NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

The Bowen transfer is one of those that doesn’t seem to make sense for either a buyer or the selling club. I’d really hope we’re not going to drop £60m + on him. He’s probably worth more to West Ham so they’d want a huge fee. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Because in 2 years he’ll be worth half that? Not saying they necessarily will but they’re reeling from not being able to get a 100m fee for Paqueta. 

For (let’s say for arguments sake) 65m we get a guaranteed high-performing PL player  that pushes up the league and they can spend half that on some highly rated 22 year old punt from abroad. Everyone’s a winner? 

West Ham finances are perfectly fine. They don't need the money. He's arguably their best player.

He has a contract until 2030 on megabucks. Unless something has changed - he's their main man for awhile.

I don't see a desire to sell or a capacity to afford him.

He's easily worth more than £60m to them too imo.

Edited by The College Dropout

Just now, The College Dropout said:

West Ham finances are perfectly fine. They don't need the money. He's arguably their best player.

He has a contract until 2030 on megabucks. Unless something has changed - he's their main man for awhile.

He's easily worth more than £60m to them too imo.

Is he? I’m not sure he is tbh. If they can’t push for Europe then what’s the point? I think West ham have an issue with overall direction of the club what’s the actual goal? What do they hope to achieve?

Bottom line is they are unlikely to qualify for Europe, he’s on a massive wage and worth a lot of money if you sell him you save on his wages and bank a massive profit all whilst not having much impact on your league position. Perfect sale for them imo. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Fair. I just think that it’s not as out of the question as many are making out. A 65m+ offer comes in and they’re at least picking up the phone.

Posted (edited)

Ok.

And we'll add £20m to our costs for the next few years (wages and amortisation costs) for a player that will depreciate in value.

Lad is rumoured to earn £120k and has 6 years left on his deal. What are we going to offer him? £150k for the same length?

Unless we have some major new revenue streams coming in. Like... major. It doesn't make sense.

But fairs.

Edited by The College Dropout

Would love Bowen if it wasn’t to restrict us with PSR down the road. Another player I’d be looking at is Kulusevski, sure he was out of favour towards the end of the season. PL experience, young sign him up

If we want to make up ground we need to buy the best we can get right now, not mess around for 2 seasons developing prospects while our league position suffers; meanwhile our best players are being yanked off of us by CL teams.

I get the whole PSR angle but the best way increase our revenues is to be successful; prize money and better commercial opportunities will follow. What we’ll be doing is buying for the here and now while also developing highly rated prospects. I believe that’s how we move forward as a club. 

With how glaring a need our RW position is, I can see Bowen being someone we push the boat out for. Obviously there's a point that the price becomes prohibitive but he's as close to a sure thing as you can get in terms of someone who'll be a really high quality RW for us for the next three or four years. 42 goals and 27 assists in the last four seasons of Premier League football. He's only missed six games in those four years too.

Generally, I think we'll look to bring in lesser known, younger players in the coming years but I don't think making the odd big splash on an established player like Bowen is going to cripple us in terms of PSR. Our revenue will continue to grow every years and with a proper pipeline of young talent coming through to be either sold for a profit or replace departing first team squad members, we'll be able to make moves like this on the (hopefully rare) occasions when we have a gaping hole in our first team.

So yeah, I'd be massively into going for Bowen basically.

14 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Is he? I’m not sure he is tbh. If they can’t push for Europe then what’s the point? I think West ham have an issue with overall direction of the club what’s the actual goal? What do they hope to achieve?

Bottom line is they are unlikely to qualify for Europe, he’s on a massive wage and worth a lot of money if you sell him you save on his wages and bank a massive profit all whilst not having much impact on your league position. Perfect sale for them imo. 

Why are they unlikely to qualify for Europe? They've been pretty much ever present in the top 7/8 until last season and now have a Europe free season to attack it with a better manager. There's no reason to suggest they won't be up there again.

56 minutes ago, jack j said:

Don't understand the summerville link. Only ever seen him play on the left for Leeds

Alex Crook on Talksport said he’s the one to watch out for regarding us.

Just now, jonny1403 said:

Why are they unlikely to qualify for Europe? They've been pretty much ever present in the top 7/8 until last season and now have a Europe free season to attack it with a better manager. There's no reason to suggest they won't be up there again.

Because we aren’t even in Europe and we are much better than them. Do you believe west ham will qualify for Europe? 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Because we aren’t even in Europe and we are much better than them. Do you believe west ham will qualify for Europe? 

I don't think we're much better than West Ham at all. I think there's a chance they'll qualify just as there's a chance we will. They were above us for the majority of the season.

Just now, jonny1403 said:

I don't think we're much better than West Ham at all. I think there's a chance they'll qualify just as there's a chance we will. They were above us for the majority of the season.

Seriously? I expect us to challenge for the top 4 this season. I don’t expect west ham too. We had an unprecedented injury crisis last season and still finished above them. 

fair play though. 

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

We deserve our FFP troubles if we insist on buying players at the peak of the value in the most expensive market in the world. 

We still need players who can hit the ground running and are proven too, though? Bowen would transform us imo, would be looking top 3-4 contenders. 

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

We are a level ahead of West Ham now, especially with Paqueta leaving. With our injuries curse last season we still ended the season with a +37 goal difference over them. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We still need players who can hit the ground running and are proven too, though? Bowen would transform us imo, would be looking top 3-4 contenders. 

I hear that argument I really do but it doesn’t change any of the facts regarding how bad of a deal financially it would be. 

You have to try and achieve the same whilst being more pragmatic with the clubs resources. We simply have to player trade and buying players who can’t be traded will be really bad for us in the long term. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

Seriously? I expect us to challenge for the top 4 this season. I don’t expect west ham too. We had an unprecedented injury crisis last season and still finished above them. 

fair play though. 

And West Ham had a dreadful manager who pretty much destroyed his relationship with the fans in the final third of the season.

I expect us to finish above them as well but that wasn't the question - you asked if I think they will challenge for Europe.

Do I think West Ham will be in and around the top 7 given they finished 9th last year and have now improved their manager, spent £70m on players already and have no conference league fixtures to occupy them? Yes I do.

Just now, The Prophet said:

You know we're absolutely starved when Scott Wilson Linkin us to Bowen generates pages of discussion.

Haha, it’s good harmless fun. Something to discuss 

Posted (edited)

How would we afford a new CB, striker, and goalkeeper if we spend £80m and £150k per week (I’m guessing) on Bowen? The only answer I can think of is to sell Isak or Bruno.

Edited by Kimbo

Just now, Kimbo said:

How would we afford a new CB, striker, and goalkeeper if we spend £80m and £150k per week (I’m guessing) on Bowen? The only answer I can think of is to sell Isak or Bruno.

No way we pay 80m that you can relax about.