NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

As someone who barely watches anything other than English football, Gibbs-White has been near the top of my own personal most wanted list for a while. Think he'd fit into our system like a glove, plus he does set pieces and pennos. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

As someone who barely watches anything other than English football, Gibbs-White has been near the top of my own personal most wanted list for a while. Think he'd fit into our system like a glove, plus he does set pieces and pennos. 

In place of Almiron?

IMO he's a 10 who sometimes plays wide. I *think* he would be good at 8, great profile for it. But he hasn't played there much in the PL from what I've seen.

Re the Paqueta comparison. It might be down to how they're deployed but I see Paqueta almost like a downgraded-Modric. He gets stuck in but really controls the tempo of a game from the middle of the pitch. I think for a more possession-based team Paqueta would still find those progressive cute passes all over the pitch. Whenever I see MGW he's an attacker for a counter-attacking thundering around the pitch at pace. He's not dictating play or even trying too - he's trying to score and create.

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I generally don't like the whole 'huhuh, if he was called Morguén G Blanc everyone would be desperate for us to sign him' but that feels very much the case in this instance like. He's shown that he's a really good player at this level with room to improve. He would fit hand in glove in our system and improve us massively working between the lines imo. Can't see it happening at all though tbh. The time to get him was when Forest did.  

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

In place of Almiron?

IMO he's a 10 who sometimes plays wide. I *think* he would be good at 8, great profile for it. But he hasn't played there much in the PL from what I've seen.

Not as a like-for-like swap; just as an addition to our raft of versatile attacking players. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

I think MGW is class just not sure how fits in our 433 and have concerns over the price which will be eye watering. 

Been saying it for years and usually get rinsed for it :lol:, but 433 and 4231 are nigh on the the same system just with a slightly tweaked midfield and are interchangable really quickly along with 451. For me we can easily mix between the two options with him both as one of the flat 3 in a 433 or as the advanced player in the 4231. 

18 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Their best player every time.

Michael Carrick

Dimitar Berbatov

Gareth Bale

Luka Modric

Harry Kane

Oh yeah :lol:

I could only think of Kane for some reason.

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Their best player every time.

Michael Carrick

Dimitar Berbatov

Gareth Bale

Luka Modric

Harry Kane

Missing Erickson off that list as well 

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Been saying it for years and usually get rinsed for it :lol:, but 433 and 4231 are nigh on the the same system just with a slightly tweaked midfield and are interchangable really quickly along with 451. For me we can easily mix between the two options with him both as one of the flat 3 in a 433 or as the advanced player in the 4231. 

Think there's a pretty big distinction between the 2.

You think of classic 4-3-3 teams Guardiola's Barca, Rijkaard's Barca, any variation of Carlo's 4-3-3 for Madrid, Klopp's Liverpool. Very different to a 4-2-3-1.

I think the makeup of the midfield 3 is very different. In a 4-2-3-1 you can carry a classic luxury #10 and he's usually a crucial man. That player is usually tasked with a lot of G/A. You can play Ozil, Bergkamp type players there. And the 2 CMs usually "sit deeper". Also i think you can get away with more traditional wingers in a 4-2-3-1, like a Ryan Giggs. Typically a 4-2-3-1 is more defensive than a 4-3-3.

In a 4-3-3 there's more responsibility on the deepest midfielder and usually more athleticism required from the 8's. Crucially there's no 10. So goal creation and scoring is more dependent on the top 3 rather than being shared across 4 attackers.

The profile is different imo.

In the Eddie Howe thread there’s a chorus of complaints about how we need to adapt our play, have a plan B, try new things, etc etc.

In this thread there is pushback on MGW because he doesn’t fit our system.

Personally I think he’d be an outstanding signing. Just ignore the fact some journalist said he was an Almiron replacement - he wouldn’t be aside from it being one body out, one body in.

Spurs have always been a selling club, whether it's star players or promising youngsters. I don't want NUFC to become a club like that but it seems like it's the way to go for the next 5-10 years tbh.

21 minutes ago, sempuki said:

Very young and not a finished article.

But I would be over the moon if we sign him, exiting prospect and I think he will be a star!

Must say I find the link a bit strange, he is primarily a left winger and right footed.

3 minutes ago, High Five o said:

Very young and not a finished article.

But I would be over the moon if we sign him, exiting prospect and I think he will be a star!

Must say I find the link a bit strange, he is primarily a left winger and right footed.

We haven't been seriously linked with any left-footed attacker since Diaby.

I wouldn't normally give any talk of MGW the time of day, but because the genuine (:lol:) interest from Saudi to spend £30m on Miggy might actually lead to a sale, who knows?

I actually think he would do really well over there so it's win-win all round.