Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

55 minutes ago, Palestoon said:

Might be wrong, but it felt like there was more structure last season. Our midfield had patterns you could identify. All 3 have looked all over the shop these past few matches.

I agree with that. We were great at closing off passing channels which kept so much pressure off the DM area.

Edited by madras

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He really doesn't. Up until his hospital pass v Liverpool he's been fine.

The problem is he ends up being the only player dropping deep to pick the ball up from the defence. This makes him easy to isolate, which both Liverpool and Brighton both did very well. Howe identified the issue v Liverpool and tucked the full backs in, but it happened again today. It's definitely an area that needs a bit of tweaking.

It's seemingly fashionable to batter him at the moment but I thought he was clearly the best of the mids today. He only lost possession 8 times (only once more than Joe and Tonali despite playing more minutes), highest pass completion, most tackles, and set Isak through with a great pass.

Nowhere near perfect and some poor positioning but he always puts in work.

4 minutes ago, Palestoon said:

Might be wrong, but it felt like there was more structure last season. Our midfield had patterns you could identify. All 3 have looked all over the shop these past few matches.

absolutely correct. The midfield of bruno, longstaff and willock was far more balanced. Willock almost like a support striker, longstaff the engine and bruno would sit and own the centre of the pitch. the 3 at the moment are not sure what their roles are.

its the same with the front 3, gordon, isak and miggy, none of them link up well and all look like square pegs in round holes

23 minutes ago, madras said:

I agree with that. We were great at closing off passing channels which kept so much pressure the DM area.

Very true. One thing that I've noticed is it seems with the quality of opposition we've faced, Howe seems hesitant to fully commit to the relentless press that got exposed against liverpool/Villa at the tail end of last season.

But instead we seemed to be opting for this middle ground where we don't drop behind and counter, and we don't committ bodies to the press. We're doing this hybrid tactic and I don't think our midfielders know where to be exactly, and it's causing alot of hesitation

Edited by Palestoon

1 minute ago, Palestoon said:

Very true. One thing that I've noticed is it seems with the quality of opposition we've faced, Howe seems hesitant to fully commit to the relentless press that got exposed against liverpool/Villa

But instead we seemed to be opting for this middle ground where we don't drop behind and counter, and we don't committ bodies to the press. We're doing this hybrid tactic and I don't think our midfielders know where to be exactly, and it's causing alot of hesitation

He likes to bed people in and I don't think he'd have played Tonali so early and so much had Longstaff been fit.

It's interesting when Gordon signed how many times Eddie said he could playbthrough the middle. Wouldn't surprise if Barnes-Gordon-Miggy (?) behind Isak and in front of Bruno and Tonali isn't the short to medium term plan.

14 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

personally id like to see him in with longstaff like last season. Joelinton starting to look like a steve bruce hoofer again playing in midfield which suggests his best position is wide left of front 3....where isak played, where maxi used to play, where gordon plays and where barnes comes on to play. Nicely stocked with LWFs but no midfielder with legs or shooting ability 

I saw Jamie Redknapp saying this, but Longstaff is not any more a natural 6 than Bruno or Tonali. If he was replacing anyone it would be Tonali as the wide RM option. From what I've seen when he's come on to replace Tonali it hasn't improved things.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

He likes to bed people in and I don't think he'd have played Tonali so early and so much had Longstaff been fit.

It's interesting when Gordon signed how many times Eddie said he could playbthrough the middle. Wouldn't surprise if Barnes-Gordon-Miggy (?) behind Isak and in front of Bruno and Tonali isn't the short to medium term plan.

I think a double pivot of Bruno and Tonali in a 4-2-3-1 could be a good shout. 

For me Callum Wilson HAS to start. he was our top scorer last season and is still vastly underrated. 

I keep hearing 'isak is wasted out wide'. He's also wasted up front if we can't utilise him. Longstaff has to come back to break up that static midfield. Murphy worth a start on the right, I thought he earned his place last season 

8 minutes ago, Palestoon said:

Very true. One thing that I've noticed is it seems with the quality of opposition we've faced, Howe seems hesitant to fully commit to the relentless press that got exposed against liverpool/Villa

Yes it does feel like we are in two minds at the moment. I think Liverpool look similarly confused but I would expect both teams are going to adapt and emerge better for it.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I saw Jamie Redknapp saying this, but Longstaff is not any more a natural 6 than Bruno or Tonali. If he was replacing anyone it would be Tonali as the wide RM option. From what I've seen when he's come on to replace Tonali it hasn't improved things.

I'd judge that from him starting a game

Just now, Mr Pups said:

I'd judge that from him starting a game

Tonali hasnt done much wrong to be fair. Was majestic against Villa. Best midfielder today, and did well against Pool. City just toyed with our whole midfield.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

If folks on here managed the team we'd get relegated.

After every game they want to start this one and bench that one.

We wouldn't win a single game.

Not when I reinvent the tactical wheel by bringing in a 10 in the mould of riquelme. Pep won’t see it coming 

Just now, Sempiternal said:

It depresses me greatly the death of the 10 in football, absolutely love Riquelme. Just don’t see players like him anymore, sadly. 

They're completely extinct. Football has changed so much.

Hardly any real number 9s either. Back in the day felt like every team had at least two proper strikers.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

They're completely extinct. Football has changed so much.

Hardly any real number 9s either. Back in the day felt like every team had at least two proper strikers.

That Ferguson today looked like a real number 9 proper handful.