Lewis Hall

Paully

Just now, The College Dropout said:

He only brings on Hall when games are comfortably won or lost. That just points to a lack of trust. 

If that is the case then unless the contract clause has already been triggered and depending on what triggers it he'd not play him much.

I have no idea. Seemed like a good prospect.

1 minute ago, McDog said:

If that is the case then unless the contract clause has already been triggered and depending on what triggers it he'd not play him much.

I have no idea. Seemed like a good prospect.

He could still be a good prospect that he doesn't trust right now.

The club/management have had a look and obviously decided they don't want him. Tino's emergence at LB, plus the fact we have Burn, Targett and Dummett who can play there as well have rendered him surplus to requirements. The fact he can't get on ahead of Ritchie at LW means we don't fancy him further foward either.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Exactly. 

I personally don’t think the issues are related to the clause. 

Im just getting the impression Howe doesn’t  trust him. Not to say that he isn’t rated though. 

Is the clause a fact or someone looking for an explanation?

From what I've seen he looks like a baller, great passing and all round technique , be great at 5 pots in but not as yet a left back or any other defined position/role despite the talent.

He's 19...... he's got loads of time with tie right coaching.

Edited by madras

Just now, Beth said:

The club/management have had a look and obviously decided they don't want him. Tino's emergence at LB, plus the fact we have Burn, Targett and Dummett who can play there as well have rendered him surplus to requirements. The fact he can't get on ahead of Ritchie at LW means we don't fancy him further foward either.

That is exactly what I was thinking plus a possibility to avoid the buy in the summer. Only the club knows.

3 hours ago, Upthemags said:

I think this is less to do with whether Hall could help in this particular game, and more to do with the team's decision not to pick up his option and sign him in the summer.

To me, that means we'll see a sizable move or two in January with money that otherwise would be spent on Hall in the summer

Hall not signing in the summer doesn’t free up any FFP funds in January

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Hall not signing in the summer doesn’t free up any FFP funds in January

I get that the league year starts in the summer but those funds that are earmarked for summer are freed up to be used in January? You say "doesn’t free up any FFP". I don't believe either one of us is aware of what wiggle room we have in the three year FFP rolling window this January.

edit: Or what may have been planned for the summer which also would affect the 3 year rolling window.

Edited by McDog

1 hour ago, McDog said:

I get that the league year starts in the summer but those funds that are earmarked for summer are freed up to be used in January? You say "doesn’t free up any FFP". I don't believe either one of us is aware of what wiggle room we have in the three year FFP rolling window this January.

edit: Or what may have been planned for the summer which also would affect the 3 year rolling window.

It’s more that the reason that Hall’s transfer is permanent in the summer is to avoid FFP restrictions in the current football financial year.  So his permanent transfer doesn’t hit the FFP books until the 24/25 season.  Cancelling his transfer will have zero impact on what we can spend in January, as anything spent in Jan will be on the 23/24 season books.  FFP doesn’t run by calendar year - it’s not rolling in the sense of a moving 36 month window 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He only brings on Hall when games are comfortably won or lost. That just points to a lack of trust. 

Kind of weird given Trippier has given away about 5 goals in 3 games. Did Hall piss on his chips?

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

How often does Howe make performance related half time subs? Dortmund was a big night for him in a bad way. 

Rafa was like this with Mbemba. Only ever used him if he had to once he'd had him a few months. He was clearly a talented player but if you don't trust them to follow the tactics/instructions then this can happen. 

Reading through some Chelsea accounts, the clause isn’t player performance based and is based on the clubs final league position which suggests the player is all but signed. The feeling being that we would have to finish way down the table for the deal not to happen.

On Hall, clearly very talented, guessing Howe doesn’t trust him enough yet, and is taking a longer term view.

Strange one this, Howe clearly isn't a fan.

If you're Lewis Hall, you must be incredibly cheesed off seeing Matt Ritchie come on instead of you (as unproductive as Matt Ritchie is!)

Whilst he struggled against Dortmund, on the whole he's done alright considering his age. 

21 minutes ago, CallumG6 said:

Strange one this, Howe clearly isn't a fan.

If you're Lewis Hall, you must be incredibly cheesed off seeing Matt Ritchie come on instead of you (as unproductive as Matt Ritchie is!)

Whilst he struggled against Dortmund, on the whole he's done alright considering his age. 

Maybe there's something in that and he just didn't follow the instructions or game plan in that match ? 

1 minute ago, KingArthur said:

Howe said he has work to do with defending, so he is not trusted completely yet. And he is seen as a left back so of course he is not played as a winger.

Why not? He's played in midfield before, refuse to believe he'd be less effective than Matt Ritchie and would also be more benefit defensively defending a lead.

My view on this saga is this. 

He has been signed as a future talent. He will be learning everyday the roles of a LB and also our system. It’s been said by a few players you really have to know your role in our team, it took Gordon 6 months to do so - so Howe probably thinks he doesn’t have the full grasp on this yet.

If he was signed for £2 million then there wouldn’t be half as much said about him not playing - I understand the price will affect our views as supporters but I don’t think it alters the clubs view - he is a player of very high potential and he was available this summer at a price they were happy to pay. That doesn’t mean he is first team ready because he cost £x amount. 

I am sure it was explained to him when he joined that he will not feature a lot and the first year will be about development and learning. 

4 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Why not? He's played in midfield before, refuse to believe he'd be less effective than Matt Ritchie and would also be more benefit defensively defending a lead.

You refuse to believe he’s no worse than Matt Ritchie but I do believe Howe doesn’t seem him as a wide man.  

I would like to see him ahead of Ritchie too. But I understand why he isn’t. 

The money is frustrating because we’ve signed a 3rd choice LB who is now 4th choice.   The money committed to him could’ve gone to a first choice LB or a right winger.  With someone so highly rated you would hope he would be more ready for playing time. 

Edited by The College Dropout

5 minutes ago, NWMag said:

My view on this saga is this. 

He has been signed as a future talent. He will be learning everyday the roles of a LB and also our system. It’s been said by a few players you really have to know your role in our team, it took Gordon 6 months to do so - so Howe probably thinks he doesn’t have the full grasp on this yet.

If he was signed for £2 million then there wouldn’t be half as much said about him not playing - I understand the price will affect our views as supporters but I don’t think it alters the clubs view - he is a player of very high potential and he was available this summer at a price they were happy to pay. That doesn’t mean he is first team ready because he cost £x amount. 

I am sure it was explained to him when he joined that he will not feature a lot and the first year will be about development and learning. 

The money is important tbf. Real Madrid have signed that Endrick lad for next season.  He’s got to get solid minutes upfront. If he was consistently benched for Joselu and Diaz and not coming off the bench - there would be consternation.  This isn’t to that level but it’s a similar thing. 

A part of it is Howe’s style.  He was overly slow in bringing in Livra and it was the crisis that forced his hand. If Burn and Targett stayed fit I don’t think we would’ve seen much of him at all either. 

19 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

Because Howe sees him as a left back. So that is why he going to play there 

Makes no sense to me this one.

Imagine if it had of been a local lad (eg Lewis Miley) playing v Manchester United in the caraboa cup and scoring a peach of a volley ?

There would be hell on , asking why he isn’t playing ? Or not getting on 

Hall was outstanding V Manchester United and had the winger in his pocket , also scoring a great goal from left back 

Yes he hasn’t looked as good in the other games but there was enough to see in that one game to know he has huge potential.

i thought he done ok away at Dortmund too and was unlucky to get booked early on.

Chelsea fans rate him and the majority of a newcastle fans seem to rate him too.

Surely a better option than Ritchie ??