Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Extraordinary is not understanding that we were pushing too and Schar, regardless of position, is regularly a key attacking route for us. There is literally no need to find a scapegoat, it was a tradeoff we came out on the wrong side of. Not everything in football has to have a person or persons at fault, it's generally more complicated than that.

Not looking to scapegoat, to me it’s an example of the naivety which has been consistent throughout the European campaign.

We didn’t need to push.  Milan did. 

Just now, Gawalls said:

So you couldn’t see any chance of pope getting to the second? It was just a low shot across goal, the first granted.

No, it was a really good finish, Pope isn't superman like, I don't think any keeper saves that :lol: 

Devastated after that, thought we made a decent account of ourselves and should have been home and dry in that first half. Second half I think the nerves set in and the effort we put into the first half took its toll.

Subs gave us a second wind but probably naively, we pushed the envelope too early and paid the price against a team looking to counter all night.

It's been a rough couple of weeks for us but we've seen this before and we've come back better. Being completely out of Europe will probably help us to get some legs back but it doesn't really soften the blow.

10 minutes ago, Andy said:

We had to win the game to qualify, I'm not going to rip into them for pushing on and having a go like, even if it was a bit naive. Quite happy to fuck the Europa League off, we can clearly do without the additional fixtures. 

Thing is though, we're good enough to challenge for the Europa League with a bit of luck, and it's also another route back into the Champions League if we win it. Would have been well worth going into that.

Ah well ...

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There was almost ten mins of play left.  We’re in the UEFA Cup, at a minimum, at that point.

If we were in Europe every year, then perhaps we can sneer at the thought of the ‘step down’ into the UEFA Cup.  But we qualified for Europe once in 15 years before this season. 

OK fair enough.. for me I've no problem with it...

Edited by Bally21

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Not looking to scapegoat, to me it’s an example of the naivety which has been consistent throughout the European campaign.

We didn’t need to push.  Milan did. 

We did if we wanted to stay in the CL. Honestly don't understand how you're not getting that. Winners give it all for the top prize, not second best

1 minute ago, 54 said:

I wouldn't say we "Bottled it" but do think we lacked the nous required to see them sort of games. Which lets be real, should be expected, we are way ahead of schedule, and this was a lot of these players first time playing at this level, was to be expected, hopefully the player group and management learn from it going forward.

This is a nice way to say we bottled it. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There was almost ten mins of play left.  We’re in the UEFA Cup, at a minimum, at that point.

If we were in Europe every year, then perhaps we can sneer at the thought of the ‘step down’ into the UEFA Cup.  But we qualified for Europe once in 15 years before this season. 

'step down' are your words... not mine 

Edited by Bally21

Gutted but a little relieved to be honest. The prize money from qualification would've helped with FFP but any sort of run in Europe would kill us in the league IMO. Cast into the group of death, cursed with injuries, decisions cost us points and we still brought it to the wire. But the character and spirit that'll be forged from the experience will push this team onto another level. Get the bench back and get a bit of rest into the players legs and they'll fear nobody in the business end of the season. They'll feel robbed by fate of knockout European football and be running around with a bag of chips on their shoulders.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

We did if we wanted to stay in the CL. Honestly don't understand how you're not getting that. Winners give it all for the top prize, not second best

I do get it, it’s not complicated, but it’s not something which required an act of desperation at that point.  It was naive. 

And given we have won literally nothing for six decades, I don’t think we can talk about ‘second best’.  The UEFA Cup isn’t a booby prize. 

Just now, 54 said:

No, it was a really good finish, Pope isn't superman like, I don't think any keeper saves that :lol: 

We’ll have to agree to to disagree - we’ve all seen Pope make some incredible saves and even the two times they hit the post he was well beaten. He just doesn’t change games for me, can’t see us ever saying “fuck me dubravka was MOTM for me” like we’ve all done for Pope.