Football Tactics Nerds

arnonel

39 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Did you hate Ben Arfa because he didnt track back? 

no. I hated him mainly because he never exploited the space created by debuchys decoy runs in the final third. Instead he regularly opted to implement the more difficult task of combining his shoulder drop with a torso deception with an inside vertical run into space already occupied by the oppositions deep lying CM and their midfielder in the pivot. Inevitably, taking the harder option of going solo on the inside may have looked aesthetically more beautiful to those watching with an untrained on the rare occasions it did come off, but analysis indicates that had HBA taken the simpler option of going down the outside or supplying Debuchy in the final third statistically improved our chances of getting a cross into the box by an additional 16.67%. 

had we played with a box midfield during those days this may have preoccupied the oppositions double pivots to implement a higher block against the likes of sissoko or cabaye and thus allowing space for HBA to torso feint into, but unfortunately HBAs lack of tactical awareness meant he wasn’t aware he’d be running into a cul-de-sac until it was too late. It’s a real shame because it was blatantly obvious what was going to happen before it even happened to a select few watching including myself. 

shame. 

7 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

no. I hated him mainly because he never exploited the space created by debuchys decoy runs in the final third. Instead he regularly opted to implement the more difficult task of combining his shoulder drop with a torso deception with an inside vertical run into space already occupied by the oppositions deep lying CM and their midfielder in the pivot. Inevitably, taking the harder option of going solo on the inside may have looked aesthetically more beautiful to those watching with an untrained on the rare occasions it did come off, but analysis indicates that had HBA taken the simpler option of going down the outside or supplying Debuchy in the final third statistically improved our chances of getting a cross into the box by an additional 16.67%. 

had we played with a box midfield during those days this may have preoccupied the oppositions double pivots to implement a higher block against the likes of sissoko or cabaye and thus allowing space for HBA to torso feint into, but unfortunately HBAs lack of tactical awareness meant he wasn’t aware he’d be running into a cul-de-sac until it was too late. It’s a real shame because it was blatantly obvious what was going to happen before it even happened to a select few watching including myself. 

shame. 

:thup:

Great response.

My post was a dig at OCK. He was basically suggesting this forums members are stupid and dont care about tactics. 

p.s.

I hated when Ritchie did this too. 100% of the time ignored the overlapping fullback

1 hour ago, arnonel said:

Enjoyed this. 

Kinda drilled in how robotic Pep/Arteta/etc teams are with "space"

It feels like the on the ball equivalent of a full court press. Instead of hunting the ball you're hunting the spaces to facilitate moving the ball up the pitch. 

6 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Great response.

My post was a dig at OCK. He was basically suggesting this forums members are stupid and dont care about tactics. 

p.s.

I hated when Ritchie did this too. 100% of the time ignored the overlapping fullback

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF by Justin

3 hours ago, Begbie said:

I love the way Howe have us playing. One of the negative thing I find is that our central backs(especially when we have the ball) are to far away from each other and I think teams will notice this and exploit this like we saw Aston Villa did. Whenever Villa won the ball they tried to instantly thred the ball directly threw our central defenders. Neither Botman nor Schar imo have the gratest accelration which make them struggle in these type of situations. I do hope we figure this out without disrupting the way we play.

Which is why the links to Anderson confuse me. He’s slow too.  

We need a player in the mould of Konate at Liverpool. 

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Wish I played Football Manager. Feel like I'd either be miles more tactically aware, or it would just make me really confused.

Not sure FM will give you that :tongue3:

For me though, knowing just a little bit more about the mechanics, has made the game more enjoyable for me

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Which is why the links to Anderson confuse me. He’s slow too.  

We need a player in the mould of Konate at Liverpool. 

Solet is the one. Love a centre-half that's not afraid to drop a bit of torso deception and then charge out with the ball.

8 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Great response.

p.s.

He’s a right dick. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

This forum hated when I used the word ‘gegenpress’.. there’s a certain disdain for emerging football terminology. 
Yet they all hate PFMs and Souness

I knew you were holding onto resentment over that one. :lol:

Fair play, it sounded like pretentious tosh at the time. It still does tbh. :lol:

There was some interesting data analysis from a German bunch not too long ago. Not sure what come of it.

They devised a metric that showed how many oppo players a pass would cut out. Players who repeatedly cut out a high number of the opposition would obviously score highly. Was a different approach to just measuring the distance of a progressive pass. If you cut out more players with your ball it was probably far more dangerous.

They also measured how many players were cut out by receiving the ball. Was another way to further judge a player’s effective movement. 

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

There was some interesting data analysis from a German bunch not too long ago. Not sure what come of it.

They devised a metric that showed how many oppo players a pass would cut out. Players who repeatedly cut out a high number of the opposition would obviously score highly. Was a different approach to just measuring the distance of a progressive pass. If you cut out more players with your ball it was probably far more dangerous.

They also measured how many players were cut out by receiving the ball. Was another way to further judge a player’s effective movement. 

Bruno and Trippier do this for us a lot. Especially when they combine  + Almirons movement.