NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, Gawalls said:

You don’t know that - none of us know where we’re with in PSR except we flew so close to the sun last season.  If that £65m we spend on Guehi puts us say £15m in the red then it’s not absolutely worth it as we cannot sell players to make that up.

Balancing revenue at this club for the next few years will be difficult as most of the old regime players are unsellable and we can’t tap into that.

I can't believe more hasn't been made of the EPL bailing Man Utd out with the covid loan and the Glazers putting the cost of the takeover onto the club instead of paying it themselves.

3 hours ago, Mazzy said:

I know it's all guesswork but this is pretty much the crux of it. Guehi probably isn't worth £65/70M considering everything. BUT, if we lose Schar or even Burn/Kelly for any longer than a couple of matches, having Guehi there is then absolutely worth paying that £65M.

Imagine having to play Krafth and Burn CB pair in the League Cup Final or FA Cup Semi against any top side. There's no doubt we need a top quality CB in ASAP and Guehi is that.

dont think any level of spin makes Marc Guehi worth 65m tbf. Think the league agrees as well, as that seems ballpark of Palace's estimate, and no one seems to be coming close of that valuation, ourselves included.

Worth pointing out - smart clubs don't go around plunking down 15m extra cash in a PSR world just because X player fits the system well. That's just a surefire way to be unprofitable, as you'll never make back what you expended.

What we really need is to give Mitchell the reins to do what he does best, and let Eddie do what he does best, and keep them segregated best we can. A Monaco/Mitchell style system where we bring in scores of youthful talent on cheap, both to grow the first team and make profitable transfer business is what's needed to press on. Guehi never fit the bill and was clearly straight off the Eddie wishlist, and I hope PIF will have the cajones to say to him in future windows that transfers aren't his turf anymore.

5 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

dont think any level of spin makes Marc Guehi worth 65m tbf. Think the league agrees as well, as that seems ballpark of Palace's estimate, and no one seems to be coming close of that valuation, ourselves included.

Worth pointing out - smart clubs don't go around plunking down 15m extra cash in a PSR world just because X player fits the system well. That's just a surefire way to be unprofitable, as you'll never make back what you expended.

What we really need is to give Mitchell the reins to do what he does best, and let Eddie do what he does best, and keep them segregated best we can. A Monaco/Mitchell style system where we bring in scores of youthful talent on cheap, both to grow the first team and make profitable transfer business is what's needed to press on. Guehi never fit the bill and was clearly straight off the Eddie wishlist, and I hope PIF will have the cajones to say to him in future windows that transfers aren't his turf anymore.

See ya Eddie, its been emotional 

Just now, Upthemags said:

?

I think his point is you’re insinuating that Howe has no control over transfers moving forwards? I don’t see that working either. Plus we don’t know whether Guehi was exclusively a Howe choice, there’s usually a collective decision on targets.

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think his point is you’re insinuating that Howe has no control over transfers moving forwards? I don’t see that working either. Plus we don’t know whether Guehi was exclusively a Howe choice, there’s usually a collective decision on targets.

Thats a possible interpretation for him to have I guess, but nowhere did I say that. Any functional transfer system would have active feedback/input from Howe.

With that said, in any functional system, an elite DoF who's performed time and again at multiple clubs can't have a manager calling the shots over his head. Surely all'd agree that Howe is at his best when he's managing the squad.

Yes, we don't know Guehi was solely a Howe move. But it does look like one.

5 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Thats a possible interpretation for him to have I guess, but nowhere did I say that. Any functional transfer system would have active feedback/input from Howe.

With that said, in any functional system, an elite DoF who's performed time and again at multiple clubs can't have a manager calling the shots over his head. Surely all'd agree that Howe is at his best when he's managing the squad.

I do agree with you on the point of letting people excel at what their best at so trust both Mitchell and Howe on that, you don’t employ Bill Gates to set up laptops for example.

16 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

You did say to keep Mitchell and Howe segregated and not pick off the Howe wish list.

8 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I do agree with you on the point of letting people excel at what their best at so trust both Mitchell and Howe on that, you don’t employ Bill Gates to set up laptops for example.

We’ve got all the right people in the right places now. Mitchel is known for unearthing gems and I’m sure we’ll see those in the medium and long term. Occasionally when a big player becomes available though there’s no harm in going for them whether it’s a Howe biased, Mitchel biased or dual decision. Like any working relationships one needs to respect the others viewpoint otherwise it won’t work. For what we need right now Howe and Mitchel are ideal.