NUFC Transfer Rumours

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

There must be something in the law which caters for this. Possibly as they're not British nationals. You can't just contravene UK laws, which are the laws of the country. The salary caps I would imagine have been agreed by the players union. 

That is a good point too. In matters of labour union negotiations, there is some leeway but they still can't contradict the laws of the land which is why the US law addressed those because some things simply wouldn't be allowed without such exceptions.

I see Asprilla is attracting attention from Arsenal. Surprised there’s not a bit more chat about him on here. What’s people’s thoughts on him for RW?

48 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

There must be something in the law which caters for this. Possibly as they're not British nationals. You can't just contravene UK laws, which are the laws of the country. The salary caps I would imagine have been agreed by the players union. 

I think you're allowed to employ as many non-British as you like (work permits etc permitting) but the rules of the game are you're only allowed to play a certain number.  Gets round it because strictly speaking there's no limit on who you can employ, just who you can play.

41 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I see Asprilla is attracting attention from Arsenal. Surprised there’s not a bit more chat about him on here. What’s people’s thoughts on him for RW?

Well as long as he can nutmeg a Boro defender or two after a glass of merlot then I'm in

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

53 minutes ago, McDog said:

That is a good point too. In matters of labour union negotiations, there is some leeway but they still can't contradict the laws of the land which is why the US law addressed those because some things simply wouldn't be allowed without such exceptions.

Every time that NFL negotiations drag on, the Players Union always threaten an anti-trust lawsuit which is dropped when the agreement is reached. No one wants to test that as the NFL minimum wage would probably also be threatened.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Teslact said:

Every time that NFL negotiations drag on, the Players Union always threaten an anti-trust lawsuit which is dropped when the agreement is reached. No one wants to test that as the NFL minimum wage would probably also be threatened.

That and a whole lot more.

Edited by McDog

14 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Linked in BILD to Brajan Gruda along with a load of other clubs.

Right winger (positionally not politically)? Saw Liverpool linked with him a couple of days ago.

Not a discussion for here, but Major League Baseball (somewhat controversially) has been held by Supreme Court to be generally exempt from U.S. antitrust laws. Not apropos to anything here, just a vaguely interesting fact. 

Other than that, league rules are generally in the nature of contractual agreements. Under that rubric, parties have freedom to contract as they will — provided that the agreement isn’t violative of applicable law. (That’s U.S., so not necessarily applicable, but it’s basically common law based on English law.)

Just now, gdm said:

We deserve our FFP troubles if we insist on buying players at the peak of the value in the most expensive market in the world. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

We deserve our FFP troubles if we insist on buying players at the peak of the value in the most expensive market in the world. 

Thick as mince strategy. Just don’t see the appeal in paying £60m for an oven ready player. We’re not at those revenue/income levels yet.

Understand the reservations about value from the likely price tag, but there’s no question Bowen would be a massive upgrade to the starting 11, which is what people have been crying out for.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Understand the reservations about value from the likely price tag, but there’s no question Bowen would be a massive upgrade to the starting 11, which is what people have been crying out for.

Most players would be a massive upgrade though, it really isn’t difficult to upgrade that position given how badly we are lacking. 

Bowen, is at peak value and on a massive long term contract, it would be eye wateringly expensive with little to no chance of any return. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Most players would be a massive upgrade though, it really isn’t difficult to upgrade that position given how badly we are lacking. 

Bowen, is at peak value and on a massive long term contract, it would be eye wateringly expensive with little to no chance of any return. 

Don’t disagree on the value point, but there’s probably very few players we could realistically get (if Bowen is even realistic) that would be better than Bowen.

Bowen to Newcastle feels like a transfer that is never going to happen. Would be amazing if it did though. Bowen on the right, Gordon on the left with Bruno, Tonali and Joelinton in the middle behind Isak :fwap:

9 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

That's assuming the links are genuine, which they almost certainly aren't. Even if Eddie fancied Bowen - and he's a good player - I just don't see our hierarchy signing off on it. Not every rumour is genuine.

Just now, TRon said:

That's assuming the links are genuine, which they almost certainly aren't. Even if Eddie fancied Bowen - and he's a good player - I just don't see our hierarchy signing off on it. Not every rumour is genuine.

He’s being linked a lot, this isn’t the first rodeo. 

Posted (edited)

I suppose if it happens we might have had some kind of indication from Bowen's camp that he's open to it. Even if he wants to leave though West Ham have zero incentive to reduce their demands. Even if they might have PSR worries they would probably rather sell literally every other player before him.

Either way we wont be hearing more about it until after the Euros I imagine.

Edited by Bunk Moreland

Just now, r0cafella said:

He’s being linked a lot, this isn’t the first rodeo. 

Just means it's the same bullshit being repeated ad nauseum as far as I'm concerned.