NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

11 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

We can't be taking Spurs reserves on loan mind , it would be embarrassing.

Embarrassing how? All the managers on the touchline will be pointing and laughing at Howe and Tindall during the match?

you won’t be able to show your face at work until the loan deal ends?

14 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I think a lot of people are underestimating him personally. Bloke had three MotM performances last season, Longstaff has had one in his entire PL career (two overall inc. cups). We've not got a DM like him who's as positionally aware as he is. He'd allow us to mix it up tactically.

And he's 28 - he's not going to take months to get up to speed.

I’m not going to claim to have watched him loads and might be doing him a real disservice but for four months where our main aim at this point is 7th or a run at the FA cup, it doesn’t feel like a signing that significantly raises those possibilities. Feels more like he’d stop us sliding backwards if injuries continue. With Willock close to being back then there’s a midfield of Bruno, Sean and Willock that I’d probably go for over Hojbjerg. It might be different if he had more time but we know what Howe’s like for bedding people in anyway

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I’m not going to claim to have watched him loads and might be doing him a real disservice but for four months where our main aim at this point is 7th or a run at the FA cup, it doesn’t feel like a signing that significantly raises those possibilities. Feels more like he’d stop us sliding backwards if injuries continue. With Willock close to being back then there’s a midfield of Bruno, Sean and Willock that I’d probably go for over Hojbjerg. It might be different if he had more time but we know what Howe’s like for bedding people in anyway

Not think we could bring him in and give Bruno a bit more freedom further up the pitch though? Could be useful in certain scenarios. Bruno would pick up a lot of Longstaff's key passing and scoring opportunities and you'd not be giving up any space between the defence and midfield. There's a few times we've looked awfully exposed there - my guess is that's what Hojberg / Onana is being looked at for. Preference is Hojberg if it's a straight choice between a loan or a 60m fee for Onana [emoji38]

21 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

We literally can’t win PL games with our current midfield.  They’ve played four, lost four, with Villa away next.

Not seeing where the embarrassment factor comes in.  Their turnover is twice ours - we’re not their competitor.  

so publicly Howe is saying we want to keep everyone and that may be true for this window but unfortunately they going to have to get used to selling players even ones they still had "plans" for not always going to be the surplus to requirement lot, update appears quite grim to be honest. 

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Howe confirmed we did want Philips but couldn’t afford him.

No, he said we stepped away for financial reasons.

My view of that was that it didn’t represent value for money.

Just now, Mazzy said:

"We can't afford Kalvin Philips £6M loan fee"

3 days later...

"Newcastle sign Forrest star Morgan Gibbs-White on a 6yr deal for £65M"

Here’s hoping! More seriously, I think that relative value, fit with overall plans and value for money will be factors; not just affordability independent of the wider context. 

1 hour ago, Geogaddi said:

Played in 129/135 PL games the last 3.5 seasons, Man Utd loaned an actual Spurs reserve this very season and it still wasnt embarrassing.

31 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

so publicly Howe is saying we want to keep everyone and that may be true for this window but unfortunately they going to have to get used to selling players even ones they still had "plans" for not always going to be the surplus to requirement lot, update appears quite grim to be honest. 

I think he said the same things regarding ASM before he was sold. "Wants to keep him, valued member of the squad etc"

Just now, alexf said:

I think he said the same things regarding ASM before he was sold. "Wants to keep him, valued member of the squad etc"

Agreed he and the club are good at saying one thing and doing another or at the very least keeping cards close to their chests.

I can understand if its true we want to keep them he wouldn't want to affect squad harmony by saying publicly they can go with the clubs blessing only for a sale not to happen and the player to not feel valued. I also understand saying this player or that player is free to leave maybe takes away some the leverage if we are still currently negotiating with a potential buying club.  

I know the club cannot win here we want news and info and no comment is frustrating to hear as the media will fill the blanks just sometimes it feels like we are standing still or hanging on injured players coming back to "save" our season. A new player or two could be the boost the squad needs. 

5 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

The least shocking thing about How's press conference is him saying he wants everyone he's asked about to stay. Could've put money on it.

Why would he say anything else?

Those players still play for us, are still needed on the pitch, and may not leave if they either don't want to or we can't agree terms with the buying clubs.

Twitter (I know) seems awash with people who think he should have openly said that he wants to sell certain players, honestly so many people are thick as whale spunk. Or they think their personal right to know Howe's plans trumps in some way our need as a team to function well on the pitch and get results. Either way though, idiots.

Again, Twitter(!) has loads saying Howe's either a liar for not saying he wants rid of people, or a shit manager for actually not wanting rid of them. Are people that incapable of thinking things through beyond the press conference itself? Or their own self importance and neediness to know what's actually happening?

He's saying what anyone with half a brain would say. Players may or may not leave, and he has to cover the possibility that they may not and have them still committed to the cause and giving 100% on the pitch.