NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Forgot to add the fourth option :lol:

4, sigh a ramsdale level keeper at what such a player would be valued at? (I consider this almost a side grade). 

Would anyone fancy that? Basically two keepers of roughly equal ability competing for the 1. 

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

De Gea would be fine but if the injury brought forward signing a Pope upgrade then also fine.

Problem is, if you replace pope then your hands are FFP tied for other areas of the pitch. 

I guess it’s a question of priorities and how close to FFP we reallly are. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I think it probably only brings it forward by a year tbf. 

Ya reckon we would be looking to upgrade in the summer?

Im so torn on this, pope has been so good for us but his limitations with the ball at his feet are an issue. 

Left back is another really interesting quandary I feel. 

4 hours ago, r0cafella said:

So here’s a question for everyone. 

For the goal keeper situation how would you remedy it?

1, buy a new first choice keeper in January 

2, Bring in someone to cover for Pope on a short term basis for a small outlay (loan, low fee or short term deal). 
3, continue as we are

In really curious to see how everyone would handle this. 

I think there’s other areas of the squad that need investment more than a Pope replacement or a keeper to compete for the no1 spot. Ramsdale isn’t a massive upgrade and he’d be in a similar situation to where he’s at now. 

De Gea on a short term contract and save the money for a proper RW, CM or CB for me. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Ya reckon we would be looking to upgrade in the summer?

Im so torn on this, pope has been so good for us but his limitations with the ball at his feet are an issue. 

Left back is another really interesting quandary I feel. 

Sorry I meant next summer (2025). We might have to get creative with these daft loan-to-buy clauses again but if the right keeper is there in January and we can do it, I reckon we should.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

4 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Forgot to add the fourth option :lol:

4, sigh a ramsdale level keeper at what such a player would be valued at? (I consider this almost a side grade). 

Would anyone fancy that? Basically two keepers of roughly equal ability competing for the 1. 

Conventional wisdom is that you can't have two number 1's competing with one another. Otherwise whoever holds the shirt is going to be jittery that one mistake is going to cost them their place. Goalkeeper is the position where confidence is the most essential.

Schmeichel was very clear about this at the start of the season re the Arsenal situation, and it looks like he was right.

We can’t go through the rest of the season with either Dubs or Karius in goal. Can see already our defence is not half as good when that turncoat in goal. Pope is very good but I think we need someone who is better with there feet and we would have being look for a replacement in the summer 

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Problem is, if you replace pope then your hands are FFP tied for other areas of the pitch. 

I guess it’s a question of priorities and how close to FFP we reallly are. 

Goalkeeper should be prioritised ahead of any other considerations.  If the view is that what we have isn’t good enough, then strengthening elsewhere is meaningless.  If your GK is costing you a couple of goals per game, I’m not convinced that getting a DM or a RW really is going to make up that difference. 

3 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Ramsdale isn't a Pope upgrade and will cost about 50 million , totally bizarre transfer if the rumours are true .

Agreed. Looking at Vicario at Spurs there are better deals to be done on the continent.

Think it all depends who is available in Jan. Club have shown in previous windows that, if they feel a long term target is available, they will make it happen somehow. I have a feeling Howe's number 1 target is Ramsdale, which I don't see happening in Jan. No way Arsenal will want to do us any favours in terms of structured payments etc. 

A confident and calm top quality keeper is worth their weight in gold. As important as a goalscorer in form. The stability of it makes the whole team less nervous in many situations knowing that there's a commanding wall present at tha last post.

Can't stress enough how much of a difference it makes, never mind for the back four. Keeping clean sheets or conceding very very few always give you a massive chance to nick a win with only a goal or two scored, Not breaking news, but still. As important as any part of the spine, if not one of the most important even when considering the belief and confidence it adds to a team. 

Edited by Ikon

1 minute ago, Adam P said:

Only a loan for a keeper makes any sense, spending money to cover Pope's injury make little footballing or financial sense. 

Even if it's the keeper we see as our #1 for the next 10 years? 

We spent £40m on Livramento who, injuries aside, was initially going to be Trippier's understudy.

5 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Even if it's the keeper we see as our #1 for the next 10 years? 

We spent £40m on Livramento who, injuries aside, was initially going to be Trippier's understudy.

Then we would have to sell Pope after he recovers or put an England international on the bench and spend 40m at the same time. Sure, when the time is right we need to invest in the next keeper but its not now. 

Edited by Adam P

1 minute ago, Adam P said:

Then we would have to sell Pope after he recovers or put an England international on the bench and spend 40m at the same time. Sure, when the time is right we need to invest in the next keeper but its not now. 

If your going the route of upgrading you sell him in the summer. He is too good and has too much career left to be a number 2.  

6 minutes ago, Adam P said:

I’d say there is no other time than now.  Watching Dubravka and Karius in nets for the next five months could cost us a lot of points.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Prefer a loan. A cheap Pope replacement would cost £20m and an expensive replacement is £50m. FFP wise it's not the best allocation of money while we have Almiron RW and Lascelles back-up CB.

Who is more likely to win you more points - a first rate goalkeeper or a third choice centre half?