NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I don't think FFP is a good idea at all, the point was to stop the likes of Ridsdale at Leeds spending money they didn't have and almost bankrupting the club.

I think if you can prove you have the money to spend, you should be allowed to, UEFA/FIFA's job is to protect the sport for the benefit of the clubs and the fans. I can't see how preventing "NEW"  money coming into the system does that.

Agree , you want actual financial fair play? Copy NBA method, set a salary cap & transfer cap for every team, team who exceed cap require to pay additional luxury tax which will distribute to all teams in the same league 

edit : It's not perfect, but it's way better than current fuck up FFP imo

Edited by teohgk

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

Requires a legal challenge, its a restriction on trade.

I suspect that ultimately this is what Man City are banking on.

They may well succeed, because judges are human and they like to make their presence felt. It would be a sad day though. Sport is an artificial world in which the participants agree to abide by a set of rules to ensure mutual fair play within that world. If a participant doesn't want to abide by those rules, they should leave the game.

36 minutes ago, teohgk said:

Agree , you want actual financial fair play? Copy NBA method, set a salary cap & transfer cap for every team, team who exceed cap require to pay additional luxury tax which will distribute to all teams in the same league 

edit : It's not perfect, but it's way better than current fuck up FFP imo

I don't know about this. North American sports operate within closed shops - you don't get a Bournemouth rising through the leagues and automatically displacing another team when they get to a certain position. They also don't have to face competition from other countries, where a Real Madrid can pay much higher salaries and take away the best players.

If you were starting off with a blank sheet, I could maybe see how it would work, but I don't think it would suit our current situation of large inequality but large mobility.

There was a salary cap and retain and transfer system until the sixties. Since then, there has been a growth in inequality, which FFP has been brought in to redress. The plus point of the overall development is that the quality of the product is far more entertaining than it was.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Craig Hope saying Barnes and Livramento are the two live deals we are working on.

It’s what was rumoured yesterday, and what i was discussing with Exiled in Texas. 

Hold up is Ashworth not willing to give the green light on Barnes, until we have firm offer/agreement with Saudi club for ASM. Once agreed, both deals roll through. We then use the profit on Livramento to push through with that deal. 

Edited by Toon88

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Craig Hope saying Barnes and Livramento are the two live deals we are working on.

Bit of a non-update from Fab too on his podcast. Looking to complete the Barnes deal this week and we're talking to CBs on the list including Disasi. 

Edited by The Prophet

It’s also got to be remembered it was clearly stated at the time in January, funds were brought forward from summer budget for the Gordon deal.

In my opinion there’s no way Barnes joins without St Max leaving, taking into account FFP constraints signing 2 predominately left sided attackers from the same budget would appear overkill, when we have other areas crying out for investment.

An ageing, slow back line needs upgrading I don’t care what the stats say about last season, we’ll be found out big style next season without a new LB and CB.

13 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

It’s what was rumoured yesterday, and what i was discussing with Exiled in Texas. 

Hold up is Ashworth not willing to give the green light on Barnes, until we have firm offer/agreement with Saudi club for ASM. Once agreed, both deals roll through. We then use the profit on Livramento to push through with that deal. 

Why would us selling a left winger have any influence on us buying a right back though?

7 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It’s also got to be remembered it was clearly stated at the time in January, funds were brought forward from summer budget for the Gordon deal.

In my opinion there’s no way Barnes joins without St Max leaving, taking into account FFP constraints signing 2 predominately left sided attackers from the same budget would appear overkill, when we have other areas crying out for investment.

An ageing, slow back line needs upgrading I don’t care what the stats say about last season, we’ll be found out big style next season without a new LB and CB.

I think we are 1 midfielder light aswell 

7 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The Villa away game highlighted some of those vulnerabilities.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Why would us selling a left winger have any influence on us buying a right back though?

Roughly ASM holds a value of £5.5 million on the books (£16.5 million split over 6 years) so anything above that can be booked as pure profit this year help No with FFP, so if he was sold for £35 million it would mean £29.5 million profit on the accounts.

If Barnes was bought for £40 million on a 5 year deal it would be £8 million spend this year on the books, same goes for Livramento with his lesser fee.

LB and CB should be absolute priorities, even if we just got those we would still be competitive next season, but without 1 or 2 more attacking players, particularly RW I think we will struggle to compete on all fronts.

We should be looking to offload:

Maxi 30-40 mil

Lascelles 10-15 mil

Darlow 5 mil

Obviously the likes of Hendrick and Lewis should just be given away to clear the wage bill at this point.

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If we really are constrained by FFP, I wouldn’t necessarily expect LW and RB to be the 2 position we target next. 

There’s more money, it’s just these are the deals that are active right now. ASM has always been seen as the key to unlocking the rest of the window. Him sold, allows Barnes & Livramento to come in and our accounts look good, as has been stated by Matt. We then target LB & CB. Transfers are about timing as well. A LB might be a priority, but transfers don’t always come in order, due to a number of reasons.

Anderson, like Brennan Johnson, we won’t be targetting. PL prices are ridiculous, hence why we’ve targeted Championship clubs for Barnes & Livramento.

Edited by Toon88

FFP is only an issue if we buy poorly. I could see why Maxi staying or going would determine us going for Barnes as they would be competing for the same position, but we could spend another 60m sorting our defence out and not be in danger of breaking FFP. I just cannot see how Maxi effects that.

If we can get them at our price you would imagine we will, regardless of any sales.

EDIT: We'll sign Livramento (if we're after him) when Southampton break on the price.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If we really are constrained by FFP, I wouldn’t necessarily expect LW and RB to be the 2 position we target next. 

It is potentially both, that we have money earmarked for certain positions but didn’t expect Barnes to be available and to move for Livramento this summer.

Selling ASM helps with FFP for both, plus you wouldn’t sign Barnes with ASM still here.

We had the money for Tonali and was still looking at the Hungarian guy that went to Liverpool, so potentially money is still there if we can find the right player to play on the right.

Edited by Matt1892

13 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

LB and CB should be absolute priorities, even if we just got those we would still be competitive next season, but without 1 or 2 more attacking players, particularly RW I think we will struggle to compete on all fronts.

We should be looking to offload:

Maxi 30-40 mil

Lascelles 10-15 mil

Darlow 5 mil

Obviously the likes of Hendrick and Lewis should just be given away to clear the wage bill at this point.

Maxi - £50

Dubravka, Lascelles, Darlow, Lewis - £25m for the lot.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

We can’t lose Dubs and Darlow.

Most clubs have one first-choice, a backup, then a third keeper who'll never play. 

Pope is clear number 1 and we've just given Karius and Gillespie deals. I doubt Dubravka and Darlow will stay. We might get £7m for Dubravka but can see Darlow being loaned again and us paying a chunk of the wage. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We can’t lose Dubs and Darlow.

we could lose Darlow and bring in a Scott Carson type for the Third choice.

will dibs be happy sitting on the bench for another season if say Inter come in for him? At £15m for the 2 less £3-4m for the third choice it becomes a conversation point imo