Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Hard to criticise this team but that was an ordinary Milan team very much there for the taking for me.

We need to steady the ship with just a win of any sorts on Saturday, starting to look all a bit disjointed and forced at the minute.

Keeper situation needs resolved in January and we need Botman back asap.

Botman is literally our most important player. Incredible how we’ve coped so long without him.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

We had to win the game to qualify, I'm not going to rip into them for pushing on and having a go like, even if it was a bit naive. Quite happy to fuck the Europa League off, we can clearly do without the additional fixtures. 

Aye and we still had plenty time to do so. I'm not ripping into anyone, doesn't change that I think it was a daft thing to do. We give our all and came up short. I'm not bitterly blaming anyone.

Just now, Ronaldo said:

Very sad, lots of effort and being back in the CL has been great but that was a carbon copy of the Liverpool game. Took the foot of the gas trying to sit deep and play counter attack and we’re just really poor at it. Tactically bossed.

Something else in the final third badly needed in January. 

Very true this, like. We had loads of opportunities on the break when it opened up around 70 minutes but they were so slow to make a decision; let them regroup every time. 

Howe needs reinforcements - whether that's returning players or new signings - but I think he's shown some tactical weakness this season. We're wedded to a particular style and when that's good it's great. But all our plan Bs are generally unconvincing. 

Just now, BullyDogs said:

In typical heartbreaking NUFC fashion the season is starting to unravel in 4 weeks we could be out of Europe, out of the Carabao, way off in the league and it all culminates with getting beat off the mackems

We've seen this all before im sure we aren't allowed to have nice things and the club is cursed

There were always going to be ups and downs, it can't be smooth sailing to the very top.

Hope it motivates the team to get back in the competition next season.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, extraordinary the numbers who aren’t getting that.  Milan had four forwards on - they were desperate, knowing that they had to win. We needed patience, not our centre half thinking he’s Beckenbauer.

These lads have done the club proud, but naivety is not a trait that the elite sides have.  We’ll be there soon enough

Yeah this essentially think some are being overly defensive over slight criticism. 

No complaints with the outcome. It was in our hands, we held it there and threw it away ourselves. A win or even a draw and we did the one thing we absolutely couldn't allow to happen from 1 nil up.

Very naive play from Schär, non-existent goalkeeping from Dubravka and forward play from Wilson, an extremely odd decision to bring off Trippier, ineffective subs to a man that made us worse, and some missed chances by both teams. A perfect storm and one that felt self inflicted with hindsight. 

Very disappointing to completely go out like that.  We've had some great memories in this competition, one of them up there with the best in my time supporting the club, and we've robbed ourselves with that second half.

Also pretty shit to see a lot of the crowd not stay behind to applaud the lads.

Dubravka: 5

Trippier: 7.5 

Lascelles: 7.5 

Schär: 6

Livramento: 6.5

Bruno: 7.5 

Joelinton: 8

Miley: 7.5

Almiron: 6

Wilson: 5

Gordon: 7.5 

Burn: 5.5

Isak: 5.5

Longstaff: 5.5

We tread that fine line of qualifying for CL and settling for Europa and got caught and ended up with neither 

not going to lie I cannot stand the fact the 3rd place team goes in to the Europa league. I understand it because it reduces the amount of dead rubbers & teams with nothing to play for but it doesn’t have devalue the Europa league 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

No complaints with the outcome. It was in our hands, we held it there and threw it away ourselves. A win or even a draw and we did the one thing we absolutely couldn't allow to happen from 1 nil up.

Very naive play from Schär, non-existent goalkeeping from Dubravka and forward play from Wilson, an extremely odd decision to bring off Trippier, ineffective subs to a man that made us worse, and some missed chances by both teams. A perfect storm and one that felt self inflicted with hindsight. 

Very disappointing to completely go out like that.  We've had some great memories in this competition, one of them up there with the best in my time supporting the club, and we've robbed ourselves with that second half.

Thought Dubravka played well - defense let him down. He was positioned well on a few of those posts from Milan

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Hmm, I didn’t think Lascelles and Bruno had particularly good games tbh.  

13 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

So fucking sick of us losing now. Absolutely heartbreaking, this season is a piss take so far.

Over react much? We’re still 7th in the league with loads of injuries and a few kids have forced their way into first team contention during the difficult times. We’re still in the cup, again with kids getting us through, Gordon has massively grown this season and we’ve done ourselves proud in the CL. 

Small margins and I genuinely believe if Pope was playing we’re still in Europe tonight as their keeper made a couple of amazing saves and Dubravka doesn’t have that in his game.

This is not the definition of “a piss take” - be proud of the effort, be happy we play less games now and move on.

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Botman is literally our most important player. Incredible how we’ve coped so long without him.

Exactly, Liverpool collapsed without Van Dijk can’t be overstated how much where missing him.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

He's not a centre forward either so it's a bit of a conundrum that Howe needs to resolve.

What ? :lol:  He’s a brilliant forward when not knackered. He’s never worked on the left 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I really don't get the Dubravka stuff? Thought he was more that fine even looked decent at times, was literally nothing he could do about either goal, and was assured in pretty much everything he did?