NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Need pace, and he doesn’t have any. Lovely player though 

Good positional sense, though, but I do agree. We get cut open quite often when we over commit and don't have any recovery pace when getting hit on the break, which happens quite often

3 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Yeah I really like him as a player, but the way we play we need someone with pace. He would definitely help with ball retention but yeah we get cut up too easily on transitions. 

I wouldn't even know which players to suggest in that position nowadays with pace, because my knowledge of football, especially European football is nothing like it used to be.

35 minutes ago, Pablo123 said:

I wouldn't even know which players to suggest in that position nowadays with pace, because my knowledge of football, especially European football is nothing like it used to be.

Hindsight of course but Alvarez at west ham would have been great for us. They bought really well with the Rice money 

32 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We just need another option. Both Longstaff and Miley getting 20+ games each in midfield is a disgrace.

Harsh 

7 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Hindsight of course but Alvarez at west ham would have been great for us. They bought really well with the Rice money 

Yeah, we were linked, too. Seems to have settled in well and would have given us a nice balance to push Bruno on a but further.

A disgrace :lol:

Willock, Tonali, Joelinton, Anderson all regular or long term absentees through no fault of our own. We're not playing a 17 year old rookie at the very highest level for a laugh, more than half of our starting or rotation midfield isn't available, that's not something you can or even should mitigate for.

4 minutes ago, Pablo123 said:

Yeah, we were linked, too. Seems to have settled in well and would have given us a nice balance to push Bruno on a but further.

He’s been brilliant for them, him and kudus was excellent business.

Our transfer approach made absolute sense. There are some alternatives you could argue for (an RW/AM instead of Barnes, a 6 or DM instead of Tonali maybe) but with the way we play and (ironically) seeing the affect that not having Gordan and Miggy rotation options has had on the way we play, our signings covered the most amount of bases and were smart, it's just been an extremely unlucky set of circumstances.

The expression No good deed goes unpunished comes to mind.

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Wouldn’t say Alvarez has much pace mind.

We do need some bodies in soon but the finances have us over a barrel and I'd rather we didn't sign mediocre players just for the sake of it.  That's how we've ended up with a squad full of dross that we can't shift.

We need to be looking abroad and stop trying to sign players from the PL.  If you're skint you go to LIDL, not Waitrose.  I wonder if we have any targets for the summer that we might be able to bring forward on a loan with obligation basis......

RW and CM priorities imo.

2 hours ago, loki679 said:

We do need some bodies in soon but the finances have us over a barrel and I'd rather we didn't sign mediocre players just for the sake of it.  That's how we've ended up with a squad full of dross that we can't shift.

We need to be looking abroad and stop trying to sign players from the PL.  If you're skint you go to LIDL, not Waitrose.  I wonder if we have any targets for the summer that we might be able to bring forward on a loan with obligation basis......

I agree. However signing players from other leagues usually means a waiting period where they have to settle in and adjust to the PL. We arent in a position to wait or be patient imo. We need players who can perform right away. Im not against signing players from other leagues, i think that is a good strategy. Just pointing out the above.

11 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

A disgrace :lol:

Willock, Tonali, Joelinton, Anderson all regular or long term absentees through no fault of our own. We're not playing a 17 year old rookie at the very highest level for a laugh, more than half of our starting or rotation midfield isn't available, that's not something you can or even should mitigate for.

Exactly this. If we had any more options Miley probably wouldn’t have seen any action this season. There’s a balance to be struck and in terms of numbers we’re doing it just about right. Multiple severe injuries at the same time have torpedoed our season. There’s lessons to be learned in terms of spreading the workload more evenly, and we obviously need more quality if we want to compete, but to call the combined midfield options of Bruno, Tonali, Joelinton, Willock, Longstaff, Anderson and Miley a “disgrace” is laughable.

9 hours ago, loki679 said:

It’s a minor point, but we’re not skint and could happily shop at Fortnum & Mason, but all our neighbours are forcing us to shop at Heron Foods because they’re jealous of how much money we have 

Go to Saudi ASAP. It's an obvious solution - short term support til the end of the season, keeps our powder dry for the summer. Absolutely worth it - with the right 2/3 signings - the bench/first team is much stronger and can actually put a run together where we go undefeated to end of the season even. That's how fine the margins currently are. 

Get 2/3 top players on loan - ideally at least one from each row below

CM: Veiga, Milenkovic-Savic, Kante, Neves, Brozovic, Fofana, Kessie

ATT: Mahrez/Mane/ASM/Benzema

1 minute ago, kingxlnc said:

Go to Saudi ASAP. It's an obvious solution - short term support til the end of the season, keeps our powder dry for the summer. Absolutely worth it - with the right 2/3 signings - the bench/first team is much stronger and can actually put a run together where we go undefeated to end of the season even. That's how fine the margins currently are. 

Get 2/3 top players on loan - ideally at least one from each row below

CM: Veiga, Milenkovic-Savic, Kante, Neves, Brozovic, Fofana, Kessie

ATT: Mahrez/Mane/ASM/Benzema

What if Saudi teams don't want to give us players? Or those players don't want to come especially the ones who already played in England that will get hammered with tax? It's not a simple case of 'our owners are their owners' 

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

What if Saudi teams don't want to give us players? Or those players don't want to come especially the ones who already played in England that will get hammered with tax? It's not a simple case of 'our owners are their owners' 

the tax issue is massive but would it count if it was just loans.

and how much of those bastards wages would we pay?

10 hours ago, LFEE said:

Wouldn’t say Alvarez has much pace mind.

He’s not ASM for sure but he’s a good athlete. I love Bruno but sometimes it looks like he’s running with a fridge on his back 

Just now, huss9 said:

the tax issue is massive but would it count if it was just loans.

and how much of those bastards wages would we pay?

Yeah I didn't even get into the obscene wages argument. The tax thing would count for anyone classed as UK residents earning money in this tax year I'd assume. Unless footballers operate on different rules to us peasants