sunderland 0-3 Newcastle United (06/01/24)

Yorkie

10 hours ago, Heron said:

No worries. I'm not sure how many people used to sing this version as amongst my "match lads" this was the version (fellas in their 60s and us - their sons) but a lot of mates from the flags group etc. Had never heard of it and it's actually a running joke that I had made up a song but since, others have heard others sing it. So curious to know if anyone else has...?

Yes, ‘bring on your Hearts, your Hibs, your Celtic’ is one I knew as a teenager.  There was another version which had the same rest of the verse, but started with ‘Bring on Sunderland and Arsenal’ instead.  

23 hours ago, Wandy said:

I had the exact same experience when watching the cup final last February, but I watched it in The Clock. I was surrounded by lads who you just knew were part of the old school, singing all of our traditional songs at the top of their voices. It was pretty depressing knowing that our end should have been filled with these lads, rather than them having no choice but to watch it in a bar. Our old hardcore are now watching NUFC matches in front of a TV screen and that is a serious problem.

The reaction of the fans they zoomed in on after Isak's penalty was so depressing. Maybe don't expect full-on limbs these days when you score a penalty in added time with the win already nailed on, but at least some fist pumps. The lads on camera looked they were at the f*cking theatre.                                            I've read some on Twitter saying we shouldn't shaming fans who don't sing away from home. For me, that's utter bollocks. The sole purpose of away fans is to lend enough vocal support to reduce the opposition's home advantage. And to get mortal, obviously.

52 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Have to say, I’m in the ‘don’t like NUFC in white shorts & socks’ camp.  Would rather wear an away kit. 

Well that used to be my way of thinking also but after this display on top of the PSG performance, I'm beginning to have a serious rethink!

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Liam O over the wall was better

Was really talking about Stadium of Light...Liam O was at Roker with a terrace no? that's apple and oranges in terms of footballing worlds! 

46 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Liam O over the wall was better

Was at both the O'Brien over the wall and Dabizas games. I genuinely feared for my life as a 14 year old lad during the aftermath of O'Briens goal. I was swept clean off my feet and ended up wedged up against a crush barrier about 10 feet from where if originally been standing, and totally separated from may dad's.mate who took me. I literally couldn't move and could feel my rib cage being crushed against it and couldn't catch my breath. Proper blind panic came over me. Luckily some huge monster of a bloke realised what was going on and managed to position himself between me and the mass of people behind me and I was able to scramble underneath the barrier and stand back up in front of it.

The Dabizas celebrations were pretty mental as well mind!

18 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Must admit, given the apparent desperation to unnecessarily play in away kits these days, I was astonished we weren't in the awful green garb. I love us in the white shorts but it was undeniably the wrong choice from an accessibility point of view as KI says. 

I'm lost with how kit choices are made tbh; it just seems totally random with no loyalty to the kits themselves. Why didn't we wear Saturday's kit at Sheffield United, for instance? Why did we wear all white at Sheff Wed and all blue at Leeds last season? Why the white shorts at Chelsea? Why weren't any of our kits suitable for Brighton (a)? Why do we mix and match away socks? Makes it (even more) difficult to develop a real affection for these kits when there's no true version. 

I might be well off here, but I'm pretty sure there's generally an obligation to the manufacturer to wear the change kits a certain number of times in a season. 

Also love us in the black and white with the white shorts. Memories of the 1-4 and Champions League nights this season. Class.

8 hours ago, Magpie said:

Well that used to be my way of thinking also but after this display on top of the PSG performance, I'm beginning to have a serious rethink!

Same. I want white shorts permanently now. 

48 minutes ago, Hudson said:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/sorry-for-this-positive-post.1624739/

Best fans in the world, all behind the team. Yada Yada

Strange because I’m sure they departed in droves before the game ended. 

Rewriting history again I see. As they all started pissing off on 80 minutes to "we can see you sneaking out" from the away end. Then in their droves when the penalty was given. But don't let facts get in the way of a good old story eh?

7 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Singing "Sunlun 'till I die!" while walking out before the game finishes...

Their fans were nothing special at all FFS! 

utter bull shit once again from them lot! 

6 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Was at both the O'Brien over the wall and Dabizas games. I genuinely feared for my life as a 14 year old lad during the aftermath of O'Briens goal. I was swept clean off my feet and ended up wedged up against a crush barrier about 10 feet from where if originally been standing, and totally separated from may dad's.mate who took me. I literally couldn't move and could feel my rib cage being crushed against it and couldn't catch my breath. Proper blind panic came over me. Luckily some huge monster of a bloke realised what was going on and managed to position himself between me and the mass of people behind me and I was able to scramble underneath the barrier and stand back up in front of it.

The Dabizas celebrations were pretty mental as well mind!

Was at the O'Brien the first by the entrance way in the small corner and a crash barrier (probably crucially). Could barely see anything and for celebration all I could do was get one arm up and give the v's to nobody and everybody like a periscope, which is fitting cos behind the goal is like a sea for that goal, too tight to do anything but crowd serge.

Controversial but I always think that's the better goal of the two.

Most mental I've probably gone was Gary Speeds at home, however.

Edited by Jonas

Before this thread goes "dead", I need to get this off my chest.  I listened to radio Newcastle on the Monday evening after the wear Tyne Derby.  Marco Gabbadini was an absolute disgrace.  He very rarely talked about the actual game/tactics etc.  He was totally absorbed and obsessive about the "photo" that happened at the end of the game.  He thought it was "very disrespectful" and that it was a pre planned act of arrogance.  Every Newcastle fan was treated awfully by him.  Some sunderland fans even called in giving us support/understanding and told him to back off.  He was awful!

Just now, Rod said:

Before this thread goes "dead", I need to get this off my chest.  I listened to radio Newcastle on the Monday evening after the wear Tyne Derby.  Marco Gabbadini was an absolute disgrace.  He very rarely talked about the actual game/tactics etc.  He was totally absorbed and obsessive about the "photo" that happened at the end of the game.  He thought it was "very disrespectful" and that it was a pre planned act of arrogance.  Every Newcastle fan was treated awfully by him.  Some sunderland fans even called in giving us support/understanding and told him to back off.  He was awful!

He said exactly the same thing again today, I think someone on there should just tell him to shut up!

1 minute ago, manorpark said:

He said exactly the same thing again today, I think someone on there should just tell him to shut up!

There was no bother (ish) at the game but Marco Gabbadini's comments could create trouble or inflame conflict.  Someone needs a word with him.

Plus if we're going down the lack of class route he's fixated on he would do well to remember Sunderland's piss taking when Newcastle's takeover was initially rejected. Club and fans alike, they absolutely revelled in it. And thats fine - they're local rivals - but you have to take the medicine when it's dished the other way. 

The team photo actually felt like a bit of payback tbh, a chance to really rub their faces in it after a long long wait. 

Edited by Stuy_O

2 hours ago, Stuy_O said:

Plus if we're going down the lack of class route he's fixated on he would do well to remember Sunderland's piss taking when Newcastle's takeover was initially rejected. Club and fans alike, they absolutely revelled in it. And thats fine - they're local rivals - but you have to take the medicine when it's dished the other way. 

The team photo actually felt like a bit of payback tbh, a chance to really rub their faces in it after a long long wait. 

I seem to remember loads of them gloating that they’d go and buy Man Utd / Inter / Marseille now.  They forgot that they were dyed in the wool Amnesty activists temporarily.  Then they remembered again when the takeover was suddenly back on.