NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

7 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

Few concerns on Diaby. Bundesliga stats are misleading, as we’ve seen with Havertz/Sancho types. Apparently, we have the ‘free run’ at him. That’s never good. It means nobody else wants him, or values him above £50m. The other concern is, he’s not really elite for that kind of money, and he’s only on the fringes of International football. Physically he might be rapid, but he still might need to bulk up, and take time to adapt to the demands and physicality of the PL. 

I know some have concerns on Barnes, but he’s £15m/£20m cheaper and proven in the PL.

We had the ”free run” for Tonali also? And Isak? And Bruno?

It's worth noting Diaby's goal involvements in the league dropped by 28% this season and it's not like he massively underperformed his expected goals and assists either. From an attacking perspective I think he's a slightly more refined version of Almiron. I think if FFP didn't exist we'd have done the deal, but right now, it feels like bigger priorities require sorting. 

10 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

Few concerns on Diaby. Bundesliga stats are misleading, as we’ve seen with Havertz/Sancho types. Apparently, we have the ‘free run’ at him. That’s never good. It means nobody else wants him, or values him above £50m. The other concern is, he’s not really elite for that kind of money, and he’s only on the fringes of International football. Physically he might be rapid, but he still might need to bulk up, and take time to adapt to the demands and physicality of the PL. 

I know some have concerns on Barnes, but he’s £15m/£20m cheaper and proven in the PL.

Barnes also doesn’t play in the same position as Diaby 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

“Massive racist” or using the word “massive” before another word is a pretty common term in the English language that’s often used to comic effect when not being entirely serious. I’ll just leave it there

Apologies, I think I just read it and decided it was the kind of comment these cancel culture numptys make on Twitter etc.

18 minutes ago, Viana said:

It's worth noting Diaby's goal involvements in the league dropped by 28% this season and it's not like he massively underperformed his expected goals and assists either. From an attacking perspective I think he's a slightly more refined version of Almiron. I think if FFP didn't exist we'd have done the deal, but right now, it feels like bigger priorities require sorting. 

I’ve said it before but it’s a big concern that Leon Bailey put up similar numbers at Leverkusen before his move to Villa. Obviously he’s been injured a lot here but Bundesliga numbers come with a massive risk associated and the fees they get for their players don’t seem to reflect that at all.

51 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

I disagree with that, why should we look at players who didn’t succeed after moving from the Bundesliga and come up with a generalization for all players who happened to play there first? There are many other players who came from there and turned out to be huge success: De Bruyne, Haaland, Son, Kombany, Gundogan, Firmino, etc.

On the othet hand, we might find players such as Mane who played worse at Bundesliga. He scored seven goals in 25 league games. Or what about Hazard who flopped at La Liga after a legendary display at the EPL. Does that mean Spanish teams shouldn’t consider EPL players?

There are many players who flop after a transfer for many different reasons, and so I don’t think it is logical to single out their original league as a primary reason by cherry picking players who happened to have failed here for various reasons. 

Diaby would make a lot of sense, clear we've been keen on him for a long while and a left footed right winger other than Almiron does seem the biggest hole in the squad right now along with LB.

One thing I do like about Diaby is that he's scored plenty of goals the last few years. Obviously there's the worry that the Bundesliga is easier but given our current wide men I do feel someone with some goalscoring pedigree would be a wise addition.

38 minutes ago, Shak said:

Diaby would make a lot of sense, clear we've been keen on him for a long while and a left footed right winger other than Almiron does seem the biggest hole in the squad right now along with LB.

One thing I do like about Diaby is that he's scored plenty of goals the last few years. Obviously there's the worry that the Bundesliga is easier but given our current wide men I do feel someone with some goalscoring pedigree would be a wise addition.

If we are seriously after Diaby for 50m, then why did we get Gordon 6 months ago for 45m? Diaby is clearly the better winger, and they are of similar age. What’s the strategy here? Was Gordon always meant to be a backup? Then why spend 45m for a backup at a time when FFP is still limiting us. Or did Eddie see Gordon as the future left winger? 

6 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

If we are seriously after Diaby for 50m, then why did we get Gordon 6 months ago for 45m? Diaby is clearly the better winger, and they are of similar age. What’s the strategy here? Was Gordon always meant to be a backup? Then why spend 45m for a backup at a time when FFP is still limiting us. Or did Eddie see Gordon as the future left winger? 

Aye Gordon is competition for ASM on the left and Diaby competition for Almiron the right, I assume.

7 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Sounds like a nice problem to have.

Diaby plays most of his football on the right of midfield. We had Murphy and almiron at the time to secure our position whereas bringing in a player like that was probably not good timing - Gordon on the other hand likely didn’t expect to be picked each game and I think Eddie definitely more so sees him as an important addition for the future. 

like I say, until I see that an agreement has been made in the headline, I’m not gonna pay too much attention to it. 

5 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Gordon is a right footed lw and Diaby is a left footed rw.  Gordon can also play rw and cm, but we only really use him on the left where he played predominately before us.  Diaby is a much better offensive player and can also play lw or cm.  The only similarities are with their versatility really. 

52 minutes ago, Shak said:

I’m not sure. Bad presser and even worse defensive work rate- we’d be destroyed on our right side with him in the team.

9 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Gordon is better (at least for us) than Diaby imo.

8 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’m not sure. Bad presser and even worse defensive work rate- we’d be destroyed on our right side with him in the team.

Destroyed :lol:

Left

ASM/Gordon

Right

Almiron/Diaby/Murphy

I don’t think these combo’s are going to take us to the next level in my opinion. Needs a real statement signing.

I can’t really get excited about anyone linked so far, so hoping Ashworth just drops a name out of nowhere.

Edited by Toon88

14 minutes ago, Shak said:

Destroyed :lol:

:lol: Trippier and a guy that doesn’t press or track back on the same side? He makes ASM look like Milner, man. Suicidal with the way we play.

Edited by McCormick