Liverpool 4-2 Newcastle United (01/01/2024)

BlueStar

Just now, joeyt said:

Out of interest is xG 0.75 for every penalty no matter who the taker and circumstances?

it’s .76 (I rounded for ease) but yeah. It’s based on historical conversion rates iirc.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Much improved performance. We are back on track. 5 years behind Liverpool but we have gave them a game despite Longstaff etc who will be nowhere near a start in a years time. 

Is this a joke?

2 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Then what is it? Something must be fundamentally wrong then?

I think there is, in all honesty.  There has to be something wrong with the medical & sports science at the club.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.  We’re not playing any more games than other clubs in the same position.  

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

Liverpool just made a new XG record in the PL [emoji38]

And we scored twice. If your not on board your not on board. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I think there is, in all honesty.  There has to be something wrong with the medical & sports science at the club.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.  We’re not playing any more games than other clubs in the same position.  

And yet they all have bigger squads?

1 minute ago, black_n_white said:

Is this a joke?

What do you want?  It’s a slow build. Last seasons over performance has made people look like daft cunts. 

Just now, RS said:

And we scored twice. If your not on board your not on board. 

Fuck that sorry mate. We were outplayed and we dont learn at all away from home. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Longstaff getting a kicking but I didn’t think Bruno was much better tbh

Bruno was awful today, he struggles in high pace games.  But he's been our best player against others teams and Longstaff has just been poor against any decent side. Feels like he is playing above his natural level. I'm sure he'll be fine against sunderland.

Can't believe what I'm reading here. Improved performance? Are you having a laugh? 

Terrible, insipid, almost Bruce like performance. Just sitting deep and backing off all game and allowing them endless shots and chances hoping our goalie plays a blinder and we score some fluke goals. 

Almiron subbed on and delivers a performance straight out of the Bruce years when he was benched. 

Just now, nufc123 said:

Fuck that sorry mate. We were outplayed and we dont learn at all away from home. 

It’s Liverpool. They are massive. FFS. Little Newcastle man

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Ask the men at the top they're the ones paid millions, poor transfer window, poor tactics away from home. I've never seen once this season away in the league, a press or starting the game on the front foot (except against a terrible Sheff Utd team). We have just conceded the most shots in a premier league team this season. Defeats against Luton, Forest, Everton and Bournemouth. So yes questions should be asked, or are we going down the Benitez line again. These last 6 weeks have been shockingly bad and we look like a team fighting relegation and the defence looks like a sieve. 

The people at the top obviously thought the window and managers decisions so far have been sufficient, or something would have changed.  He asked you what you think. 

Easy to call them out, but throw your opinions out there to back it up. 

Personally this is why I don't air my thoughts too much as I'm largely proved wrong. :lol:

6 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Ask the men at the top they're the ones paid millions, poor transfer window, poor tactics away from home. I've never seen once this season away in the league, a press or starting the game on the front foot (except against a terrible Sheff Utd team). We have just conceded the most shots in a premier league team this season. Defeats against Luton, Forest, Everton and Bournemouth. So yes questions should be asked, or are we going down the Benitez line again. These last 6 weeks have been shockingly bad and we look like a team fighting relegation and the defence looks like a sieve. 

You're being asked, it's just a forum mate, not a job interview. :lol:

I think Howe has done an amazing job, but that was awful. We looked like a bottom half of the league team playing against a top team. The gulf between us and them was huge. He has a lot of work to do and we need better quality in the squad. Playing above and beyond ourselves has ran it's course. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think the better players bit is quite important. 

It is in terms of results, of course.  No argument there.

The issue is the incessant injuries.  We must be averaging two per week.  That’s not normal - we aren’t the first team to unexpectedly qualify for Europe. I’ve never seen anything like it. 

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Thankfully it was Tony Gubba and Jon Champion when I played it.

I liked beglin, just relentlessly negative, even on a game. Made you feel bad if you missed a chance 

We've been shirt recently, but realistically we are going to finish between 6th and 8th this season which is about right imo.  The fourth place came at least two seasons too early for us.