Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Thought they come across well. Hilarious, for the goal reviews, the main guy going from "no foul" to "foul" in 4 mins. Sort of sums up the whole debacle. 

The ref gave it, rightly or wrongly, and VAR couldn't find anything CONCLUSIVE to prove "An obvious error" 

1-zip, suck my plums

2 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

AFTV videos appear more levelheaded about the game than the professional pundits. All they the pundits want to talk about VAR and drum up the controversy. 

The AFTV vids I watched seem more focused on their shortcomings, while acknowledging that winning away at St. James’ is a hard ask.  Both sides were tired, missed key players, and offered next to nothing going forward.  

Looking forward to playing Arsenal over the next few years. Some bad blood brewing between the squads. 

Yeah there’ll be some really jiggly, bad blooded games both home and away. 

24 minutes ago, St1pe said:

The contentious point was if the ball was out. It wasn’t. 

I dunno, I think all 3 points that VAR checked were warranted.

Did Willock keep the ball in play? They didn't have the technology or camera angle available to make a precise decision. It looked like it was still in play, so they couldn't rule that out.

Did Joelinton stick two hands in Gabriel's back and prevent him from heading the ball? Yeah :lol: So, out of the three this is the one that I feel VAR should've acted on. I guess Gabriel does a little swan dive after the contact which makes it look like he played for it under minimal contact. Probably cost him.

Was Gordon then offside after Joelinton plays the ball in the challenge on Gabriel? I haven't got a clue what the offside rule is now and it seems that VAR didn't have an angle or a frame available to rule on that one so had to let it go. 

Just now, David Edgar said:

Looking at the incident again now and I'm now 100% that it should've been ruled out because of Joelinton's two hands in the back of Gabriel. Can understand the fume on that one.

You’re a good dude but I think you’ve taken a class on how to be oversensitive recently. Two hands on his back - who cares? 

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

You’re a good dude but I think you’ve taken a class on how to be oversensitive recently. Two hands on his back - who cares? 

It prevented Gabriel from making contact with the ball, which is a foul. A player can't put two hands in an opponents back and then lean in like that - it is just a foul. 

1 minute ago, healthyaddiction said:

Not sure if you're aware, but just FYI, football isn't a non-contact sport.

Of course, but you can't just stick two hands in an opponents back and prevent them from jumping.

Last I post on it, or we end up going around in circles. Unless someone can prove that you are allowed to do what Joelinton did.

Edited by David Edgar

3 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Gabriel has stooped in and when touched has dropped to the ground. It's soft as shit from Gabriel and that isn't Joelinton's fault.

I agree that Gabriel throws himself forwards after the contact, but to me it looks like Gabriel is prevented from getting the ball by Joelinton's two hands in the back move before that happens. I said already that I think the slightly theatrical way Gabriel goes down hasn't helped his cause, maybe.

If you watch it through, you can see that Joelinton has two arms in Gabriel's back and his weight forward, which stops Gabriel from rising to meet the ball. And I just don't think it is allowed for a player to use his hands/arms like that on an opponent?

Edited by David Edgar

11 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

I dunno, I think all 3 points that VAR checked were warranted.

Did Willock keep the ball in play? They didn't have the technology or camera angle available to make a precise decision. It looked like it was still in play, so they couldn't rule that out.

Did Joelinton stick two hands in Gabriel's back and prevent him from heading the ball? Yeah :lol: So, out of the three this is the one that I feel VAR should've acted on. I guess Gabriel does a little swan dive after the contact which makes it look like he played for it under minimal contact. Probably cost him.

Was Gordon then offside after Joelinton plays the ball in the challenge on Gabriel? I haven't got a clue what the offside rule is now and it seems that VAR didn't have an angle or a frame available to rule on that one so had to let it go. 

Can't see it could ever be an offside for two reasons.

1. Gordon is behind the ball.

2. The ball is not played forward.

Have to say though if this incident happend against us I would have been angry if we hadn't got a freekick for the push.

And the Haverts tackle is a red all day in my book! So by the refs standard in this game I think if that's not a red, Joelintons push is not a freekick.

Guest reefatoon
1 hour ago, GideonShandy said:

It's "deserts," man.  As in, what they deserve.

Desserts is like peach cobbler or tiramisu. Or, er, stottie cakes.

Stottie cake isn’t dessert.

Still buzzing off yesterday, was a proper battle, lots of tackles flying in, lots of aggression, coming away with a 1 0 in a game like that is fantastic. 

Good teams find a way, and we found a way.

Ref was a clown.

As for var, the goal was given on the field of play, so they need conclusive evidence to overturn the goal , there was none, goal stands.

Edited by Bally21

Quite enjoyed listening to Gary Neville’s post match review. I think he’s spot on about Arsenal that their lack of a proper number 9 is hurting them. On us I think he makes a great point that we can become a really really top side by adding that extra quality in final 3rd to win more games against the top sides. That progression going from a really good side to the next level (Neto type winger plus another striker type scenario)

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Great timing, almost perfect, from the commentator on MOTD where he predicts its all about to boil over literally seconds before Havertz smashes Longstaffs ankle.

The challenge Bruno actually got his yellow card is the least yellow card challenge of the lot. The reaction from Viera is the most frustrating reaction I see on a football pitch recently. Holding your face when you've been pushed in the shoulder/chest/neck might have worked before VAR but it's just a cunt move now when we can all see 10 seconds later that you're just being a fanny.

8 hours ago, The Prophet said:

They're taking it how you might expect them to.

Another game to be replayed maybe? 

It's hard for me to understand Liverpool and arsenal, as we have never had any misfortune or even borderline decisions against in 30 years