Brighton & Hove Albion 3-1 Newcastle United (02/09/23)

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

When we defend with a straight midfield 5 it takes just one ball to cut through us 

image.thumb.png.88639539b394eda9c0c8dec04fe11c3b.png

I'm really not sure what Longstaff and Anderson are meant to be doing here. Bruno pressing high is something we've done a lot so you'd think the midfield would know what to do when that happens.

Maybe trying to cut passing lanes but there's such a gap behind them that a simple chipped pass renders it useless.

1 hour ago, loki679 said:

One thing that stood out for me was when Isak broke clear and tried to cut the ball back we had nobody busting a gut to get in the box from midfield. 

BASK IN MY WISDOM AND ERUDITION NEW PAGE LOWER LIFEFORMS

59 minutes ago, Menace said:

I think people are overrating Brighton to be honest. On another day we could've walked away 0-3. Flat performance but Isak puts that chance away and the game completely changes.

Strange to see isak so lethargic with them chances, it was almost ameobi like. 

You look at Nunez, one touch...goalside...bang. 

None of us would probably swap isak for Nunez, but it's almost like isak isn't confident at the moment, like his confidence has nose dived since villa. 

Since Gordon and almiron came in he seems far more isolated. A lot of people didn't like maxi and don't rate Murphy but isak seemed to link up with them better 

1 hour ago, Menace said:

I think people are overrating Brighton to be honest. On another day we could've walked away 0-3. Flat performance but Isak puts that chance away and the game completely changes.

It’s kind of how I’ve viewed the start of the season. Fine margins and we could easily have got something in the last two games had we scored the chances we should have put away. 

Momentum is massive though so next game is a must win. 

Early days. Slow start to the season. Like arsenal last year. 
new players getting up to speed with the system. Three very difficult games. 
100% certain we’ll pull ourselves together and we’ll

be fine. 
never expected a top four finish this season anyways. Some expectation management is required. 
people got their knickers in a big twist at Robson and the club reacted with panic and we ended up with fucking Souness. Simmer doon. 

12 hours ago, buzza said:

Thought their keeper was great as an extra "baller" in the back line.

Pope was hesitant and made far too many mistakes in his distribution, we need to improve if we want to play it out from the back

Surely if we really wanted to play it out from the back we'd have bought a goalkeeper who could do that.

3 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

be fine. 
never expected a top four finish this season anyways. Some expectation management is required. 
people got their knickers in a big twist at Robson and the club reacted with panic and we ended up with fucking Souness. Simmer doon. 

We weren't exactly quick out tge blocks last season ourselves. Didn't get a win until 7th or 8th game wasnt it ?

12 hours ago, Gavin400 said:

Luckily we have the international break now to get things sorted. 

Everybody keeps repeating this. How many of the players who started yesterday are not away on international duty? Pope, Burn, Targett, Gordon I think.

20 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

be fine. 

Only one new player started yesterday.

1 hour ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Strange to see isak so lethargic with them chances, it was almost ameobi like. 

You look at Nunez, one touch...goalside...bang. 

None of us would probably swap isak for Nunez, but it's almost like isak isn't confident at the moment, like his confidence has nose dived since villa. 

Since Gordon and almiron came in he seems far more isolated. A lot of people didn't like maxi and don't rate Murphy but isak seemed to link up with them better 

Even the best strikers will miss chances like, I wouldn't read too much into it.

3 hours ago, Mikky said:

That straight midfield line is causing us offensive issues too with Isak being isolated 

We need to change our shape to cover the central areas

Pope

Trippier.   Schar.   Botman.  Hall

Bruno.     Tonali

Gordon.           Isak.              Barnes

Wilson

On paper I think this is our best starting 11, whether it will work not so sure. One of the things I didn't understand about pre season was that Bruno and Tonali were virtually never on the pitch together and watching them play together so far this season it shows.

5 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

On paper I think this is our best starting 11, whether it will work not so sure. One of the things I didn't understand about pre season was that Bruno and Tonali were virtually never on the pitch together and watching them play together so far this season it shows.

With the way we play, it’s going to look out of shape - not using Tonali correctly is the big issue for me - he’s there to pass it around and cover the spaces left - sounds like a nothing role but it requires so much discipline - which if used correctly, he has

3 minutes ago, Mikky said:

With the way we play, it’s going to look out of shape - not using Tonali correctly is the big issue for me - he’s there to pass it around and cover the spaces left - sounds like a nothing role but it requires so much discipline - which if used correctly, he has

Good post btw. I don’t usually like posting just to agree with someone, but you’ve nailed this. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Good post btw. I don’t usually like posting just to agree with someone, but you’ve nailed this. 

Its how you accommodate Hall into the team - Tonali plays on that side (left pivot - plays in a zone) so not to leave us exposed - it’s hard for opposing teams to get at us via a counter as there’s no real space left behind Hall - who has more freedom to go forward and create

We can’t play in straight lines - yes it worked last year - but you have to evolve tactically 

Burn and Miggy are decent players but they are holding us back - we have players to take their places - need to use them - no room for sentiments