NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Look, those things were said tongue in cheek and there's every chance i sound like a condescending prick with this, but in well-functioning businesses, when incidents/mistakes the size of the Tonali one occurs, there's usually an internal investigation that involves deep diving your process and one of two things happens:

1. You ascertain that your process was at fault and you make it more robust to avoid the problem happening again

2. You establish that your process is as watertight as it could be, you accept that there is an element of risk involved that can't be mitigated, and you put an insurance policy in place to compensate you should that risk occur. This could be in the form of an actual insurance policy or a clause in the contract with the selling club (unlikely)

What you don't do is just shrug it off as 'one of those things' and move on without change.

We've no idea what our internal investigation found or what action we have taken as a result. Talk of phone tapping and P.I is said in jest but the suggestion that there's nothing we could have done and nothing we could do going forward is naive, and it certainly wouldn't satisfy the money-men at the club or the owners. 

I can say with 100% certainty that something will have changed following the Tonali debacle. We're too well run now for it not to have

3 minutes ago, STM said:

About an hour ago I was going to say this has been the most mental 48 hours I've ever seen, there's been about 3 things happen since. 

Strap in I feel something big incoming to ease the doom. Probably multiple deals, a big name and suddenly everyone is happy. Well everyone sane anyway 

I've kind of lost what we're going for as a club this window, so far anyway. Excited to see where we are at the end. So far we've sold a bunch of potential, brought in some shite keepers and allegedly contributed to having Gordons head turned. 

I know it's early, and I'm not worried but I'm kind of scratching my head. 

Just now, Weezertron said:

I've kind of lost what we're going for as a club this window, so far anyway. Excited to see where we are at the end. So far we've sold a bunch of potential, brought in some shite keepers and allegedly contributed to having Gordons head turned. 

I know it's early, and I'm not worried but I'm kind of scratching my head. 

Think you’ll be happy with where we end up. The names we’ve been linked with who weren’t part of swap deals have been very good, Nico Williams, Mamardashvilli, Olise etc

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Feels too good to be true really, probably still costs the best part of £50M. He'll end up somewhere like Spurs or maybe Villa if they have any money to spend.

9 hours ago, Dokko said:

Not bought Tonali and Barnes. There was absolutely no need for Barnes, and Tonali was an all eggs in one basket vanity signing, which backfired spectacularly. If the club had done it's homework properly, they'd have known about his habit and gone nowhere near him. I'm still not certain if him, Bruno & Joelinton will work together, it get like Howe was given him to work with rather than asked for him. 

Like I said in the Ashworth thread, I'll put all the blame on him, and we move on, but let's not sugar coat it, the club have fucked up big time and have escaped by a hairs width and lucked out on minteh. And like I said in the Bruno thread, they are probably shocked he's still here (maybe the idea was sell Bruno at 115m and Tonali was the ready made replacement)

Lessons learned, eh? 

If we'd bought an RW instead of Barnes and a different CM to Tonali then we'd have still had to sell the same. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Don't want him any more, that whole Italy side lacked pace, and he was no exception.

That Italian team's showing has destroyed his value, not surprised they want to shift him now for a low fee, with his contract running down and all.

He hardly got the ball in forward areas consistently, to really do much, and so we didn't really get a chance to see what he could do.

But yeah, better off not risking it. The injury thing might bite us and his salary would be huge.