Newcastle United 1-0 Arsenal (04/11/23) - Post match reaction from p. 46

Yorkie

9 hours ago, Hovagod said:

The thing is, watching the goal, both in the ground and there in real time on the highlights, not one element of it looks especially controversial. Wish VAR would just fuck off

Why VAR got it correct, just took ages to make the decision.

VAR should have sent Bruno and Havertz off for dangerous play.
I Love Bruno but the forearm shite needs to stop, refs will be looking for it now on.

45 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Looking at the incident again now and I'm now 100% that it should've been ruled out because of Joelinton's two hands in the back of Gabriel. Can understand the fume on that one.

Gary Neville, who was a defender himself, said no way in the world was that a foul so it just shows how people can interpret things differently.

With the ref giving the goal on the field I don't think there's enough there to say he's made an error which needs to be overturned.

1 hour ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Arteta's point about "its so difficult to compete at this level" resounds loudly to me, he & everyone else knows were a nightmare to play against (Makams excluded) & were the strongest upcoming force in world football

Yep, there was a shit load of Freudian subconscious stuff coming out there.

Just now, Gawalls said:

A few on the Arsenal forum are saying that Willock is getting racial abuse on Twitter from Arsenal fans?

Most aren’t happy about it like so must just be a few.

Yeah he put it on his instagram. Seems mad to be an Arsenal fan and do that shit considering they probably have one of the most racially diverse fanbases in the league.

18 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I blame arteta for this - he may as well have stood up there and started saying “we will fight them on the beaches”. He purposely just wound all arsenal followers up.

Edited by Gawalls

3 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

A few on the Arsenal forum are saying that Willock is getting racial abuse on Twitter from Arsenal fans?

Most aren’t happy about it like so must just be a few.

Good on them if it’s true, no place for that stuff. 

3 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Yeah he put it on his instagram. Seems mad to be an Arsenal fan and do that shit considering they probably have one of the most racially diverse fanbases in the league.

One is clearly a Russian bot, another appears to be an Arsenal, who has a BAME individual as his profile picture.

I’m biased but I don’t see why there’s such an uproar about our goal. “Worse VAR debacle of all time”? Fuck off. Could have been ruled out but it’s a 50-50 decision; ball probably in, soft “foul” in the build-up and an inconclusive offside. Scandalous how Arteta’s spun the narrative here.

8 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’m biased but I don’t see why there’s such an uproar about our goal. “Worse VAR debacle of all time”? Fuck off. Could have been ruled out but it’s a 50-50 decision; ball probably in, soft “foul” in the build-up and an inconclusive offside. Scandalous how Arteta’s spun the narrative here.

Worst of all time? They didn’t even get an official apology like we and West Ham did.

2 hours ago, Beren said:

This makes a really good point, that Arteta’s reaction is to cause a distraction and to put the pressure on the officials and to take it off their back line for what was awful defending for the goal.

It will also galvanise the club and supporters to think they have been robbed rather than losing a close game where they failed to create any real goal scoring opportunities.

9 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

I don't. They are cunts. So are Chelsea and spurs 

just always been a nicer place to visit particularly in the Highbury sats than trying ti have a drink or walk down either the kings road or Seven Sisters 

1 minute ago, OCOCOL said:

just always been a nicer place to visit particularly in the Highbury sats than trying ti have a drink or walk down either the kings road or Seven Sisters 

Angel is one of my favourite places in London, especially drinking on a nice summers day.

The noise around our goal is stupid, Arteta basically thinking that since there were three checks, surely one of them must be given? But it doesn't work like that.

It wasn't offside. Gordon was behind Joelinton. That's the end of that one.

The ball cannot be conclusively said to be out. That's the end of that one too.

That just leaves the push, that's all Arteta or anyone else has personally I think that was a foul, but it was soft and VC AR have decided there wasn't enough to overrule the on field decision. But the other two checks simply could not be used to disallow the goal.

So there was only one check that can really even be open to debate. Just because they check three things doesn't mean they have to give one to each side, this isn't like distributing sweets to your kids FFS.

Edited by Chris_R

3 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

They got the worlds softest penalty a game or so after the 0-0 last year after a similar Arteta display. Bet they get some dodgy calls vs Burnley next game. 

Refs are told to lean towards certain teams winning for sure, they want as many teams close to City until it’s an impossible gap.

1 minute ago, Bondedcrown said:

So the BBC use Martin Keown as the expert analysing the goal yet couldn't come up with a cogent argument and then says everything was wrong about the decision! Discuss!

Keown comes across as a nasty bastard imho bit like he was on the pitch. 

The only controversy over the goal should be a possible foul. On balance I don’t think it was a clear and obvious error. Raya misses the cross, Gabriel finds himself having to stoop to try and head the ball. Jo now finds himself jumping with a defender stooping, not jumping, and having braced himself for impact with a vertical jumping defender Jo has no option but to put his hands out. Otherwise he is barrelling face first into Gabriel.

That’s my take on it. If the ref had given a foul onfield it wouldn’t have been overturned but, not clear and obvious.

BTW Bruno needs to be fined the next time he needlessly punches or clouts someone on the head. That’s twice he’s got away with it.

Havertz is a dirty twat and has form against us.

6 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The only controversy over the goal should be a possible foul.

Agree with that. I think it's 50-50.

I personally think Gabriel is banking on playing for a foul and doesn't do enough to defend the cross. He's stooped under the flight of the ball before Joelinton has properly made contact.

Does that make contact less of a foul? I think it's soft but you could argue it. I don't think it's incontrovertible-must-be-overturned material.