NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I agree that if we don’t get a RW I can’t see top four. Just think we’ll be too one-dimensional even if Gordon tears it up on the left. The right side is an absolute mystery in all honesty. We’re spoilt on the left. Shame that Elliot Anderson wasn’t right-sided

Just now, gbandit said:

I agree that if we don’t get a RW I can’t see top four. Just think we’ll be too one-dimensional even if Gordon tears it up on the left. The right side is an absolute mystery in all honesty. We’re spoilt on the left. Shame that Elliot Anderson wasn’t right-sided

Even if he was we sold him mate.

4 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Tbh Howe is almost certainly peeved that the transfer business isn’t done and has also almost certainly made clear he needs another CB. Hardly breaking news.

Also almost certain Howe will get over it if the deals get done before the window shuts.

He’s almost certainly not.  He said himself that any deal has to be right for the club and he’s happy to attack the season with the squad we have.  The constant negativity is proper draining, my own fault for logging in and reading I suppose 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Which clubs have had a concrete interest in Madueke in this window? And what’s the general feeling among the Chelsea fans at the prospect of him leaving?

There has been a bit of chatter about him going to a European team. Although most clubs in Europe want top dollar when you buy one of theirs but won’t pay decent when they buy.

You have to take a lot of is being spouted and as a consequence reported at the moment. I try to be neutral to a degree

He is a player that flatters to deceive. When he picks the ball up and runs at a defence you go wow. But he chooses the wrong option time after time still young so relatively high ceiling but question his attitude as evidenced when he fought with two others to take a penalty where it was obvious who would be taking it

If Disasi is one of those 21 players Maresca "doesn't care about" then that would seem a fairly straightforward deal to try and do. Even a loan move would make sense as then we'd have a good chunk of cash to try and find a winger in the next week.

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Agreed there’ll be too many games where we either lose narrowly or fail to win by being unable to break teams down. Almiron and Murphy are functional squad players, good pros but that won’t contribute to top four this year. RW has needed upgrading for years. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

This isn't smart at all.

Chelsea have for a while now made a habit of giving really good players away.

We should absolutely continue to take advantage of that.

It doesn't appear they are bringing in any established decent players, or any kind of decent manager, and so it doesn't look like they are going to benefit anyway.

They've spent a billion and look completely lost. If anything we should continue to facilitate exactly what they are currently doing.

Depends really.

If you're talking about us making their model fail by buying their players cheaply, then you're agreeing with me. I said we shouldn't buy them at a profit (when wages / signing on fees they've paid are also taken into account) though I'd make exceptions for genuine youth players who've come through the ranks of course, that's "normal". I'm talking specifically about their player hoarding model of buying anyone and everyone just to flip for profit.

But if they pay £20m plus a £3m signing on fee and £2m wages for someone and we come in and pay £40m for them, they're ahead and their model will be profitable. I don't want that, and we can't support or facilitate that kind of player hoarding for profit. If you're OK with it then fine, but I'm certainly not. It's awful. On the flip side, if they buy someone for a total outlay of £50m and we can take them for £25m I'm all for it.

You're saying "they look completely lost" and in some ways they're floundering round, but they finished above us. They qualified for Europe. They're one good managerial appointment away from turning this right round and being a top 4 team. The margins are very fine. Saying "Let's keep enabling them" when they're banking lots of money and can easily suddenly get it right is very dangerous. Personally I'd rather see them financially ruined.

16 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Depends really.

If you're talking about us making their model fail by buying their players cheaply, then you're agreeing with me. I said we shouldn't buy them at a profit (when wages / signing on fees they've paid are also taken into account) though I'd make exceptions for genuine youth players who've come through the ranks of course, that's "normal". I'm talking specifically about their player hoarding model of buying anyone and everyone just to flip for profit.

But if they pay £20m plus a £3m signing on fee and £2m wages for someone and we come in and pay £40m for them, they're ahead and their model will be profitable. I don't want that, and we can't support or facilitate that kind of player hoarding for profit. If you're OK with it then fine, but I'm certainly not. It's awful. On the flip side, if they buy someone for a total outlay of £50m and we can take them for £25m I'm all for it.

You're saying "they look completely lost" and in some ways they're floundering round, but they finished above us. They qualified for Europe. They're one good managerial appointment away from turning this right round and being a top 4 team. The margins are very fine. Saying "Let's keep enabling them" when they're banking lots of money and can easily suddenly get it right is very dangerous. Personally I'd rather see them financially ruined.

I've mentioned this before, but I don't think enough is made about how precarious of a position they are in. As you said they could return to being one of the best in the league / world with the right appointment and a few transfer hits like Palmer. But every year they are not in the Champions League their financial situation sits on a knife edge and they are slowly eroding the pedigree they've built up over the last two decades. Champions of Europe and in the Championship are both in play five years from now.

Howe always strikes me as being a genuinely reasonable and pragmatic fella.

Sure he'd have liked a few more faces in the building but I don't think it's a stretch to think he'll not wanna hamstring us for future windows by overpaying for players now.

I'd also imagine Mitchell is probably desperate for a couple of buys to solidify their relationship and assure Howe he's on the same page.

I'm relaxed that there is enough sensible people in the building that all will be fine even if we need to kick the can down the road to January or next summer.

In terms of the wider strategy, I do wonder whether we'd maybe be better having a mega spend on youth one of these windows whereby we drop circa £30m on players with potential rather than the finished article to enable us to fast track some of the PSR stuff.

I know we're adding youth as we go but it would be nice to see an all out attack on the best players across South America for example.

Today is really the first day I’m beginning to get a bit concerned. we seem to work at snails pace. We’ve entered dialogue about a defender that a) costs too much & b) wants to stay with Leverkusen. 

I think any hope of a right winger is going right out the (transfer) window. There’s a part of me that keeps saying surely they’ll do what’s needed but it’s not great signs 

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Meh, can guarantee we'll be grafting our fingers to the bone behind closed doors. Unless a link comes from a selling club, I tend to ignore it these days. Waugh, Douglas et al have been recycling the same names for weeks, they haven't got a scooby.

I’m sure it’s not from the want of trying. There’s obviously a very tight budget which isn’t making things easy 

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

I’m sure it’s not from the want of trying. There’s obviously a very tight budget which isn’t making things easy 

Aye, I'm confident we'll get a CB in. Not so sure about RW, unless we can talk Chelsea into another loan with an obligation.

On 16/08/2024 at 12:02, Shadow Puppets said:

Howe said something pretty telling today... that we don't necessarily need to lose any more players this window in order to bring them in. I guess the subtext is that we don't necessarily have to sell Miggy in order to get a new RW in, but he did say between this window and the next there would need to be player trading, in and out, to remain compliant... just not necessarily this window.

So we have Gordon until January then? Suck it liverpool! 😄