NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

16 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I just don’t know how we’re in 2024, 3 years after the takeover and talking about (almost 30 year old) Jacob Murphy starting the first few games of the season on the right of a front 3. I don’t know if you can put it down to a lack of boldness, planning, ambition or whatever but in context of the clubs we’re trying to finish above its amateur hour. Same with Wilson still being 2nd choice striker. 

Because when the other option is someone who can't cross or assist.. then Murphy's positive contributions make him appear more valuable than he ever should be.

However as a backup to an improved rw signing.. I would be more than happy to keep him as a sub / reserve

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think this will be the case come the end of the transfer window, but you have to admit that Murphy's made himself useful. 

Sure. Without him we’d be playing Almiron, which raises even more questions. Murphy has been a model pro and has contributed, but he absolutely shouldn’t be starting.

5 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Sure. Without him we’d be playing Almiron, which raises even more questions. Murphy has been a model pro and has contributed, but he absolutely shouldn’t be starting.

I genuinely think Howe prefers Almiron and Murphy to stay because they are willing to run like hell. Natural ability is not top priority.

So unless we could find someone who has similar work rate with more gifted ability, very likely we will start Almiron for the coming season again.

Right now I’d swap last seasons squad for this seasons squad. 

keep Anderson and Minteh as they’d be more valuable over a season than Kelly and any of the keepers. I’d even be happy to keep Dubravka at number 2, as at least we have a new high potential RW who could take the role over from Almiron.

To be net better than last year, we would need one starting level player, at RW defo and two high potential players who could eventually replace incumbents at RCB (Schar) and back up CF (Wilson). 

Here’s me thinking it was going to be a 1995/96 style summer where a Ferdinand, Ginola et al would be coming in, been absolutely depressingly dead man

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think Barnes suffered a bit by not coming in until late on until after we sold ASM. RW will be similar. Can see Murphy starting first couple, or preferably Gordon right and Barnes left until the RW is up to speed. 

Eh? Barnes was in before ASM was sold and he wasn’t signed that late on

Edited by gdm

7 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think Barnes suffered a bit by not coming in until late on until after we sold ASM. RW will be similar. Can see Murphy starting first couple, or preferably Gordon right and Barnes left until the RW is up to speed. 

Barnes joined in July. Think he played a few in pre season. Barnes just second choice LW. 

Taking a longer term view, I wonder if we have one eye on next summer already.  With so many players contracts expiring, it could be a very expensive window to get that many replacements.

You would have thought the likes of Wilson and Tripps will run their contacts down / not be offered a new contract.

Schar, Longstaff and Burn will probably get extended.  

No idea for Lascelles and Kraft but can see both going.   

They are all first team players (or subs), so to replace that many will require big money. 

I wonder if we will go with what we have got for this season, and hope injuries are not as bad.  Maybe go for one or two players, but not in the Tonali/Isak price range. 

Then look at things for next summer based on where we finish up and buy based on that.

1 minute ago, Dan Gleebals said:

Taking a longer term view, I wonder if we have one eye on next summer already.  With so many players contracts expiring, it could be a very expensive window to get that many replacements.

You would have thought the likes of Wilson and Tripps will run their contacts down / not be offered a new contract.

Schar, Longstaff and Burn will probably get extended.  

No idea for Lascelles and Kraft but can see both going.   

They are all first team players (or subs), so to replace that many will require big money. 

I wonder if we will go with what we have got for this season, and hope injuries are not as bad.  Maybe go for one or two players, but not in the Tonali/Isak price range. 

Then look at things for next summer based on where we finish up and buy based on that.

The problem with this is that if we don't demonstrate progress there's no chance Bruno and Isak will stick around. 

We'll make signings and look to finish top four. 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We only bought him once we knew a sale for ASM was agreed. We didn't get him until end of July.

We got him 24th July which is still plenty of time. He got in most of pre season. ASM left a year ago today 

Why do people think we have no money to spend? We've obviously successfully passed the PCR deadline, so we should be able to spend AT LEAST the amount we did in the year that's just dropped off from the 3-year rolling cycle.. which is more than 120 mil.. but it should be more, as our revenues have risen nearly 100% in that time.

Even if we factor in Hall and Kelly's transfers, there should be enough money for two 'purples' and youngish backup..

You have to go back as far as September for Howe to play Barnes down the left and Gordon down the right, with Almiron or Murphy being benched.

They played this way twice towards the end of the season but both Almiron and Murphy were out injured, then once one of them had returned Barnes was back on the bench.

A quality right winger should be a must for us this window to kick on.

34 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Right now I’d swap last seasons squad for this seasons squad. 

keep Anderson and Minteh as they’d be more valuable over a season than Kelly and any of the keepers. I’d even be happy to keep Dubravka at number 2, as at least we have a new high potential RW who could take the role over from Almiron.

To be net better than last year, we would need one starting level player, at RW defo and two high potential players who could eventually replace incumbents at RCB (Schar) and back up CF (Wilson). 

Here’s me thinking it was going to be a 1995/96 style summer where a Ferdinand, Ginola et al would be coming in, been absolutely depressingly dead man

Minteh wasn't in last seasons squad and Anderson would't have played many games with a fully fit squad!

24 minutes ago, junkhead said:

Why do people think we have no money to spend? We've obviously successfully passed the PCR deadline, so we should be able to spend AT LEAST the amount we did in the year that's just dropped off from the 3-year rolling cycle.. which is more than 120 mil.. but it should be more, as our revenues have risen nearly 100% in that time.

Even if we factor in Hall and Kelly's transfers, there should be enough money for two 'purples' and youngish backup..

We can’t spend 120m because our costs are too high relative to our revenue. Suggest you take in timeEd32’s post in the FFP thread.

20 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

Minteh wasn't in last seasons squad and Anderson would't have played many games with a fully fit squad!

Minteh was ours though, and returning from loan. If he wasn’t in the squad he was a free incoming transfer in a position where we need reinforcement, it’s one or the other.

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Minteh was ours though, and returning from loan. If he wasn’t in the squad he was a free incoming transfer in a position where we need reinforcement, it’s one or the other.

Yes same as Tonali, so effectively two new game changing starters

52 minutes ago, junkhead said:

The problem is that the amortisation of Bruno, Trippier, Burn, Isak and every other player we've signed since then is still on the books. That wasn't so much of an issue pre-takeover because we spent (relatively) little.

@timeEd32 posted about it earlier and it's the downside to the amortisation "loophole" - yes, Isak's £60m fee is spread over five years so it only "costs" £12m/year, but that £12m/year is still there, plus his wages. And it's the same for the rest of the additions. Yes, our turnover has increased but I doubt it's increased enough to cover all of those additional costs that weren't there when we started spending.

Two weeks this weekend before the season starts. With Howe's methods of taking time with bringing in players into the team, so whoever we sign won't be ready till september now.

Not good enough Imo. Not when Howe will be under pressure to deliver this season and we're already on the back foot and in desperate need of recruitments, especially after having to sell 2 of our best young talents to valance the books they fucked up last year.

I know people will cry patience etc...but it's August in a couple of days. When does it run out? Mine has tipped today. Kept quiet all summer but it's been a farce from the club. Probably woke up on the wrong side of the bed, I'm tetchy this morning 😂

I want to panic as we now have a "team" of goal keepers to show for the summer really not counting Hall spitefully as he was ours last year. 

However the fact Mitchell is meant to be more transfer focused an the near miss of sanctions, I can see why they want to see his ideas of where we look. The fact Eddie still needs to study and review these players to sign off on them delays things slower. 

If this is it for the window it's poor very poor as players get a year older and we didn't have the best of times for player availability. However I would rather sign a Mitchell and Howe approved player then to say we bought someone if this takes longer then we have to hold our nerve. Even if I need the rush of a new player especially one impacting the starting 11 directly.

58 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

All conjecture though!

1 hour ago, kingxlnc said:

Yes same as Tonali, so effectively two new game changing starters

Minteh wouldn't have been a starter and you can't call him a game changer when he hasn't played 1 minute of premier league football. He may be or he may well be back to playing football in Holland or Belgium in a couple of years also. We will find out soon enough either way