NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Memphis said:

There are a lot of people jumping to conclusions based on nothing but their own feelings. 

I have to wonder if we played Villa or Chelsea to start the season, someone we're theoretically competing for 3rd/4th with, would be have felt more urgency to act quickly? But starting with Southampton should theoretically give us a bit more time with which to work, perhaps that's gone into the mindset of the decision-makers. 

Honestly with the exception of Chelsea and Villa, no one has really done a great deal this window. The Euro's have seriously slowed everything down. I think we will see a busy end to the window, but it'll take a few domino's to fall first.

10 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Honestly with the exception of Chelsea and Villa, no one has really done a great deal this window. The Euro's have seriously slowed everything down. I think we will see a busy end to the window, but it'll take a few domino's to fall first.

West Ham and Man Utd have done a fair bit, Brighton as well I think.

Edited by SUPERTOON

All 4 of the mentioned clubs above are probably our direct rivals for the season. Praying that not being in Europe will replicate the season we finished 4th, where we can go 100% in the league with little distractions. 

7 minutes ago, CPL said:

All 4 of the mentioned clubs above are probably our direct rivals for the season. Praying that not being in Europe will replicate the season we finished 4th, where we can go 100% in the league with little distractions. 

Barring a force majeure event we should absolutely be aiming for top 5 which will hopefully be enough for CL football in 25/26. We were only 6pts off that last season and every other club we'd expect to compete with (aside from West Ham if you want to put them in that mix) is in Europe.

Chelsea are a basket case and despite the spending on good players, will be an unknown quantity. They’ve looked ropey as hell under Maresca in pre-season and have lost the one member of their starting 11 that gave a fuck about the club.

Man Utd have spent big, but again non of their players are known quantities in the league, one is already injured and I don’t think anyone on here other than Froggy rates Ten Hag.

West Ham, again unknown quantity under Lopetegui. could be great, could be a car crash in the making. His brand of football wasn’t well thought of by Wolves fans in the end. Given how West Ham fans are still aggrieved after Moyes, things could turn toxic quickly there. Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a few high profile departures from them before the window closes too.

Villa, look to have done solid business but have also lost Douglas Luiz and (The apparent world beater according to some in here last summer) Diaby. I think they are better placed than we were last summer to deal with the dual challenge of CL and the League, but it’s not just us who have suffered a significant drop off after qualifying for the first time in a while. I expect them to be no different.

Chelsea will invite pressure on themselves by playing out from the back, hopefully it will go badly. 

We're in a better position than a lot of clubs, even if the window has been disappointing (so far). 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Chelsea will invite pressure on themselves by playing out from the back, hopefully it will go badly. 

We're in a better position than a lot of clubs, even if the window has been disappointing (so far). 

Chelsea hired their new manager based on stats and style of play, I think they could be shocked when he doesn't match his EPL stats with his championship ones 

16 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Chelsea are a basket case and despite the spending on good players, will be an unknown quantity. They’ve looked ropey as hell under Maresca in pre-season and have lost the one member of their starting 11 that gave a fuck about the club.

Man Utd have spent big, but again non of their players are known quantities in the league, one is already injured and I don’t think anyone on here other than Froggy rates Ten Hag.

West Ham, again unknown quantity under Lopetegui. could be great, could be a car crash in the making. His brand of football wasn’t well thought of by Wolves fans in the end. Given how West Ham fans are still aggrieved after Moyes, things could turn toxic quickly there. Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a few high profile departures from them before the window closes too.

Villa, look to have done solid business but have also lost Douglas Luiz and (The apparent world beater according to some in here last summer) Diaby. I think they are better placed than we were last summer to deal with the dual challenge of CL and the League, but it’s not just us who have suffered a significant drop off after qualifying for the first time in a while. I expect them to be no different.

You can say all of them are unknown quality, but they are all stronger than this time last season. You also forgot Spurs who also are stronger.

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

Chelsea hired their new manager based on stats and style of play, I think they could be shocked when he doesn't match his EPL stats with his championship ones 

“Could” of course. But sadly they will, as long as he picks the right keeper. Chelsea are gonna be dark horses I reckon 

16 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

You also forgot Spurs who also are stronger.

Are they? All I’ve seen from Spurs fans is concern at them buying really young unproven players and expressing concern that they were found out the final third of last season. There’s also talk of a few of their more established players such as Romero being away this window too.

Basically apart from Man City and Arsenal, everyone is a bit of an unknown quantity this season. If we don’t completely implode with injuries again this season, we'll be better. Regardless of who we do or don’t bring in this window.

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

“Could” of course. But sadly they will, as long as he picks the right keeper. Chelsea are gonna be dark horses I reckon 

Have you watched them at all this preseason? They look truly woeful. Celtic flattered them by only beating them 4-0. Preseason I know, but the signs aren’t good. I honestly think not one player there gives a crap now Gallagher has left and both James and Chilwell are crocked again.

8 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Are they? All I’ve seen from Spurs fans is concern at them buying really young unproven players and expressing concern that they were found out the final third of last season. There’s also talk of a few of their more established players such as Romero being away this window too.

Basically apart from Man City and Arsenal, everyone is a bit of an unknown quantity this season. If we don’t completely implode with injuries again this season, we'll be better. Regardless of who we do or don’t bring in this window.

Solanke? We got some unknown concerns ourself. How is Tonali going to look after a year without competetive football. Will Botman return the same player. How will Wilson affect us? I think Hall and Barnes will be solid for us this season, thats a plus.

Edited by nufc123

Transfer window can only be judged on where we are at September 1st. Yes I would have liked signings coming in earlier, but like I've said a few times, I'll wait until it's over before making a full judgement 

Just now, Ben said:

To late for transfers for this weekend anyway, no time to get bedded in.

With Howe it have been to late for a month already.

Will judge the window in September, so far it’s not very good. Both incoming and outgoing.

5 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Solanke? We got some unknown concerns ourself. How is Tonali going to look after a year without competetive football. Will Botman return the same player. How will Wilson affect us? I think Hall and Barnes will be solid for us this season, thats a plus.

I’ve never argued otherwise, but if Pope stays fit and Joelinton isn’t missing for 2/3 of the season I guarantee we'll look better than last year.

That’s without factoring in Tonali, who I’d argue will be going some to be worse than a half fit Longstaff. I’d also argue that Osula is going to be a hell of a lot more useful than Ritchie and ditto for Kelly over Dummet

Solanke- the lad has had one good season in the PL, I guess we are going to find out how much of that was down to Iraola and how much was done to him. 

2 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I’ve never argued otherwise, but if Pope stays fit and Joelinton isn’t missing for 2/3 of the season I guarantee we'll look better than last year.

That’s without factoring in Tonali, who I’d argue will be going some to be worse than a half fit Longstaff. I’d also argue that Osula is going to be a hell of a lot more useful than Ritchie and ditto for Kelly over Dummet

Solanke- the lad has had one good season in the PL, I guess we are going to find out how much of that was down to Iraola and how much was done to him. 

Think its quite bizarre talking down Solanke, and hoying up Osula. Spurs are a lot stronger with Solanke, not sure the agenda here really (and no im not worrying or bedwetting over Spurs, just say they are stronger). Sure every team in this league will look a lot better without injuries, but you could say the same about Manu, Chelsea and Spurs re Injuries. Agree on Kelly, huge upgrade on Dummett. And Hall is ready to go from the start.

6 minutes ago, Myleftboot said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that Eddie wanted all new signings in by the time they went to Japan.

He'd obviously have preferred to have all new signings in by July 1st, but thats not how transfer windows works

Just now, Myleftboot said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that Eddie wanted all new signings in by the time they went to Japan.

This is my biggest gripe - we know Eddie won't start players until they are Eddie-ready, which means we won't see much from any new signings for a while anyway. 

The planning appears to have been really poor. I understand waiting for the new DoF to arrive to an extent, but what have we've been doing for the past what is it, 8 months?! Expecting Eddie to wait, and Mitchell to work his magic in just a few weeks is daft.

I can also imagine Eddie saying No, no, nope, not that one. Regarding options offered by Mitchell. Or however they collaborate. 

Edited by Ikon

5 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

This is my biggest gripe - we know Eddie won't start players until they are Eddie-ready, which means we won't see much from any new signings for a while anyway. 

The planning appears to have been really poor. I understand waiting for the new DoF to arrive to an extent, but what have we've been doing for the past what is it, 8 months?! Expecting Eddie to wait, and Mitchell to work his magic in just a few weeks is daft.

Guehi would start almost immediately if he signed imo.