NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

29 minutes ago, Fak said:

We all know Newcastle are absolutely desperate to keep ahold of Gordon. It was absolutely obvious to everyone that us offering him to Liverpool was out of sheer desperation. They're wise enough to understand that. If we know it, they know it.

But that's not to say they won't use it to their advantage, they could still force a transfer through or get a new bumper deal at Newcastle. 

Me saying he'll be fine once the season start is a hunch based on the fact he seems a very switched on and level-headed kid.

Staveley said it was Liverpool doing the chasing 

1 hour ago, HayDen Traces said:

We need some positive news... badly.

It would pick us all up hugely. Mitchell, come on fella - show us what you can do.

Lol

I definitely too much time in this thread, but really doesn’t make much difference as long as players come in before the window shuts. As long as the business gets done,  in a few months everyone will have forgotten how long it took.

Yes ideally they join the squad early but At CB Schar and Burn will do the job and at RW Miggy and Murphy are decent. The first couple of games are also quite gentle by PL standards. It’s not actually urgent to make signings, even if it is important.

Edited by WilliamPS

50 minutes ago, huss9 said:

I hope Liverpool aren't trying to upset Gordon and then use all their transfer fund on trying to buy him 

43 minutes ago, huss9 said:

That's right. That said, it might've come as a shock to him that we didn't respond with a flat no. Slightly reminiscent of Ferdinand to Tottenham. 

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this situation. I think it's going to work out ok for us one way or another. It's always felt plausible to me that Gordon would leave sooner than others - I don't want him to but he's very ambitious and we're hitting a sticky patch in our development, so if his PSR book value has gone down fast (a good thing), it makes sense for him to be a sacrifice. We've even got an oven ready replacement.

Then again, he could be here for another decade. Hopefully so.

1 hour ago, Geogaddi said:

Might be a case of Gordon would only agree to a 3.5 year deal , he comes across as very ambitious and knows where he wants to end up so might not wanted to have committed to a longer deal .

In that case I would say fair enough and look for another target.

I miss the days of double and triple signings being announced, feels like that hasn't been a thing for years?

When was the last time - was it the French Revolution - Sissoko, Gouffran, Haidara, Debuchy and Yanga-Mbiwa? 

3 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

I miss the days of double and triple signings being announced, feels like that hasn't been a thing for years?

When was the last time - was it the French Revolution - Sissoko, Gouffran, Haidara, Debuchy and Yanga-Mbiwa? 

A month ago ;)

2 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

Let's not forget Eddie Howe signed a new contract last summer and the first we heard of it was Darren Eales mentioning it last month. I'm not saying that's what's happened here but there will inevitably be discrepancies between reported contract length/terms and the actual contract length/terms. Fingers crossed Gordon is one of those.

With regards to the EH contract I have to say I’ve been quite baffled by the reporting and discussions surrounding it these last few weeks…

Was I one of the only few on the planet that knew he’d signed a new deal last summer!?

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

Absolutely no chance we spent 40m+ on a 3.5 year deal. Not a chance in hell.

This.

Rare for any contract that comes with a sizeable fee to be anything less than 5yrs. Especially a player so young.

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

With regards to the EH contract I have to say I’ve been quite baffled by the reporting and discussions surrounding it these last few weeks…

Was I one of the only few on the planet that knew he’d signed a new deal last summer!?

I thought the same thing. Not sure if I'm misremembering something or what.

2 minutes ago, JP said:

Odd Liverpool would actively be after Gordon when they have LW depth already - Diaz and Gakpo?

They obviously rate Gordon higher than both. I wouldn't swap I know that much.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Depends what you’re worried about. 

Depth, the disparity between the club's opinion of need vs ours. Whether or not they're leaning on last year being a fluke re: injuries.

If he’s really only on a 3.5 year deal we could give him an extension that massively increases his wages and still save a few million per year overall. It seems unlikely to me that wouldn’t have been one of our first cost saving measures.

I’m pretty resigned to not getting a RW or senior ST at this point, now I’m mainly hoping we don’t lose any purples and bring in a first team CB.

10 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

If he’s really only on a 3.5 year deal we could give him an extension that massively increases his wages and still save a few million per year overall. It seems unlikely to me that wouldn’t have been one of our first cost saving measures.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would that not only affect the PSR situation from the moment of signing the extension as opposed to the whole financial year just closed? Could have been done in January assuming he was willing to entertain the idea, and perhaps still could have helped a bit, but probably not as much as you might think (assuming 40m on 3,5 year is 11.4m amortisation + 3.1m wages per year = 14.5m old situation to let's say 40m on 5 year is 8m amortisation = 6m in wages = 14m for an increase of 60k to 120k in line with Isak's contract as an example). Plus in that scenario we'd obviously also increased our cost level for this year and years coming up.

Keeping our best players by rewarding them with better deals they may deserve is probably going to prevent us from bringing in players while our revenue is as low as it is, isn't it..?

Edited by Unbelievable

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

I’m pretty resigned to not getting a RW or senior ST at this point, now I’m mainly hoping we don’t lose any purples and bring in a first team CB.

Why would you be resigned to that, other than for emotional self-preservation?

6 minutes ago, SteV said:

Why would you be resigned to that, other than for emotional self-preservation?

Well that is one reason.  Also I’m struggling to see realistic options that we haven’t (presumably) already decided not to go after (like Chiesa). My suspicion has always been that our finances would be more restrained this summer, and it looks like we won’t be able to shift Almiron or Wilson to help things.

Right now all we’re getting is rumours of us trying to sell one of our best players on the cheap to a rival, so optimism is running dry.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

Edited by Kimbo

6 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Quite an important season for us coming up. No chance we wont buy anyone to the front line. If we dont make Europe its goodbye to a few purples this time in a year anyway.