Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

Why do people keep saying it's better we're out because we don't have the squad to cope with knockouts? Is it some sort of coping mechanism?

Knockouts don't start til February. We would have had our squad back plus January to strengthen. Carabao cup final is in February.

2 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Delete my account because I have the absolute temerity to criticise Howes game management tonight

That was terrible and naive tonight we had that game won and going to the last 16 to just throw it away like that is a disgrace really and anyone that thinks differently is naive too

This was the Liverpool game all over again game was won but the changes and our approach once they scored fucked us. Once they scored we all could see what was coming

No delete your account because you offer fuck all in terms of your shit opinions. Sorry, should've been clearer

Just now, Magpie said:

Utter shite man

I disagree, but anyway. On the whole I’m very proud of the team in terms of what they have shown in the CL, but these were absolutely there for the taking. Knew we would need another to kill it because we’re so brittle.

Gutted. Thought we were a bit needlessly gun ho and open with still a fair amount of time left to play. I get going for the win was the right thing to do but we could have gone about it in a better way. Gordon and Tripps coming off hurt us a lot too. 

Was confident that we would smash Milan before the game and was looking good at ht.

Really hard to take in how we've ended up bottom of this group. 

Non-Newcastle fans revelling in this run of defeats and pressure Howe will now come under from some sections makes it all the more galling.

However there have been a lot of fine margins and bad luck - woodwork at home to Dortmund twice, Paris robbery, a dozen injuries at the same time including first choice keeper, Maigon's thumb etc.

So disappointed to be out of Europe and worried it'll take a while to bounce back from this defeat.

Fulham will see this as a good opportunity to play us now and then Stamford Bridge always a tough fixture, so things could get worse before they get better.

Am confident league form will pick up in the new year with less games and players coming back. 

Good shot at the domestic cups so being out of Europe may turn out for the best in the long run.

1-0 up at home. Looked the better side. The away side didn’t even perform that much better in the second half.  

I think it’s fair to say that we lost it. Is it not? At the top level you can’t separate the physical and the mental and I think it all played a part.  Look at Giroud’s composure when it mattered. 

3 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Delete my account because I have the absolute temerity to criticise Howes game management tonight

That was terrible and naive tonight we had that game won and going to the last 16 to just throw it away like that is a disgrace really and anyone that thinks differently is naive too

This was the Liverpool game all over again game was won but the changes and our approach once they scored fucked us. Once they scored we all could see what was coming

All you ever do is piss and moan, constantly going on about how bad Howe is and how we're going to lose to the Mackems, you bring no insight at all just a clear vendetta, it's tiresome. 

Thought when Burn came on for Trippier we were playing for a draw. Howe probably knew the players would be emptied after 60 mins. The longer that game went on the more goals we were conceding. We'd lads who'd played 12 hours in the last month defending against lads who'd barely played an hour.

3 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

Why do people keep saying it's better we're out because we don't have the squad to cope with knockouts? Is it some sort of coping mechanism?

Knockouts don't start til February. We would have had our squad back plus January to strengthen. Carabao cup final is in February.

Exactly. We have about 2 months to get players back and fit, plus another transfer window to maybe get a body or 2 in. The knockouts aren't next week like. The Europa League is a legit chance of winning silverware, creating more great memories and of course another option for qualifying for next season's Champions League. It baffles me that people are happy we didn't qualify for it and would rather we go out altogether.

Edited by Decky

3 minutes ago, Decky said:

Can't believe some people think not falling into the EL is a positive. :lol: We're literally just back in Europe and people are turning their nose up at the Europa League? Wild.

We’re not turning our nose up at it, just prioritising a higher league finish over a run in a competition Liverpool are still in.

Just now, LiquidAK said:

No delete your account because you offer fuck all in terms of your shit opinions. Sorry, should've been clearer

Are we only allowed opinions if they fall in line with everyone else's then?

That's not how an opinion works but fair enough I take your point on board 

Telling someone to delete their account because their opinion may differ from yours is not how a forum is meant to be

Just now, Decky said:

Exactly. We have about 2 months to get players back and fit, plus another transfer window to maybe get a body or 2 in. The knockouts aren't next week like. The Europa League is a legit chance of winning silverware, creating more great memories and of course another option for qualifying for next season's Champions League. 

You do know we have no money for the jan transfer window don’t you?

The only player I can really criticise is Miggy. He has to finish that tap in, even if it's with his wrong foot. 

It's great to have Longstaff and Burn back. Hopefully we'll be able to used Burn to give Trippier a bit of a rest. 

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

We’re not turning our nose up at it, just prioritising a higher league finish over a run in a competition Liverpool are still in.

Should we play our reserves against Chelsea next week then?

2 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

All you ever do is piss and moan, constantly going on about how bad Howe is and how we're going to lose to the Mackems, you bring no insight at all just a clear vendetta, it's tiresome. 

I'm not saying we are going to lose im saying that any fan over 40 has been through all this kind of heartbreak before. Emotions are just raw tonight 

Is this another "baller" situation? Has "bottled it" got a new definition these days? To me it's related to being cowardly or lacking courage and that's the exact opposite of what I've seen from each and every player and member of staff in recent times. They've given it everything they have, stretched themselves to the limit and gone toe to toe with multiple-time European champions a couple of years after almost being relegated. 

It's fine to be disappointed, it's good to be feeling anything these days but to question the integrity of our players is a wee bit extreme, I think. 

At 1-1 we had a decision to make, keep going and take the risk to get CL but know that could hurt us and be out of Europe all together

Howe and the club have ambitions of being the best, clubs that are the best and want to be the best would take that risk every single time, no doubts about it

And I'm totally cool with that approach because I want us to be the best, if you have a more risk averse attitude then to me that shows we are settling and I don't want a manager/ownership that wants to settle

I get there will be people that think differently and ultimately that's their prerogative 

Just now, number37 said:

Is this another "baller" situation? Has "bottled it" got a new definition these days? To me it's related to being cowardly or lacking courage and that's the exact opposite of what I've seen from each and every player and member of staff in recent times. They've given it everything they have, stretched themselves to the limit and gone toe to toe with multiple-time European champions a couple of years after almost being relegated. 

It's fine to be disappointed, it's good to be feeling anything these days but to question the integrity of our players is a wee bit extreme, I think. 

Could not agree more, top post