Everton 3-0 Newcastle United (07/12/23)

Mike

Ok we've lost a game, yes we've got injuries and look knackered, aye maybe howe could have rotated more earlier in the season (bloke is one of the best managers we've ever had tbough).

However some of the doom and gloom man... you'd think it had just been on the news that the earth would be struck by a meteorite the size of Australia next week.

Players will come back from injury, quarter final of league Cup, chance of getting last 16 of CL, fa cup to come, doing OK in league all things considered.

We've just beat arsenal Chelsea manure in the last few weeks BTW.

Onwards and upwards HWTL.

Edited by Bally21

3 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

Ok we've lost a game, yes we've got injuries and look knackered, aye maybe howe could have rotated more earlier in the season (bloke is one of the best managers we've ever had tbough).

However some of the doom and gloom man... you'd think it had just been on the news that the earth would be struck by a meteorite the size of Australia next week.

Players will come back from injury, quarter final of league Cup, chance of getting last 16 of CL, fa cup to come, doing OK in league all things considered.

We've just beat arsenal Chelsea manure in the last few weeks BTW.

Onwards and upwards HWTL.

Knowing our luck, the meteorite would probably strike when we are seconds away from winning a cup 

One of those games where the scoreline isn't really a true reflection of the game imho.

If that was a boxing match last night, we'd let them punch themselves out by the 6th round and had started to control matters in rounds 7/8/9 and best part of the tenth and then we've dropped our guard badly and been caught - totally changed the game the Trippier mistake.

At 0-0 I felt we looked more in control, if not hugely threatening.

If it wasn't for the first mistake, I couldn't see them scoring tbh.

Very different defeat to say Bournemouth where we simply weren't at the races and got exactly what we deserved.

Everton were everything you'd expect from a Dyche side, industrial, zero flair and a bunch of triers - I'd rather pull my eyes out than watch them every week.

We're gonna have these results whilst we're on the bare bones but overall, I don't think a point, at 0-0 would have been an unrealistic outcome nor wholly undeserved.

We were obviously totally knackered and individual errors cost us badly, but I thought Everton played us relatively well by playing the game on their terms and forcing most our play through the middle of the park and they deserved the win tbf. Nevertheless, if we'd taken some of the chances at 0-0 we would've likely come away with something. It's annoying to capitulate in that manner but we have a crunch Champions League game against AC Milan in the week and you'd have been put in an asylum for thinking such things were possible little over two years ago so I can't be too annoyed either.

9 hours ago, Yorkie said:

There's nothing false about that statement. From my point of view this debate is about not piling on the squad and manager when they're shagged and out of options. 

I've never thought qualifying for the CL again was a realistic expectation, fwiw, and that's before I knew how much Villa and Liverpool would improve.

We’re a point behind 5th, which could well be a CL spot.

10 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

We’re a point behind 5th, which could well be a CL spot.

Well, if we are as tired as people say, we're going to lose every single game in december. Unless we get several players back really soon.

3 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

We are not going to lose every single game in December.  We've already won 1 ffs.

Are we magically not going to be tired anymore all of a sudden? If we are this tired already from 2 games in the last 9 days, we will just be more and more tired for each game.

Edited by Erikse

They’re knackered by circumstances. They’re not superhuman. We don’t have the luxury of rotation - that will take the heat off individuals. 

under the circumstances, they’re holding up well; perhaps more than we dare hope for. 

2 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

We are not going to lose every single game in December.  We've already won 1 ffs.

It only counts from when the negativity cloud turned up, and rained nuts and bolts all over our training ground. And some IEDs and banana skins 

47 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

One of those games where the scoreline isn't really a true reflection of the game imho.

If that was a boxing match last night, we'd let them punch themselves out by the 6th round and had started to control matters in rounds 7/8/9 and best part of the tenth and then we've dropped our guard badly and been caught - totally changed the game the Trippier mistake.

At 0-0 I felt we looked more in control, if not hugely threatening.

If it wasn't for the first mistake, I couldn't see them scoring tbh.

Very different defeat to say Bournemouth where we simply weren't at the races and got exactly what we deserved.

Everton were everything you'd expect from a Dyche side, industrial, zero flair and a bunch of triers - I'd rather pull my eyes out than watch them every week.

We're gonna have these results whilst we're on the bare bones but overall, I don't think a point, at 0-0 would have been an unrealistic outcome nor wholly undeserved.

I don't think we were at the races. We didn't play well at all really. Everton are just an average team.

I think the game looked like a mistake might lose it and that came to pass.

I'd like us to try and play hard from the off, rather than try and manage our legs. Let's try and get in the lead and hold on like we did against PSG. We never played with any zip or urgency. Too many touches at the back and that ultimately cost us when the mistakes came in.

Edited by The College Dropout

On the brightside spurs have a few injuries still. Their confidence is likely to be crippled after recent results.

Then after that we've got fulham forest and Luton in the league

Edited by jack j

If having our 2 latest games with 5 days rest before each game is the biggest reason as to why we had less than half the xG of what Everton had, then ofcourse I'm not positive about the next games where we have 3 days to rest between games. Unless fatigue actually wasn't the biggest factor.

Teams have players missing like we do and they sink like a stone. We’re still here, still in it and still fighting. Rotation can work both ways, if we had rotated earlier in the season and still had this injury crisis which is entirely possible with the types of injuries picked up, and we were sitting in 12th I think fans would be losing their minds. It’s all hypotheticals, we coulda shoulda with hindsight, important thing is we are in this tough spot and no one is shying away, no one is accepting excuses we are just rolling on. It’ll all come good. 

I think when people mention fatigue, they forget mental fatigue. It’s tough coming from Paris to Man United to Everton with the same starting 11, no options to give you a break and you have to go into every game with an elite mentality. It isn’t easy, it’s very tiring. You know every game you’re putting in a colossal shift and if it goes wrong there’s no game changers on the bench, it’s all on you. 

7 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

Plenty of us have said fatigue is also mental as well.

That clip from Burn the other day was so interesting. He felt like he'd played an entire season, mentally, when it came to one of the international breaks.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon