NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Think we just need to be patient what with Paul Mitchell only arriving very recently. He has a great track record of getting to grips with a squad and filtering out the lesser players and deadwood, and looking more closely at Monaco, he really reduced a bloated squad and was able to add some quality and high potential. I'm excited for when he starts to add players that are not currently elite level but have high potential and have every chance to get there, don't think he will be shopping for ready made superstars but looking to create our own using his contacts and Eddies coaching.

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

If we're stronger in CF (Osula) we're also weaker in CM (Andersen), because both those players are squad players who can be developed, as opposed to ready made first XI players. As for Minteh, he could have feasibly been our first XI right winger. Brighton seem to consider him theirs.

Not really Tonali who barely featured last season is obviously much better than Anderson from what I saw of Orsula he looked very raw mind :lol: 

We are certainly up on last season imo, despite it being pretty uninspiring as the starting 11 hasn’t been strengthened yet. (Ignoring Louis Hall). 

7 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

If we're stronger in CF (Osula) we're also weaker in CM (Andersen), because both those players are squad players who can be developed, as opposed to ready made first XI players. As for Minteh, he could have feasibly been our first XI right winger. Brighton seem to consider him theirs.

At CM we've got Bruno, Joelinton, Tonali, Willock, Longstaff, and Miley (perhaps x2?). I like Anderson but we're not losing a great deal in him going. Whereas with Osula it's a 100% upgrade because we didn't have a third choice striker last season.

I can’t believe how pessimistic people are being! People clearly don’t remember what it was like under Ashley etc.

Lewis Hall - Yes he was here last season but we have signed him permanently, so he is like a new signing!

Lloyd Kelly - Adds strength and depth after losing Dummett, giving us a third left centre back.

John Ruddy - England international goalkeeper.

Odysseas Vlachodimos - Greek international and Champions League player, we managed to get rid of Elliott in the process of signing this lad so win-win.

Yankuba Minteh - Never bought to play and only bought to be flipped, which we did and made a lot of money! Kerching!

Alexander Isak and Bruno - They haven’t been sold, so they are like new signings!

Anthony Gordon - We managed to fight Liverpool off after offering him to them originally, so he is also like a new signing!

Sandro Tonali - Back from a year on his holidays, he is like a new signing!

Plus, the following players are all a year older so more experienced…

• The entire squad. 

We have massively improved! What happened to only wanted a team that tries? Deluded some people.

Just now, Yorkie said:

At CM we've got Bruno, Joelinton, Tonali, Willock, Longstaff, and Miley (perhaps x2?). I like Anderson but we're not losing a great deal in him going. Whereas with Osula it's a 100% upgrade because we didn't have a third choice striker last season.

Agreed

but with Minteh and no replacement RW in yet it’s a downgrade because he could have been a starter or gamechanger off the bench

I think we also need to recognise that no sporting director can walk in and do a copy and paste job everywhere they go. We aren't Monaco or Spurs or Southampton, in the same way we weren't Brighton or England with Ashworth.

Our situation and ambitions are unique to us, just as every other club has the their own unique requirements.

For example, like it or not, at Newcastle we expect a certain level of marquee signings, that's because as a club we have always had this. Even under Ashley we pulled put a few really exciting players.

As a sporting director, Mitchell can't just sign good young players to improve, in the same way that Ashworth couldnt just recruit players to sell on like he did at Brighton.

Its not arrogance, its just understanding the culture of the club you are working at.

Targetting and signing someone like Guehi would be a great indicator that Mitchell has got the memo. If we can have a little from column A (tried and tested quality) and a little from column B (players for the future), we have hit the sweet spot IMO.

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Not really Tonali who barely featured last season is obviously much better than Anderson from what I saw of Orsula he looked very raw mind :lol: 

We are certainly up on last season imo, despite it being pretty uninspiring as the starting 11 hasn’t been strengthened yet. (Ignoring Louis Hall). 

If you count Tonali as a new player yes, but that would be odd. Might as well say we're no stronger in CB and CF because Botman and Wilson start the season out injured. Players will not be available all the time. Tonali was a squad member last season only unavailable for the majority of it. That might happen again this season with a key player.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

Anthony Gordon - We managed to fight Liverpool off after offering him to them originally, so he is also like a new signing!

Nice post but  can’t be having this being presented as fact. I think it was simply Liverpool Echo shit stirring. 

8 minutes ago, gdm said:

if someone is using the fact we’ve brought in 2 keepers, one that’ll never see the pitch as improving our squad then it’s valid that losing Anderson & Minteh weakens our squad. 

Who cares about the two back up keepers though? Totally forgot they existed personally. We are pretty stacked in central midfield with longstaff arguably being the worst, his numbers are obviously greater than Anderson. Minteh is a total unknown at this level if we are being honest with ourselves (I didn’t want to lose him either but here we are). 

I think given Sven’s injury, Dan burns age and Halls youth Kelly is a great pick up and offers much more utility to the squad. 

Orsula looks raw but at least it means we don’t have to run Isak into the ground and risk him getting those knocks again. 

1 minute ago, kingxlnc said:

Agreed

but with Minteh and no replacement RW in yet it’s a downgrade because he could have been a starter or gamechanger off the bench

It's not a downgrade though, he's never been a Newcastle player. Excluding matters like the squad regaining fitness, it's as-you-were when it comes to RW.

4 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I can’t believe how pessimistic people are being! People clearly don’t remember what it was like under Ashley etc.

Lewis Hall - Yes he was here last season but we have signed him permanently, so he is like a new signing!

Lloyd Kelly - Adds strength and depth after losing Dummett, giving us a third left centre back.

Odysseas Vlachodimos - Greek international and Champions League player, we managed to get rid of Elliott in the process of signing this lad so win-win.

Yankuba Minteh - Never bought to play and only bought to be flipped, which we did and made a lot of money! Kerching!

Alexander Isak and Bruno - They haven’t been sold, so they are like new signings!

• The entire squad. 

We have massively improved! What happened to only wanted a team that tries? Deluded some people.

Don't forget Nick Pope back from injury will be like a new signing as well.

4 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

• The entire squad. 

I said that but somebody called me names and i felt defiled!

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

Forest's third choice keeper and a raw third striker isn't a massive improvement on what we had. This summer has been a 5/10 so far, if we get Guehi and a RW I'd push it up to a 7/8.

Why would you apply a rating to a transfer window anything less than half a season-to-a season after the fact, let alone before it's even finished?

14 minutes ago, Toonjam88 said:

Douglas just said Howe said at least 1 he didn’t say we would only sign 1

He doesn’t he says Howe believes they will get one new player in. Then goes on to say the original plan was to bring in 2 and a young forward.

5 minutes ago, Menace said:

Forest's third choice keeper and a raw third striker isn't a massive improvement on what we had. This summer has been a 5/10 so far, if we get Guehi and a RW I'd push it up to a 7/8.

If the window closed with no more additions, 5/10 would be very generous.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I think we also need to recognise that no sporting director can walk in and do a copy and paste job everywhere they go. We aren't Monaco or Spurs or Southampton, in the same way we weren't Brighton or England with Ashworth.

Our situation and ambitions are unique to us, just as every other club has the their own unique requirements.

For example, like it or not, at Newcastle we expect a certain level of marquee signings, that's because as a club we have always had this. Even under Ashley we pulled put a few really exciting players.

As a sporting director, Mitchell can't just sign good young players to improve, in the same way that Ashworth couldnt just recruit players to sell on like he did at Brighton.

Its not arrogance, its just understanding the culture of the club you are working at.

Targetting and signing someone like Guehi would be a great indicator that Mitchell has got the memo. If we can have a little from column A (tried and tested quality) and a little from column B (players for the future), we have hit the sweet spot IMO.

Good post. We can't just recruit like Brighton do. Their ambition level and financials mean they effectively take lots of punts on unfinished articles. It's a great model for them and their recruitment is exceptional but it's not a model that will get you CL football or build a top club. 

It was the same argument a few years ago when Liverpool kept signing Southampton players - IE why not just sign their scouts lolol! Top clubs are at a level where it is worth paying pay a premium for players who are a sure thing, proven in the league, and are at 23/24 rather than 18/19. Beneath that you can still have youth level recruitment (particularly for PSR purposes now) - but this is not necessarily for the first team benefit.

We're stuck in a difficult position I think of being somewhere in between the two models. We need to recruit smarty and cleverly and make stars and navigate PSR, but we also need to be showing a level of ambition befitting the stated goals of the club, add guaranteed quality, and to keep the key players committed. 

It's been a disappointing window no doubt for me. However it could still be a success with 1-2 top quality signings before the end.