Newcastle United 1-2 Liverpool (27/08/23)

Yorkie

I really think games like today is where we have missed joe Willock the most, bring him on for big joe and he runs them into the ground, we lost our energy in midfield when tonali and big joe went off, Bruno is a top draw player but he need energetic players around him

Edited by nufcnick

12 minutes ago, Decky said:

The only thing worse than this result is reading the shite on here across the football forum like. It is a bad result, awful, that's football, we move on to the next game. We had two spells of not winning in 8 games last season, and also lost this fixture, but still finished 4th, there is a long long way to go. 

Just want to also mention that I hope those tearing into Howe and the players enjoy the Champions League draw on Thursday. :thup:

High horse shite, haven't heard anyone "tear" into Howe, if you have to exaggerate to make your point out it might not be worth making. You can be feel overall blessed and still objectively watch a game of football.

3 minutes ago, jackflap said:

High horse shite, haven't heard anyone "tear" into Howe, if you have to exaggerate to make your point out it might not be worth making. You can be feel overall blessed and still objectively watch a game of football.

There's been some absolutely red hot takes like. Proper "the sky is falling in" stuff.

5 minutes ago, jackflap said:

You clearly haven't been reading much of what was on here and on social media after full-time. 

Edited by Decky

3 minutes ago, jackflap said:

Away Toon and a few others literally said that he's not the right man for the job. And some of them only seem to regularly appear when we have a setback. It's only been maybe three people, but he is not exaggerating at all.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

No one is saying Howe should be sacked, are they? Massive difference between that and rightly criticising his fuck up today and overall paint by numbers approach to substitutions.

I've been in the football section about 20 mins catching up and I've seen two people saying he's not the right man going forward.

Seems a rank take like.

Sure people are taking offence where it wasn't intended, Eddie Howe got it wrong today and I think (most) people share that view, but I've enough faith in him to learn and push on.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

The most enraging thing was it was fucking obvious what was going to happen.

I sat there and said over and over again that we needed a second and it became absolutely clear what was going to happen after we missed chance after chance.

Yep, same here. One goal is never enough against these buggers. 

14 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

No one is saying Howe should be sacked, are they? Massive difference between that and rightly criticising his fuck up today and overall paint by numbers approach to substitutions.

You somehow missed when a group not dissimilar to this one were calling for Rafa's head back in the winter of 2017. I don't know how you always miss it.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

The most enraging thing was it was fucking obvious what was going to happen.

I sat there and said over and over again that we needed a second and it became absolutely clear what was going to happen after we missed chance after chance.

I knew what was going to happen as soon as Becker tipped Almiron's shot onto the bar. 

If there's any scrap of luck going, this lot will get it, so you have to kick them while they're down.

1 minute ago, Decky said:

Fuck me if you’ve the stomach to watch it here’s a Newcastle fan ringing in to Alan fucking Pardew to complain about the game today. 

:kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear:

Nice one, think this might just be enough to tip me off the edge and drive into a ditch 

We kept snatching at opportunities today or just making poor decisions in the final third. Wilson had a daft one and Longstaff tried to score with a Cruyff flick ffs. Very good tactically from Liverpool second half unfortunately, they played us better with 10 than they did with 11. 

The fact we didn't fucking pummell these into the ground when we had the chance was shocking mind. 

They're too good to keep at bay with just a 1-0 lead and are far more battle hardened to deal with these setbacks. 

We've got some steep learning curves coming our way if we truly want to associate with the very best of clubs.

Just now, Gallowgate Toon said:

If that was any other team, bar City, I just can't imagine us not going for it once up a man. 

I think there might be a mental step we need to take at some point to really believe that we can put the ‘big teams’ away. We’ll get there, hopefully Howe can identify some things to help our mentality (and maybe his as well). 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think there might be a mental step we need to take at some point to really believe that we can put the ‘big teams’ away. We’ll get there, hopefully Howe can identify some things to help our mentality (and maybe his as well). 

We saw against Man U and Spurs that we're incredibly effective once we go for it at home though. City to a degree too. Arsenal was tricky but that's fine margins.

I don't see why we wouldn't have that mentality today. Maybe Liverpool did a mental number on us last season so we became self protective.