage Garth Crooks TOTW formation that 

Posted (edited)

I think the unknown with Mbeumo is that he seems good in a counter attacking side, but how well does he do against low blocks? You rarely see Brentford facing low blocks. We need someone who can help us against that.

Edited by Erikse

27 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I’d rather we go for Federico Chiesa. Obviously olde than both Olise and Mbeumo, but I think he slots in perfectly for the way we play 

Buy all the injury prone players….

44 minutes ago, Donut said:

Have we signed Olise yet?

I think we need an ambassador like Rob Lee to show these southern players what living in the North East is like.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I understand the sentiment, but I think some are underestimating the difference Mbuemo would make, and how much of an upgrade he'd be over Almiron.

When we bought Gordon, it was probably a similar feeling, that it wasn't a top level signing on that left side, but it certainly looks that way now. I think stylistically Mbuemo is such a good fit, that we could see something similar on the right side. At 24 years old there is also still room for growth.

Mbuemo is direct, has pace and is very strong, and that suits our aggressive style, but what I really like about him is that he actually gets his head up and sees other players around him and looks to play them in or deliver a cross.

His numbers at Brentford are very decent, and I would actually anticipate a jump in our side, as I think our build up and use of the ball is better. Playing with a midfielder like Bruno, and with a full back like either Trippier or Tino outside of him, gets him far more effective positions.

I haven’t said that I don’t rate him or that he isn’t a very good player. He also would improve us massively (obviously!). I just would prefer (ideally) a different type of player as our RW. One that perhaps has a bit more creativity and flair to give us a different dimension. I really really like Gordon on the left and he is class and suits us perfectly, and so would Mbuemo too in so many ways. I would preferably have a player that has quality and has some great attributes to help us against low block teams as well. Gordon for example is at his best when there’s a little bit more space/transitions. Not that he is bad at the other stuff. I think Mbuemo is quite similar in that regard to some degree. Ben Arfa style of player would be my top choice when it comes to player style as we have quite many “direct” players already. I would be very happy with Mbuemo but just not my top choice when it comes to what type of player. He would do well for us though.

Edited by Ikon

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Aye, we could smoke on the back of the plane as well.

it's mental how that was a thing [emoji38] as an ex smoker i can still smell some cunt have a sly draw in a train bog 7 carriages down and it infuriates me [emoji38]

56 minutes ago, Donut said:

Have we signed Olise yet?

He's in the queue outside the medical room waiting for Mbuemo's medical to be concluded.

Posted (edited)

I think Brentford would be silly to sell Mbeumo this year. Having a look at a forum thread on him they seem to think he's their most important player, more so than Toney. Their form certainly went to shit when he got injured. Toney's likely being sold this year, in which case they absolutely shouldn't sell their other best player. Clubs get relegated doing shit like that. If I was Brentford I'd say to him 'we're not selling this year, but if an offer from a club in Europe over x amount comes next year we won't stand in your way'. Something like that.

For price, they think he's worth significantly north of £50million. Which is probably fair for an established premier league team's star attacking player. He's got 2 years and an option year left on his contract.

I think Ikon' nailed it re: style for me, as I really think we need another elite passer- Mbeumo looks like he'd be a v. good signing (though likely at a high price). Fast, hard-working. Can cover striker as well. I agree with Kaka he looks like he'd fit in with our press/quick transition style well. His stats are a bit weird with bit poor pass completion, high miscontrols. Brentford forum did say he could to do great things and then might mess up something simple at times. They say one thing he's lacked to be really elite is consistent finishing. Apparently missed a lot of easy chances (though then might bury a more difficult one), though sounds like he's been consistently improving.

Edited by Checko

13 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I haven’t said that I don’t rate him or that he isn’t a very good player. He also would improve us massively (obviously!). I just would prefer (ideally) a different type of player as our RW. One that perhaps has a bit more creativity and flair to give us a different dimension. I really really like Gordon on the left and he is class and suits us perfectly, and so would Mbuemo too in so many ways. I would preferably have a player that has quality and has some great attributes to help us against low block teams as well. Gordon for example is at his best when there’s a little bit more space/transitions. Not that he is bad at the other stuff. I think Mbuemo is quite similar in that regard to some degree. Ben Arfa style of player would be my top choice when it comes to player style as we have quite many “direct” players already. I would be very happy with Mbuemo but just not my top choice when it comes to what type of player. He would do well for us though.

Yeah, I think you quoted the wrong post when responding.

I responded to your post about wanting more of a creator in a different post.