NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

9 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I've never been critical of the club since the takeover but failing to get a CB and RW is unacceptable imo, however still 10 days to go so let's see how the window ends

I very much agree it will a failure of a window if we don’t get both. However if PSR rules weren’t a thing we’d get both no problem. In other words it’s not like they aren’t trying 

Edited by gdm

16 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

We need a CB and a RW, if we only get one then questions should be asked about how we have failed to sufficiently support the manager in upgrading the starting eleven.

People arguing about how hard it is to find a suitable upgrade on players, whilst simultaneously claiming that the current players are so shit that it is impossible to find a buyer for them. I mean, fucking hell.

I genuinely don’t think breaking the bank for Guehi is the only answer we have 

43 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

"One good transfer" means either upgrading Miggy or getting a top CB; we can't have too many complaints if it's one or the other as we're essentially not allowed to do both. You could chastise the scouting department for not uncovering a bargain, I suppose, but we're very risk-averse in the transfer market, which I'm on board with. 

I think we can have complaints because we have not adressed the two problems we have in our squad. 

13 minutes ago, gdm said:

I very much agree it will a failure of a window if we don’t get both. However if PSR rules weren’t a thing we’d get both no problem. In other words it’s not like they aren’t trying 

Well, we reportedly made a bid for Olise and we know we've made a bid for Guehi

Whilst PSR might have an impact on who we can sign, what it isn't going to do is stop up us from signing a CB and RW

I get people would prefer to wait 6-12 months for our first choice, which I get but not signing a CB/RW would still be unacceptable imo, rather we go down the list to make sure we aren't leaving ourselves short

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While I'd like both, you'll always have a weakness in your squad.

Sure, but there is weakness and there is noticable weakness. I will stand on this even if we sign prime Maldini, not signing a RW is a failure this window.

6 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

I think we can have complaints because we have not adressed the two problems we have in our squad. 

We're bidding £65m for a CB so it's pretty obvious the club knows what it needs.

We still need a buyer for Almiron before we can get an RW you'd imagine?

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We're bidding £65m for a CB so it's pretty obvious the club knows what it needs.

We still need a buyer for Almiron before we can get an RW you'd imagine?

I trust the people at this club knowing our needs, but that was not the point. We wanted Olise here, so I dont think it depends on Almiron, but a sale in general yes probably.

Edited by nufc123

52 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

People arguing about how hard it is to find a suitable upgrade on players, whilst simultaneously claiming that the current players are so shit that it is impossible to find a buyer for them. I mean, fucking hell.

It wouldn't be hard to find a basic upgrade, but it's hard to find someone who is enough of an upgrade for it to be worthwhile from a financial perspective. We're taking a risk-averse approach to squad building which - until the academy catches up - is anchored in recruiting as sustainably as possible.

If we get no one else I'd question their judgement to some extent, but any transfer window where we've kept Isak, Bruno and Gordon gets a fair bit of grace from me. 

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I know, but it feels like a spin on the transfer that makes it sound like he was just knocking around with nobody wanting him. Which I’m sure wasn’t the case. 

Anyway, doesn’t matter, I wasted fingertip skin typing both of these posts :lol:

Well, if they say he came from Bournemouth on a free it sounds like they've palmed him off on us like us ditching Fraser or Hayden. So it's a perspective thing, I guess.

Edited by 80

Pointless spending money for the sake of it. If that means we don’t get anyone else in this window then so be it. Won’t mean we’re necessarily getting it wrong. We have to make every transfer count. 

Last thing we need is making a signing on day a 3/4 year contract knowing that we’ll want rid in 18 months and struggle to move on.

Will preface this by saying I have plenty faith that we'll do something; in summer 2022 everyone knew we needed a striker that wasn't as absent as Wilson and was better than Wood. We got Isak. 5 days before the window shut. That's what I'm clutching to. :lol:

If we get one but don't get the other: RW/CB that is, I'll still be slightly disappointed tbh. We knew we lacked depth at CB going into this season after Lascelles did his ACL v West Ham way back on the 30th March. And for RW: we last signed a RW 7 years ago, it's a position that's needed upgrading for a while. If don't get either though then this window has been a failure.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

8 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Pointless spending money for the sake of it. If that means we don’t get anyone else in this window then so be it. Won’t mean we’re necessarily getting it wrong. We have to make every transfer count. 

Last thing we need is making a signing on day a 3/4 year contract knowing that we’ll want rid in 18 months and struggle to move on.

I get that and no one is suggesting we make a signing for the sake of it but surely our list of options isn't just Guehi

Whilst Ashley would go for target 10 or below, surely option 2/3 etc would improve us and if that's the case we should do it 

However, as I mentioned earlier there is still 10 days of the window left, I'll fully reserve judgment until then

I think it's hilarious people ranting about how easy it should be to buy a CB and/or a RW. 

Apparently the market is awash with them. 

Notwithstanding the well chronicled problems we've got shifting extended squad members, Manure paid £82m for fucking Antony man. 

Fucking hell...how quickly people have forgotten the relegation battles oh so very recently.

"Unacceptable window"

"failure"

"questions must be asked"

If it wasn't for FFP we'd have everything we wanted. It's just going to take a little longer and unfortunately, will either have to sell one of our top players or buy and flip youth talent ala Chelsea to build the squad ala Minteh. Which obviously sucks.

Honestly, sometimes I think that 4th spot set unrealistic expectations and turned some of the fanbase into spoilt brats.

If we signed Guehi and that was it I'd be pretty disappointed, have to say. Offset somewhat by the fact that Guehi is as close to a sure thing as you'll get, to be fair.

Back in early June, the idea that a young developmental striker like Osula would be our only signing in midfield or attack, while selling Minteh and Anderson, was near unthinkable. We have three players in Gordon, Barnes and Isak that I'm confident in playing extended periods of football this year as part of the front three without having some pretty severe limitations at this level exposed. Two of them play their best football in the same position.

If we sign nobody in the next week, I'll see it as a substantial failure.

Sign one of a RW and CB, it'll be a disappointment.

Sign both, it'll be good (obviously if we sign two worldies it's better than good, or if we sign two less highly rated players it maybe becomes just solid).

Is it the change of the PSR rules that has stuffed us?  As previously it was your spend over a three year period where now it's based on your income for the year?  I thought we'd have at least £150 Mil to spend based on us bringing in £60 mil

Edited by duo