NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, Kimbo said:

I think we’re just not at the top of the food chain for the pool of players we’re after, so we have to wait around a bit until the clubs that are at the top have made moves. That’s my theory anyway.

This is it. We’re fishing in deep waters here and are probably being extremely selective about players. They’re likely needing to tick almost every box for us: age, position, attitude, no baggage, potential value to increase, potential to be among the best in their position etc. We’re a slightly difficult sell for players that meet all those criteria 

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

For those who whinge about our lack of activity and speed in the transfer market. Please give me a list of realistic players who would come to the club (ambition/fee size/wage amount considered) that have went to another club already in this window that you wanted?

I don’t see a lot of whinging? I might have missed it if so. What I mostly see is people craving for new signings, excitement and content to watch. More about the lack of excitement than criticism about it imo. At least how I see it and feel. Apart from Twitter the shithole…

Edited by Ikon

For those who whinge about our lack of activity and speed in the transfer market. Please give me a list of realistic players who would come to the club (ambition/fee size/wage amount considered) that have went to another club already in this window that you wanted?

How would we have a clue what the budget is ?

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I'm comfortable with our progress so far and looking ahead with nothing but optimism, but there's definitely plenty around that would've made canny signings. Tosin, Kilman, Onana to name a few. Somehow even West Ham are dipping into the Brazilian market, which feels like has been on the cards for us for years but never happens. Zirkzee looks a talent but can admit that we'd never pip the likes of Man Utd to that sort of signature. 

4 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I think we’re just not at the top of the food chain for the pool of players we’re after, so we have to wait around a bit until the clubs that are at the top have made moves. That’s my theory anyway.

Nobody has really signed anyone of note.  You have to wait, this is why stuff always gets done later as x club will say we won't sell player y for less than 70 million when the window opens and unless Boehly comes in offering 130M you can sign them for 55-60 closer to the start of the season or even after.

If people are that arsed about not having a repeat of the end of June, surely these same people will be expecting us to wait for adequate bids for the non-purples first, so we'll correctly not spend until we rake the money in first. If we can't get decent money for those players then we'll rightly not spend big. Or something like that.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

How would we have a clue what the budget is ?

By using your brain and a bit of assumption…

So for example £70m max fee. £190kpw wages would be our marquee signing and the budget would allow for two of those.

Or maybe three players at £30-50m on £90-120kpw.

Irrelevant really as I’m asking you all to name a player we’ve missed out on that would’ve happily joined us if we had jumped in first?

So for example £70m max fee. £190kpw wages would be our marquee signing and the budget would allow for two of those.

Irrelevant really as I’m asking you all to name a player we’ve missed out on that would’ve happily joined us if we had jumped in first?

Off the top of my head who I can remember, Archie Gray would be the main one. I’d have taken a look at Omari Hutchinson as well. Mats Wieffer who went to Brighton is another exciting signing. 

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Yeremy Pino for starters

23 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Tranquillo Barnetta and Brett Emerton spring to mind. 

Dont get me wrong, I'm gagging for a signing but I'm quite happy for us to play the long game, especially when it comes to the RW slot. 

If we'd gone early on a forward two summers ago, we'd have given up on Isak and brought in someone else. That worked out pretty well in the end.

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm comfortable with our progress so far and looking ahead with nothing but optimism, but there's definitely plenty around that would've made canny signings. Tosin, Kilman, Onana to name a few. Somehow even West Ham are dipping into the Brazilian market, which feels like has been on the cards for us for years but never happens. Zirkzee looks a talent but can admit that we'd never pip the likes of Man Utd to that sort of signature. 

Tosin we went after first and he turned us down! So nothing to do with our approach. We court him for months and invited him to the club for a game and if (rumours) true we possibly even offered higher wages than Chelsea.

We don’t seem to be in the market for a midfielder and it was noted when we were linked to Onana most on here whinged they didn’t want him and were glad the links stopped as soon as Joelinton re-signed.

So that leaves us with Kilman. Who moved in a deal so dodgy that both the buying and selling club went to poor old Maidenhead to tell them the deal wouldn’t go through unless they halved their sell on fee they were legally obliged to pay. The fact we are being linked to CBs might suggest we’ve got our eyes on better.

Regardless I’ll sleep fine tonight knowing we’ve missed out on those three as apart from potentially Tosin none would improve us and like I’ve said. The club did everything they could to get him but he was never going to turn Chelsea down. He doesn’t have to move and already was friends with players there when in the Man City academy.

I wasn't having a moan either by the way, I'm sure they are working on things, my point was that in all time I've supported Newcastle this is the quietest I've ever seem the rumour mill.

Even under Ashley when we were guaranteed disappointment, there was a steady stream of nonsense out there. Right now it's incredibly quiet.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Off the top of my head who I can remember, Archie Gray would be the main one. I’d have taken a look at Omari Hutchinson as well. Mats Wieffer who went to Brighton is another exciting signing. 

Archie Gray the massive Celtic fan who wanted to play Ange as he loved his style of play Vs Eddie Howe who is hated by Celtic fans after the club courted him for months on end and waited for a response in which he finally turned them down to study the game further and who plays in a position we aren’t looking for?

Hutchinson who was on loan to Ipswich who’ve made his move permanent as per agreement?

Mats Weiffer a DM who EH has repeatedly said he doesn’t want to play with?

Archie Gray the massive Celtic fan who wanted to play Ange as he loved his style of play Vs Eddie Howe who is hated by Celtic fans after the club courted him for months on end and waited for a response in which he finally turned them down to study the game further and who plays in a position we aren’t looking for?

Hutchinson who was on loan to Ipswich who’ve made his move permanent as per agreement?

Mats Weiffer a DM who EH has repeatedly said he doesn’t want to play with?

You have no idea if Gray would have signed for us let’s be honest. As for not signing that position, whilst I agree it’s a position we don’t need (at least in terms of numbers), the club have shown every window they sign players opportunistically rather than what position we may think we need. 

There was also no pre agreement in the Hutchinson to Ipswich loan deal. It was a straight loan originally no obligation. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

You have no idea if Gray would have signed for us let’s be honest. As for not signing that position, whilst I agree it’s a position we don’t need (at least in terms of numbers), the club have shown every window they sign players opportunistically rather than what position we may think we need. 

There was also no pre agreement in the Hutchinson to Ipswich loan deal. It was a straight loan originally no obligation. 

That’s obviously fair comment I don’t no. I do know he’s not a position we are after. Hutchinson was never realistic in terms of his journey last season and he’d be a gamble and end up no better than what we can play there now. Is he really a game changer? Are either of them? Are you losing sleep over missing out on them?

I agree we did have that approach but that approach sadly left us with a £50-70m last day PSR black hole and it’s now not the approach going forward as we’ve filled many spots.

To be clear is QUALITY over QUANTITY from here on out and this window we are looking at RW. RCB. and potentially a young forward adaptable in positions but strongest centrally. GK could be debated I dare say but I’d say very doubtful this window or even next.

Whilst we'd all love transfers done early, I think the position we're in (i.e. no Europe, mainly) means that you have to keep your powder dry.

Otherwise your interest gets leaked as agents agitate to see if someone else comes in, as other clubs are watching us more now.

3 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Whilst we'd all love transfers done early, I think the position we're in (i.e. no Europe, mainly) means that you have to keep your powder dry.

Otherwise your interest gets leaked as agents agitate to see if someone else comes in, as other clubs are watching us more now.

Exactly. And although it’s a running joke there is some truth in clubs copying our homework if it’s been deemed a success. Clubs that have bigger wage structure and allure currently.

Edited by LFEE