NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Board really needs to back Howe in Jan and get some quality reinforcements in to give everyone a lift and help us push for top four or at least secure Europe. Injuries in danger of completely derailing the season but things can turn around and I think we’ll have a strong second half of the season. The board needs to come through for Howe in Jan though. 

The fact that we were relying on Dubravka and Matt Richie to get us through a cup quarter final shows how much work the squad still needs. Obviously the injury situation is pretty dire but both are still part of our 25.

It's going to be a tough window to navigate. I think there's a chance they play it safe, assume we get a few key players back early in the new year and hope our easier schedule allows us to stay competitive. That'll allow us to go big in the summer for our primary targets (whoever they may be).

David absolutely fits the bill as another desperately needed CF option but one who'll get plenty of game time playing out wide too.

Young enough that there's some real potential to take a jump forward as a player too.

Just now, Shak said:

David absolutely fits the bill as another desperately needed CF option but one who'll get plenty of game time playing out wide too.

Young enough that there's some real potential to take a jump forward as a player too.

My take on it. Good deal for this stage of our evolution, price dependent obviously.

1 minute ago, Shak said:

From my Dennis wise scouting he looks awful :lol: constantly falling over his feet and nothing looking particularly clean and this was his highlights. 

Haven’t seen him with my own eyes so no clue if he’s actually any good mind. 

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Board really needs to back Howe in Jan and get some quality reinforcements in to give everyone a lift and help us push for top four or at least secure Europe. Injuries in danger of completely derailing the season but things can turn around and I think we’ll have a strong second half of the season. The board needs to come through for Howe in Jan though. 

Don’t think we can ask much more of the board in fairness. They have spent fortunes and would have spent more if not for ffp.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t think we can ask much more of the board in fairness. They have spent fortunes and would have spent more if not for ffp.

Absolutely, we are basically at the glass ceiling now. Meanwhile Chelsea who lose a million a week for many years are fine to drop a bill and it’s called fair play :lol: 

Also, Ornstein last week said we had some margin to do something in this window so we will how it plays out. 

I hope we stick to our plan personally and focus on the long term, short term fixes should be limited to loans or freebies imo. 

9 hours ago, KaKa said:

Watched Lille so much over the last few years in BT Sport.

David is one of those that doesn't necessarily catch the eye, but is just so intelligent and effective. He is so underrated I think. Plays upfront and right, left and number 10. A+ mentality and character by all accounts too. Won the league with Botman at Lille and all.

Has to go to the right team, and I think he'd fit very well at Newcastle as Howe gives his players a lot of direction and puts them in position to succeed.

Think he'd do well here.

Seen him for a while, even before Lille whilst he was in Belgium, and for Canada.

He can play on the wing, but that’s not his strongest position. It’s a bit like when Ba was on the wing to put Cissé upfront.

He can play there, but you are shoehorning.

Davids problem is that he regularly misses easy chances, but will score the harder ones. His close control is a bit Joelinton like, before Howe. He needs to have that decent spell where he is consistent to then become class at it, but at the moment he’s a bit Shola like.

In my opinion, he needed to come to the Premier League a couple of seasons ago, a year ago at the latest. It will take quite some work for him to reach his potential at this level. I guess though if he’s coming to the Premier League for a top 6-8 side, his best chance of success would be with us, and Howe. Anywhere else and he’d flop, unless you went to one of the also fans and got plenty of game time.

For what it’s worth, we were rumoured to be getting him the summer before we bought Isak.

11 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Two good signings this January and we're laughing. Assuming there are no additional injuries, of course :yao:

Sureky there’s a player out there who can play all 3 forward roles? It’s a priority - along with a 6

Then a CB and RW in the summer 

39 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Seen him for a while, even before Lille whilst he was in Belgium, and for Canada.

He can play on the wing, but that’s not his strongest position. It’s a bit like when Ba was on the wing to put Cissé upfront.

He can play there, but you are shoehorning.

Davids problem is that he regularly misses easy chances, but will score the harder ones. His close control is a bit Joelinton like, before Howe. He needs to have that decent spell where he is consistent to then become class at it, but at the moment he’s a bit Shola like.

In my opinion, he needed to come to the Premier League a couple of seasons ago, a year ago at the latest. It will take quite some work for him to reach his potential at this level. I guess though if he’s coming to the Premier League for a top 6-8 side, his best chance of success would be with us, and Howe. Anywhere else and he’d flop, unless you went to one of the also fans and got plenty of game time.

For what it’s worth, we were rumoured to be getting him the summer before we bought Isak.

Wow ... I have never watched him and thought his control was anything like Shola or Joelinton at all. 

When he is played out wide he definitely doesn't play like a winger running at players, but more of a wide forward that moves the ball on intelligently and then gets into positions to score from.

You say he misses a lot of easy chances and needs a decent spell, but he has scored at a high rate very consistently everywhere he's been. He scored 24 league goals at Lille last season.

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

From my Dennis wise scouting he looks awful :lol: constantly falling over his feet and nothing looking particularly clean and this was his highlights. 

Haven’t seen him with my own eyes so no clue if he’s actually any good mind. 

I'm so confused by some of these descriptions of the guy I have watched [emoji38]

Could you please share the highlight video you watched where he looked awful and was falling over his feet.

I'm genuinely baffled by this [emoji38]

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I'm so confused by some of these descriptions of the guy I have watched [emoji38]

Could you please share the highlight video you watched where he looked awful and was falling over his feet.

I'm genuinely baffled by this [emoji38]

First one on google. Welcome to AC Milan one I think :lol:

Feels like this window is just as important as PIFs first one, we are at a pivotal point with a depleted squad, extremely low on moral and fitness. For European aspirations we desperately need backup options and first team replacements in a few positions.

2 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Feels like this window is just as important as PIFs first one, we are at a pivotal point with a depleted squad, extremely low on moral and fitness. For European aspirations we desperately need backup options and first team replacements in a few positions.

It may feel that way but trust me, it isn’t even close. We do nothing In this window we will at minimum fight for a place in the conference league. 

This season has felt rough but we are still in a decent position and I’ve got no doubt we will be back stronger than ever next season. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Fair point. I wasn’t saying they’ve been lacking or it didn’t mean to suggest that. I just mean they have to go all out for deals if they’re there to be done (no reason to think they wouldn’t back Howe obvs)

Edited by ExiledGeordie

44 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah ... still not seeing what you said from that video. I'm so confused :icon_scratch:

Same, thought there were numerous examples of good control, holding the ball up, moving it on quickly. Thought the video made his all round game look pretty good tbh

I feel like at this point the move is to not do anything too mad in January.

If a deal comes available for a long term target, make the move.

Otherwise it's all a bit shutting the barn door after the horse has fucked off, surely?

Unlikely any new players are gonna be ready to really contribute until after the City match.

If we get to the FA Cup final, we're looking at playing 22 matches in the last four months. Absolute max.

After City we'll have played 31 games in 5 months.

The second half of the season just isn't gonna be as demanding and we'll presumably have some players back by then so I don't know if bringing in second tier targets just because they're available in January makes a lot of sense.