FA Cup Third Round: sunderland (A) 06/01/24 @ 12:45 - Live on ITV

3 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

This match isn’t even in the top ten most important games of the season.

Sunderland are a midtable championship side, so yeah it’s their biggest game, but compared to Milan in the CL it’s nothing 

It depends what you mean by 'important'. Playing your local rivals is as big a game as they come, to most football fans. It's certainly one of the most emotive.

Even when they were a PL team, it didn't make a huge difference to the overall season outcome, but fuck me, I wanted us to beat them so badly :lol:

Edited by Klaus

33 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

This match isn’t even in the top ten most important games of the season.

Sunderland are a midtable championship side, so yeah it’s their biggest game, but compared to Milan in the CL it’s nothing 

Nonsense, the fans will be more up for this game than any of the champions league matches thus far in my opinion. Not that they need to be ranked.

46 minutes ago, NWMag said:

When do they usually announce tv picks? Draw was over 48 hours ago so would have expected it to be announced by now 

Presumably will be working with the police to decide what date/time it is. Not sure if BBC or ITV have specific slots they need to use, sure BBC normally show an early Saturday game and its never going to be the Friday/Monday night ones

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

Presumably will be working with the police to decide what date/time it is. Not sure if BBC or ITV have specific slots they need to use, sure BBC normally show an early Saturday game and its never going to be the Friday/Monday night ones

Think Saturday early kick off is best we can hope for tbh, bad feeling it will end up Sunday.

1 hour ago, NWMag said:

When do they usually announce tv picks? Draw was over 48 hours ago so would have expected it to be announced by now 

This article claims it’ll be announced on Friday. No idea where they’ve got that from mind.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/chelsea-vs-preston-north-end-tickets-tv-channel-fa-cup-third-round-draw-4432348

8 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

I listened to the full thing last night, their segment on us ended with something like "a member of our production staff is an MLF and wanted me to mention Newcastle hadn't beaten them since 12/13 (or whatever it was), hurr hurr".

Burn responded with something like "fair"... no Dan, since for like 7 of those seasons we've been in a different fucking league to these mackem cunts... wish he'd fired back :lol:

Edited by Elric

5 hours ago, Turnbull2000 said:

In the likely event we win, they'll almost certainly big up that they're the moral winners in not being owned by murderous regime tbh.

Of course they will - as if they (or anyone else) had a say in that.  We know exactly how they’d have reacted under the same circumstances - and they know we know that, which is why that ‘defence’ is as hollow as the middle of a doughnut. 

I'll be honest, when I started following Newcastle during the glory days they never showed the ground before the game which is why I had no fucking idea what Blaydon Races was. I laughed in the early 2000's when the three relegated teams had funny team badges posted on the internet which included the Sunderland ship broken in half and sinking. All that to say since I do not live in nor grew up in the northeast of England you Geordies press on. I'll follow your lead because you know.

2 hours ago, McDog said:

I'll be honest, when I started following Newcastle during the glory days they never showed the ground before the game which is why I had no fucking idea what Blaydon Races was. I laughed in the early 2000's when the three relegated teams had funny team badges posted on the internet which included the Sunderland ship broken in half and sinking. All that to say since I do not live in nor grew up in the northeast of England you Geordies press on. I'll follow your lead because you know.

All you will ever need to know about the mackems are these two things:

That they had several seasons in a row finishing below 40 points in the PL, but they beat us half a dozen times in a row, and therefore those are their glory years.  They will be telling tales of this sixty years hence to their great-great-grandchildren (they breed them early in Sunderland) round the camp fire

Also, they have a thread going on rtg asking whether they would rather get promotion or beat the Mags in the FA Cup.  It’s a landslide win for beating the mags on there

They are utterly obsessed, which is what makes this stuff all the funnier - they believe we are too, but we do it for piss-taking.  There is a genuine rage within that lot

Think we should just fucking ghost them tbh. Rock up with Dummett and Ritchie et al. and be like, 'oh this is a big game for you is it? Sorry, we're just not that bothered. We've just had a crunch top of the table game against Liverpool not long after our crunch Champions League game against Milan, but it's sweet you guys made the effort for us.'

Edited by Checko

18 minutes ago, Checko said:

Think we should just fucking ghost them tbh. Rock up with Dummett and Ritchie et al. and be like, 'oh this is a big game for you is it? Sorry, we're just not that bothered. We've just had a crunch top of the table game against Liverpool not long after our crunch Champions League game against Milan, but it's sweet you guys made the effort for us.'

image.thumb.png.d5cb43f2c195a259ba72cb46c51af40e.png

You see, we're just not that bothered Sunderland. No, no, it doesnt matter that you've beat us once again, it was only our fringe players you see. Yes, yes, we've been talking about this game for weeks, but what we're actually bothered about is Liverpool and Milan. 

Full strength please. I cant be chewed with another loss to them lot. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

44 minutes ago, 54 said:

Good point re atmosphere. As much as we/everyone likes to talk-up the passion of this game, not sure if noise levels are going to be any more intimidating than Paris, Dortmund and Milan. Not to mention some of the noisier Premier League grounds the whole squad are used to. 

Just now, Paully said:

Rumours of a 5K alllocation!

Nice! You’re no doubt nailed on for a ticket. I wonder if there are any ‘options’ for us lesser mortals. I’ve seen three games there (well, two were at RP), in the wrong end, and one in our end. Would walk there to be in the ground.