Harvey Barnes

khay

33 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

It was frustrating and you’d expect him to get that under and run through. But I feel like he kind of gets singled out for basically every error or bad performance (when others are even worse). Because of how disappointing last season was. 

Noticeable on here and on social media. 

Thought he was lively at both ends of the pitch. Gave us some much needed energy once Gordon was gassed. 

Yep, a lot of the lads who were against the ASM sale love getting stuck into him. When we eventually move on from Miggy and Longstaff, he'll be getting it in the neck. 

The truth is underneath Wor Flags and a loyal away following, we have amongst some of the worst fans in the league who love nothing more than getting stuck into their own players at any opportunity.

Edited by The Prophet

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's a conplete myth Gordon wasn't good before we signed Barnes like :lol:

He looked great but obviously wasn't up to speed fitness and tactics wise. 

It's not that he wasn't good, but he hadn't nailed down that left wing spot.

Edited by The Prophet

19 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Yep, a lot of the lads who were against the ASM sale love getting stuck into him. When we eventually move on from Miggy and Longstaff, he'll be getting it in the neck. 

The truth is underneath Wor Flags and a loyal away following, we have amongst some of the worst fans in the league who love nothing more than getting stuck into their own players at any opportunity.

Like on here you mean?

It was a difficult game to come in to as we were up against it but he wasn’t very good when he was on, he hardly touched the ball and didn’t put a great deal of effort in when closing down in the final 20 minutes, compared to Joelinton, Bruno and Longstaff.

Just now, gazza ladra said:

Barnes is going to make a lot of people eat their words.

Hopefully. I thought he was a really good signing when he came, but he has been below expectations so far. Hopefully this is his season.

2 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Barnes is going to make a lot of people eat their words.

Im sure he will be better than he has shown lately, no doubt about that. But he’s not gonna make me eat my words. 

46 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's a conplete myth Gordon wasn't good before we signed Barnes like :lol:

He looked great but obviously wasn't up to speed fitness and tactics wise. 

Complete myth? He came in and showed glimpses. Then got injured if memory serves? Came back and was good if a bit inconsistent and didn’t score or assist until the last game of the season, I think.

Hardly could have predicted the season he had. Even though he was obviously going to improve with a preseason. 

You’ve got it the other way around. If I could be arsed to go and check his thread. I would :lol: 

Edited by Lush Vlad

44 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I didn’t want ASM to leave. But can understand why Howe would want someone different and in hindsight. It was the correct call. 

I think Barnes is a good player and glad we got him. But using hindsight, again. Perhaps we could have used the £38m on someone who is more comfortable on the right. Whilst also able to do a job on the left. 

On that last bit. Not sure we’re any better or worse than any other club for being dickheads towards our own players? Not frequented other team’s forums or social media posts to check. From general pub talk. It depends on the person and it’s more about personalities, I find. 

Gordon's first six months were very rough. Remember that Villa game in particular where he got hauled off and had a tantrum. It made sense signing Barnes, its only in hindsight now that we can say "well maybe we could have used the money to buy a RW instead". We'd just sold ASM and needed another left winger.

I don't worry much about him and having both him and Gordan as LW options is excellent.

I'm still surprised we bought him in though and not considered to fix the clear weakness we have at RW first. nothing suggests to me that we are planning to do this in this window so far.

20 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Complete myth? He came in and showed glimpses. Then got injured if memory serves? Came back and was good if a bit inconsistent and didn’t score or assist until the last game of the season, I think.

Hardly could have predicted the season he had. Even though he was obviously going to improve with a preseason. 

You’ve got it the other way around. If I could be arsed to go and check his thread. I would :lol: 

The thread was complete insanity though, I said it at the time. He was playing well in cameos and being griefed. It was obvious he was a quality player and just needed bedding in, I don't think last season was a suprise at all.

17 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

The thread was complete insanity though, I said it at the time. He was playing well in cameos and being griefed. It was obvious he was a quality player and just needed bedding in, I don't think last season was a suprise at all.

You don’t think 10 goals and 11 assists or whatever it was, was a surprise? Even when his attacking output has always been terrible throughout his career (playing for a shit side, granted). 

Can I borrow your crystal ball, please?

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

You don’t think 10 goals and 11 assists or whatever it was, was a surprise? Even when his attacking output has always been terrible throughout his career (playing for a shit side, granted). 

Can I borrow your crystal ball, please?

Why would we have payed the fee we payed if he wasn't capable of a good premiership attackers output? :lol:

It was obvious he was capable of that man, people were being proper weird and trying to justify the nonsense that was being spouted around his transfer.

Crystal ball ffs :lol:

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Yeah, because no transfers ever end up being busts. 

Not saying I thought that about Gordon. Yes there were some mad takes on him. It was obvious he was going to come on for a pre season with us. 

But he still hadn’t performed particularly well with us and we had also just lost ASM. Plenty thought Barnes might even be the starter or at least provide a lot more competition and there would be more rotation. 

As it happened. Gordon became one of the first names on the team sheet and played out of his skin all season. Barnes got injured for 3-4 months. 

Total revisionism to say he had been good and act like there were no worries at all around his performances or future performances. 

Perhaps not a crystal ball. But you’re being Captain Hindsight, for sure.