Bournemouth 2-0 Newcastle United (11/11/23)

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, Decky said:

Think we're lucky to get one of the shit sides away. A better team would have destroyed us today, and we wouldn't want to be playing like that in the home game. 

Eh disagree on this. No points to a relegation side is points dropped. If it were City or Liverpool at least we could say it was an uphill battle anyway

Dreadful performance - Bournemouth very good today. Obviously players missing, tired etc. Still, same issues that often affect us eg. Milan, Dortmund, Arsenal before things got tasty: if teams push up the pitch we struggle to pass our way out of it and give it away, or try and play a quick ball upfield too quickly and lose it.

We rely too much on counter attack and transition after we win the ball back [and we are generally good and well-coached at that]. Today there was no intensity in the press so we never looked like winning it high up, just let them come up the pitch.

But, If we’re not winning the ball and countering then we need to be able to keep the ball and pass through them to get into their final third: we’re just not good at that tiki taka, quick pass and move stuff. Basically, we desperately need to sign more really top technical players for the middle of the park. Enough obsessing over signing tremendous athletes. Top teams have top technicians who make the opposition run. We need some more of those.

Don’t think Howe had a great game today tbh. Big Joe up top clearly wasn’t working, no idea why we stuck to it for so long. Could of brought Tino on instead of Ritchie. More of a 4-4-2 might have worked better if we’re just going to play direct, give the striker someone to interact with. I do think there is a general lack of variety and flexibility in our approach. It's always that 433. I feel like we could have other set ups that we could switch to when that's not working.

Edited by Checko

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

We have been saying it for ages, our squad isn’t good enough or deep enough. We have youngsters who are nowhere near a starting place, and others who should have been move on when we got promoted 7 years ago.

good enough for what?

Meh, one game too far for us with the amount of absentees. We looked out on our feet.

A team thrown together, including kids and geriatrics.

Players out of position.

A couple of players looking in need of a rest.

A couple of players returning from long term injuries.

A couple of youngsters looking very raw.

The international break has come at a good time. No need to panic, Bruno and hopefully Isak back for Chelsea.

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

My point is, it's not just that we're not ready for Europe and that this is what usually happens when you're in Europe. It's crazy to have all these injuries at once. We would be ready for Europe if this freaky thing didn't happen. Is it just bad luck or something else?

It’s our first defeat in 8 games -  we’re currently still in 3 competitions, have played City, Liverpool, Arsenal, West Ham and Villa and have one of the best goal differences in the league. We also are now buying a much higher class of up and coming youngster for the tomorrow’s. Bring yourself to remember these when we do get beat and don’t turn into that supporter.

Eddie clearly deserves some slack given the ridiculous circumstances but the decision to put Matt Ritchie on when it was 0-0 and all to play for does not make any sense to me. It is clear his legs are gone and I cannot see many scenarios where his introduction (rather than Tino, or pushing Hall into midfield) can help a situation where we are being overrun by an athletic team.

Admittedly, any decision he would have made would be suboptimal but he could have opted for the least worse option. 

He was also clearly let down by some terrible performances by a number of senior players. 

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

Eh disagree on this. No points to a relegation side is points dropped. If it were City or Liverpool at least we could say it was an uphill battle anyway

Liverpool or City would have absolutely battered us today with our injuries and fatigue. I'd rather lose to Bournemouth away from home than let Liverpool beat us by 6 or 7. 

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I can't complain much about the match really. The performance was really poor, but it was so obviously massively influenced by injuries, suspensions, and fatigue that it makes it hard to apportion any real blame to anything other than those things.

We could have done with the last weekend before the international break being last week.

Get us in and rested for an extra week and hopefully come back ready to fire on more cylinders 

Pope: 8.5

Trippier: 4.5

Lascelles: 6.5

Schär: 5

Hall: 5.5 Livramento: 5.5

Miley: 6

Longstaff: 5

Joelinton: 4

Willock: 5.5

Gordon: 5.5

Almiron: 5.5

Ritchie: 5

Thought Longstaff was the worst player on the pitch by a good margin

Just now, Decky said:

Liverpool or City would have absolutely battered us today with our injuries and fatigue. I'd rather lose to Bournemouth away from home than let Liverpool beat us by 6 or 7. 

Battered or not, the result would be the same: zero points. I would rather have zero points against a world class side than zero points against a side that will be playing in the Championship next season

1 minute ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Tell you what.....weve not had one easy game against Bournemouth since the cabbage went there and won 1-4

These cunts know Eddie's tactics inside out? 

The cabbage didn't believe in tactics. That was the secret to defeating them obviously! ?

Got off lightly with a 2-0 defeat a better team would have gave us a right pasting today. Too many players absolutely shocking we can highlight injuries, suspensions and fatigue but the truth is a top team should still have enough in reserve or the tank to go and beat these. We need to lose a bit of the sentimental side and realise that if we want to compete in 4 competitions a season every season ( That includes whatever European competition we are in) then we simply cannot have the likes of Ritchie, Dummet,Lascelles,Krafth etc anywhere near the squad

We are literally an injury away to Schar of fielding a Dummet/Lascelles centre back premier league pairing in 2023....thats fucking terrifying and a midfield injury away of Ritchie getting a start

Our recruitment so far has been absolutely spot on but not addressing our dire need for a RW and some creativity in midfield will bite us on the arse

I say we fuck off the champions league this season as theres absolutely no way we are qualifying now and field as strong an 11 as we have at Chelsea and really go to win the carabao cup or FA Cup

January needs to see recruitment though 2 or 3 is needed if we want to try and finish 4th or 5th

4 minutes ago, Beren said:

Pope and Tino were class.

Huge credit to Bournemouth. They played a great game. Cup final levels of energy and a great, well executed game plan. Great tenacity from them.

Newcastle were down to bare bones. Didn't have the players in the middle to control the tempo of the game.

We have been really good at replacing players and retaining our identity but Bruno was one step too far. Longstaff looked like pre-Bruno Longstaff without him.

Hopefully we get players back soon. No need to panic. Would have been a great bonus to get anything out of today with the fitness of the squad. Lots of reasons to remain cheerful.

Yeah.

Key learning today for me would be not to play Joelinton upfront. Ended up hurting our build up play and we also then missed his presence in the middle or his more useful play on the left.

We'll be perfectly fine. Like the potential urgency this also places on what we look to do this January. Even if we can only loan players in.