NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, BoSelecta said:

Dubs + lascelles is easily £25m in this market.

I think Dubravka's failed Mancunian adventure rules out any sort of meaningful fee. You'd expect a small fee for Lascelles but we're in a very poor bargaining position for the likes of Lewis, Fraser, Darlow, Hayden etc because we've made it absolutely clear that they're expendable. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Most clubs have one first-choice, a backup, then a third keeper who'll never play. 

Pope is clear number 1 and we've just given Karius and Gillespie deals. I doubt Dubravka and Darlow will stay. We might get £7m for Dubravka but can see Darlow being loaned again and us paying a chunk of the wage. 

Would you feel comfortable if Pope got injured, relying on Karius for any length of time ? 

5 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Dubs + lascelles is easily £25m in this market.

It isn't like. Dubravka is an injury prone 34 year old goalie and Lascelles has a year left on his deal. 

Just because it's what you want it to be doesn't mean that's what it is. If we could get £25 million for those two they'd already be long, long gone.

Time and time again it is clear we more or less can't give our fringe players away because they're crap and yet people think it's football manager. If we could sell people like that we wouldn't be considered cashing in on a genuine asset like Maxi.

Edited by ponsaelius

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Would you feel comfortable if Pope got injured, relying on Karius for any length of time ? 

Doesn't matter what I feel, though I do like him. Those are the facts though unless we sell one of him and Gillespie which won't happen a month after they've just extended a contract. 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Doesn't matter what I feel, though I do like him. Those are the facts though unless we sell one of him and Gillespie which won't happen a month after they've just extended a contract. 

I don’t think Gillespie getting a new deal means anything tbh. Similar to Dummett getting a new deal.

Every club in the land is dealing with FFP and financial controls. Players with potential or age on their side (and low wages) will continue to go for big money, but aging average players on big contracts you will just not be getting fees for anymore. Every single club has to operate in a landscape where players are financial assets to be bought and sold with the future in mind.

It's honestly a bloody miracle that we had Forest give us money for Wood and a nominal fee for Shelvey in this market.

Edited by ponsaelius

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We should only be looking register 3 keepers, like. Not sure why we'd give him a contract to be u21 keeper?

He’s very popular around the training ground and won’t be on much at all. 

Isn’t he home grown as well ? Not sure if that means much regarding registration.

Edited by SUPERTOON

Dubravka is a really solid shot-stopper and Lascelles is a prime age no-nonsense centre back with plenty of Premier League experience, he seems great to have in the dressing room as well. They seem perfect for a promoted side but they can probably get better value (at least on paper) elsewhere. Forrest showed what you can buy for similar fees.

I know it shouldn’t but there’s a creeping element of frustration for me around this window. Need to keep reminding myself this is the new nufc and trust the new management team to do be doing things right. 

Premier League clubs are not stupid like they used to be. The likes of Brentford and Bournemouth etc might be small clubs but they're ran by serious people, data driven, solid sporting and business models.

The days of clubs having no scouting network to speak of and just buying solid aging pros on big salaries to stay up is gone.

I just can't see any market for Lascelles in this game. I like him and he's been a good pro for NUFC but he is not a modern PL defender and is a depreciating asset. A comparable player is maybe Conor Coady who Wolves managed to get £7 million for at the same age. But he's a better player, played multiple times for England, played far more football in recent years. And he's been signed by a Championship club looking to recruit for a specific promotion niche. 

Clubs will still see some value in an experienced solid defender in a dressing room, like Brentford picking up somebody like Ben Mee. But he was a free transfer.

59 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We can’t lose Dubs and Darlow.

Why can’t we? We have just gave Gillespie & Karius new contracts. I know Gillespie’s is playing the system for the home grown rule but we can’t use up squad places with 4 keepers or is that normal? Do other PL clubs have 4 keepers? 

56 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s not really up to us. Howe obviously does or he wouldn’t have offered him a new contract :lol:

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

It’s not really up to us. Howe obviously does or he wouldn’t have offered him a new contract :lol:

It’s a message board for opinions mate, everyone is free to express their own 👍

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

It’s a message board for opinions mate, everyone is free to express their own 👍

Of course. Didn’t say you couldn’t. Point is everything points to Dubravka leaving so far