Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Almiron getting stick on social media (I haven't read much from here) but I thought he was decent today and looked our most likely to get the second goal. Took the game by the scruff of the neck and hit the post second half, more than the rest of the lads did. Barnes was much poorer when he come on. Subbing Gordon off was brainless, he had the beating of Alexander-Arnold on a yellow.

Miggy had chances to win it, but his play to get us forward was decent.

Gordon and Tonali never should have come off that game. Barnes was poor compared to the roasting Gordon was giving Trent.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Almiron getting stick on social media (I haven't read much from here) but I thought he was decent today and looked our most likely to get the second goal. Took the game by the scruff of the neck and hit the post second half, more than the rest of the lads did. Barnes was much poorer when he come on. Subbing Gordon off was brainless, he had the beating of Alexander-Arnold on a yellow.

This^^^ I was dumbfounded when he took Gordon and Tonali off 

2 minutes ago, smootsmack said:

He did get their captain sent off 30 minutes in ... im devastated today 

We surely knew Liverpool would push up nearer the end - why wouldn’t Howe want Isak on for that? He wasn’t too involved but surely you’d want him to pounce when they attack and leave space? If he knows he’s going to be taken off it’ll start to make him snatchy up, it’s hardly a vote of confidence to be hooked any time you don’t score by 70mins. Bet their defence was happy to see him subbed... it does seem like there’s a tendency to judge performance levels differently with players, Almiron had wasted chances / moments but dosent seem to be in contention to be subbed for Barnes. This is all under the disclaimer that Howe is doing a great job and I deserves all the respect in the world, obviously.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It would be nice if he went outside once in the 2,000 runs a season. That's my only critique, the most predictable winger in world football. Gordon was blowing out his arse, then again Barnes had a mare, but should have and could have created the killer 2nd.

Howe's subs were shit and whilst they weren't the sole reason for today, they majorly contributed to the defeat. We had control of the game until the subs in midfield and taking Gordon and Tonali off was incredibly bizarre.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

When Gordon went off we also lost the defensive cover he provides, showed up Burn and his lack of pace even more. We invite teams to attack us on the left every game, we need to fix that problem quickly.

1 minute ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

It would be nice if he went outside once in the 2,000 runs a season. That's my only critique, the most predictable winger in world football. Gordon was blowing out his arse, then again Barnes had a mare, but should have and could have created the killer 2nd.

I agree, I wanted him upgraded this summer but I think criticism of him today is harsh. 

Lack of composure at key times, there's definitely lessons to be learned there.

Fair play to Liverpool, they dug in after the red card and made it hard for us then gave us a lesson in finishing. Thought they were going to self-destruct and lose their rag at one point but they didn't. Thought their number 8 in particular had a good game.

Sometimes we need to learn to just see games out and take a point and injury time today was a glaring example. They've come back into the game, we're struggling to break them down, just make sure we don't do anything daft and get beat. So fucking infuriating.

I don't understand why we seem incapable of playing simple passes and holding onto ball. We need to learn how to grind teams down. I thought our ball retention would have improved this season but we still give it away very cheaply. We need to know when to hold back on the direct balls, we seem to have one way of playing and teams are figuring us out. 

I honestly don't think we had a plan to play against ten men......11 against 11 everyone knew their job, after that we got complacent and expected things to come to a formality. 

How on earth we got exposed so much 1 v 1 with a numerical advantage is embarrassing 

Just now, Pancrate1892 said:

I honestly don't think we had a plan to play against ten men......11 against 11 everyone knew their job, after that we got complacent and expected things to come to a formality. 

How on earth we got exposed so much 1 v 1 with a numerical advantage is embarrassing 

This happened a few times before the goals as well. Led to a series of corners.

It's like we got caught between 2 styles. Not gung go and blast them but rather slow but still high enough to expose our backline when we made cheap turnovers.

Our mentality in the last two games has been poor.

Against City, the scoreline was deceiving, we were uncompetitive throughout the whole game. Organised but without any belief we could exert pressure on the opposition. Our only retort to City was the sheer stubbornness of the back four.

Today, we were complacent on and off the ball. We actually seem worse the more of the ball we have, evident lack of composure in midfield. Liverpool losing a man seemed to actually hurt us. 

This is a tough pill to swallow, Liverpool were there for the taking, they're not even that good but we gave our best efforts to let them back in. Now I have to spend the next week around gloating Liverpool supporters to top it all off. The ONE game I wanted us to win this season and we've been suckered punched like that, gonna take a while to get over this. All I can hope is that we finish above them again then this result is irrelevant.