NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

13 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Yeah we probably have to go for a temporary solution given it’s mid season and upgrading Pope at this point might be difficult. 

pretty sure Lloris turned us down in the summer though?

Wasn’t Lloris absolutely horrendous for Spurs last season? If his performance against us at SJP is anything to go off, he’s no better than Dubravka atm. 

I'd prefer de Gea to Lloris. That one where Lloris bounced off Wilson and Wilson lobbed him. :mike:

Getting back to Dubs, but the other question is how did he get injured if his only game prior to this week was Man U in the Carabao?

6 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Wasn’t Lloris absolutely horrendous for Spurs last season? If his performance against us at SJP is anything to go off, he’s no better than Dubravka atm. 

Yeah, they couldn’t wait to get shot of him. 

but ultimately, we are in a rough spot, any bandaid solution is going to be worst than pope. The last thing we should do is pay good money for a keeper who is about as good as pope. We either get a better keeper or go with a bandaid. 

FFP doing its job as usual, we don’t have margin for error. 

Just now, nufc123 said:

After the Besiktas spell he has played what is it, four or five games in three years. Career almost over at the age of 27. 

All a bit sad really but at least his wife / girlfriend must make up for it 

11 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I'd prefer de Gea to Lloris. That one where Lloris bounced off Wilson and Wilson lobbed him. :mike:

Getting back to Dubs, but the other question is how did he get injured if his only game prior to this week was Man U in the Carabao?

Players get injured in training as well.

Pope is firmly in that group of keepers that sits just under the elite level of

Alisson

Ederson
Courtios

ter Stegen

Mike Maignan

---

Martinez

Pope

Vicario

Sanchez

Raya

Pickford
---

The scope of keepers isn't that great at the moment, if it was you wouldn't have the likes of Jason Steele being first choice for Brighton. Yet, because they're committed to playing out from the back he's the best option available. This belief there's a host of GKs capable of passing it about is odd. Alisson, Edersen, Neuer are on another level.  Onana who Man U bought to be able to play out from the back, seems to be another GK that decieves to be good at playing out from the back and lacks the traditional strengths of a keeper. 

I wouldn't want Sanchez or Raya at Newcastle, compared to Pope they might be a step up in playing out from the back, but seem to have an absolute moment of madness desperate to break out every game (far more than Pope). Neto and Jose Sa look good, but I'm not sure anyone would be happy with them coming. 

I thought Vicario was an accident waiting to happen, but I was wrong on that one, he's looking like the best 'cheap' option for what we'd be after (but he's at Spurs now). 

@Minhosa Think it would be very poor from the owners if they mucked about a genuine opportunity to help Howe and the fatigued/hurt squad. There are glaring issues with our team and no amount of Miley, Anderson, Willock, or Longstaff will make up for the loss of Tonali and what that should have done for us over the course of a season. Pope's injury and Dubravka being a far different keeper doesn't help at all. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Are people now thinking GK is the number one priority in January ?

RW/CM still more of a priority for me but we have an opportunity for a keeper should take it. Don't think the keeper issue would have stood out as bad If our outfield players were in good form. We've put a lot of pressure on to Dubravka with poor play and defensive fuck ups.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Are people now thinking GK is the number one priority in January ?

Echoing the skepticism here - much more pressing needs with our current makeup/injury list. And unless you want to dump Pope for good, it wouldn't make sense to allocate what's already a tight budget towards a new keeper. RW > Midfield > CB > GK imo

20 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Players get injured in training as well.

That's true. It also fits perfectly into the narrative of our season. Our backup keeper actually nursing a training injury when our number one goes down.

On the subject of narratives, we could get Keylor Navas in for Wednesday to see if he can go further in the competition than his old mates at PSG.

If Dubs is injured, it means Karius playing in the CL for the first time since that final.