Harvey Barnes

khay

Also those arguing that Barnes isn't that good, that may be reflected in is spending £30m less on him than a genuine worldie in isak. The team has lacked goals, if we were less reliant on Wilson we would have been 3rd or better last season

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The second article is really interesting.

On that list of the most give and go goals over the last 4 years, he is top with 6. On the same list both Salah and Mane have 5.

Salah and Mane benefitted a lot from Firmino dropping into space to receive the ball and then playing them in behind, or just from making runs in behind when Firmino created space from dropping deep, with other players then playing them in.

Think Almiron did a great job of this kind of movement last season and he got a lot of goals from it, but we didn't have the same kind of similar threat on the left side. I think Barnes adds that balance.

Agreed. Stats don't take into account stuff like how football works in transition, e.g., Barnes doesn't hold onto the ball to show off party tricks, he'll pick it up and release it quickly if the moment requires it, that can get the ball from a defensive position to attack very quickly. Also his team mates will trust him to release the ball so will make runs ahead of him instead of holding back to see if he wants to juggle it a few times.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Miggy had a purple patch and if people expect it every season I feel their gonna be disappointed.

I was talking more about the job he did with his movement off the ball last season, as he constantly exploited spaces in behind in that manner, linking up with Bruno and Trippier numerous times. Not sure his final product will continue to be reliable though, and so would like to see another option in his position too.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Miggy had a purple patch and if people expect it every season I feel their gonna be disappointed.

I don't expect him to score as many but i do expect him to score closer to his actual level in a system suited to him where he does contribute and his running allows tripps freedom. Hate this writing off miggy/impatience to replace everyone, we can't buy £60m players for every position in one window

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

I don't expect him to score as many but i do expect him to score closer to his actual level in a system suited to him where he does contribute and his running allows tripps freedom. Hate this writing off miggy/impatience to replace everyone, we can't buy £60m players for every position in one window

Miggy is actually a very intelligent footballer, he has so many qualities: pace, unselfish and hard working. Just lacking venom in both his shooting and his goal hunting instincts. Even last season it felt like Howe was constantly pushing him to get into goalscoring positions.

46 minutes ago, chronicfc said:

Matt Law and a bunch of itk idiots don't believe it. It's made up bollocks. 

Fab reported it's advanced. As did Jacob Steinberg and Matt Law who from my research are Tier 2 journalists.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Agreed. Stats don't take into account stuff like how football works in transition, e.g., Barnes doesn't hold onto the ball to show off party tricks, he'll pick it up and release it quickly if the moment requires it, that can get the ball from a defensive position to attack very quickly. Also his team mates will trust him to release the ball so will make runs ahead of him instead of holding back to see if he wants to juggle it a few times.

Yes, exactly. I would often complain that Miggy needed to take players on more, but then I began to notice that him looking for the give and go was getting him into goal scoring positions a lot more, and realised it might be an approach we specifically worked on as a team to create more chances for our wide players.

Howe has also always talked about wide forwards rather than wingers when talking about wide players, and I'm beginning to think that was very purposeful. I think he wants wide players with good movement off the ball that get into goal scoring positions.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think he’s speedy in transition and can hit a ball, but stats from last season in terms of progressive passing were shit, though granted in a poor team.

Be good to see what his assists, progressive passing stats were like in season Leicester won cup etc, just to see if last season was a one off.

Think this’ll mean ASM is off which would be sad, but I would like to see us try him on the right before we bin him off, like. Think he might be really productive and less predictable there in Howe’s system.

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

I think he’s speedy in transition and can hit a ball, but stats from last season in terms of progressive passing were shit, though granted in a poor team.

Be good to see what his assists, progressive passing stats were like in season Leicester won cup etc, just to see if last season was a one off.

Again, I respect the stats, but just with the eye test, he seems a really intelligent footballer who strikes the ball very well. Even with his finishes you can see he doesn't just blast it blindly. If he signs I reckon Howe will make him look twice the footballer he is now. In a better team which is coached properly, he looks the sort who could deliver exactly what we require.

8 minutes ago, George Bailey said:

Would be delighted with him at ours.

Have admired him for a while.

Lad has talent and is a grafter, add EH managing him and I think this is smart business 👍:indi:

He'll graft like he's never grafted before under EH.

13 minutes ago, TheHoob said:

[emoji38] if you discount the stat that wins you games his stats are diabolical. I am smart. 

His stats didn’t really win games last season though. :bluestar:

I'm all for debating the merits of a potential signing, it is a forum after all, but given our success in the transfer market to date you do have to just trust the transfer panel to a degree. They've earned it.

Edited by The Prophet

Guest reefatoon
32 minutes ago, gdm said:

[emoji38] Take away what he is good at and look at his stats [emoji38]

Don’t know about anyone else, but I think goals are canny important in football, but hey ho, let’s just ignore them so we can slag him off [emoji38]

I’d say he was a wide forward too.

17 minutes ago, TRon said:

image.thumb.png.21bd037b969c79ca4b044b645f0239dd.png 

image.thumb.png.c616db974313e4fc2d633b5ce76ee6f7.png

To paint a fuller picture. Barnes doesn’t get on the ball much in general.  From the stats you can see why he is accused of going missing. When he does get on the ball he’s giving it away a lot and he’s not even attempting progressive passes while doing so. And he’s lazy to boot. 

Bur he gets into good positions and is an excellent finisher off both feet (and good in the air apparently). 

HES NOT A GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER. BUT HES A GOALSCORER. 

The idea that he’s coming to sit on the bench is fanciful imo. 

Howe has signed 2 wingers. Both quick and direct. This is what he wants atleast. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

‘He’s a grafter’ why do people say this?

Trying to build up their identity to the point they have enough confidence to go on The Apprentice 

19 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

image.thumb.png.21bd037b969c79ca4b044b645f0239dd.png 

image.thumb.png.c616db974313e4fc2d633b5ce76ee6f7.png

To paint a fuller picture. Barnes doesn’t get on the ball much in general.  From the stats you can see why he is accused of going missing. When he does get on the ball he’s giving it away a lot and he’s not even attempting progressive passes while doing so. And he’s lazy to boot. 

Bur he gets into good positions and is an excellent finisher off both feet (and good in the air apparently). 

HES NOT A GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER. BUT HES A GOALSCORER. 

The idea that he’s coming to sit on the bench is fanciful imo. 

Howe has signed 2 wingers. Both quick and direct. This is what he wants atleast. 

I'm sure Howe is as aware of those stats as everyone else. I haven't played football simulation games for years so I am very much out of the loop, but I guess he sees something else which he reckons he can work with. Like I said, he looks the type who likes to release the ball quickly if there's a quick pass on, looks an intelligent footballer to me regardless of the stats.