Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

Agreed with toontownman. Think there will be no shortage of qualified applicants/targets especially after the last 2 seasons and even where we are this season having been decimated by injury crises. They'll be at an ambitious club with all of the legally available backing :shifty: .

Edited by thomas

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Decent record and good forward planning as far as I can tell. Brentford are the main moneyball club in the league AFAIK.

As of the end of last season, they extracted the greatest value in the Premier League. I am extremely pro-Phil Giles 

image.thumb.png.3a89b5712b6d89862b86d099692c9b02.png

13 minutes ago, Jagten said:

As of the end of last season, they extracted the greatest value in the Premier League. I am extremely pro-Phil Giles 

image.thumb.png.3a89b5712b6d89862b86d099692c9b02.png

I don’t think it’s quite so simple though is it? As had been mentioned Brentford are data led and this comes from the owner. If Giles has access to this and can implement it here then crack on and let’s get him in. 

21 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t think it’s quite so simple though is it? As had been mentioned Brentford are data led and this comes from the owner. If Giles has access to this and can implement it here then crack on and let’s get him in. 

Phil Giles has a PhD in applied maths (from Newcastle). He spent 8 years at Matthew Benham's SmartOdds in quant research (eventually running it), developing some of the formative models in football analytics, before impressing enough to be appointed as Brentford's co-DoF. I think he's better equipped for a data-led approach than anyone, and he's way more interesting than Ashworth. 

6 hours ago, High Five o said:

A bit worried about the noise that Ashworth was outside the inner circle and that he did not have the full control of the sporting side.

I genuinely fear that Eddie have to much power and influence to much at the club. Get his nephew a job in the scouting department etc. This cannot happen and we definitely need a sporting director overseeing everything.

This is not me not liking Eddie, he is fantastic. But to much trust in a job that is so volatile is not a good long term strategy.

Is it not the role of Staveley that complicates our structure as she's managing the club on behalf of PIF? It's an extra tier of management that most clubs don't have. 

Not criticising Staveley in anyway just that our model is different to many other clubs. 

51 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Is it not the role of Staveley that complicates our structure as she's managing the club on behalf of PIF? It's an extra tier of management that most clubs don't have. 

Not criticising Staveley in anyway just that our model is different to many other clubs. 

I would think she's effectively the ownership representative - acting like a chair - rather than running the day-to-day football or commercial operations

I hope so, anyway

2 hours ago, Jagten said:

Phil Giles has a PhD in applied maths (from Newcastle). He spent 8 years at Matthew Benham's SmartOdds in quant research (eventually running it), developing some of the formative models in football analytics, before impressing enough to be appointed as Brentford's co-DoF. I think he's better equipped for a data-led approach than anyone, and he's way more interesting than Ashworth. 

Given he's an NUFC fan it all seems like a perfect fit, but he's been at Brentford for quite some time - I'm sure he'll have had other approaches; maybe it would be difficult to persuade him to move?

3 hours ago, Jagten said:

You’ll do for us bonny lad. 

8 hours ago, Pandamninator said:

He has never been a Monchi/Campos type of Sporting Director - in all his roles he has been relatively hands off, never really been a scout and as has been mentioned a bazillion times the whole "spoke in the wheel" mantra is about being the guy who sits above the detail and makes sure everyone is talking and working in a consistent way.  Closer to a Chief Operating Officer in the corporate world.

Manchester United are meant to be bringing in a Director of Football along side Ashworth, and Man City have operated with a tandem working in the equivalent of Technical Director and Director of Football roles.  If Howe has the final say and runs the scouting/transfers, than that would be by design rather than a power grab.  

If the club is worried about Howe stretching himself too thin, they would be well placed to replace Ashworth whilst also bringing in someone to sit above Nickson (or even promoting him).

I am aware of the role Ashworth had. My point is that our scouting, medical and other backroom positions should be set up by the club with a long time perspective. That means our director of football should build this in his vision. A manager should operate independently of this, and have no say.

I fear if we let Howe or any other manger influence this it will end in a lot of turbulence and us not reaching our potential as soon as we could.

I am pretty confident that Ashworth would have stayed if we gave him the keys to the castle on the sporting side, my guess is that we didn’t.

12 minutes ago, High Five o said:

I am aware of the role Ashworth had. My point is that our scouting, medical and other backroom positions should be set up by the club with a long time perspective. That means our director of football should build this in his vision. A manager should operate independently of this, and have no say.

I fear if we let Howe or any other manger influence this it will end in a lot of turbulence and us not reaching our potential as soon as we could.

I am pretty confident that Ashworth would have stayed if we gave him the keys to the castle on the sporting side, my guess is that we didn’t.

Totally agree with this, it ensures we’re not affected when someone leaves because it’s all about the system rather than the personnel. 

Certainly wouldn't be a fan of brining in that ex Bournemouth guy. Like others have said, I don't think brining in someone who Howe knows is a good move. Make a fresh start. 

They need to move quickly whatever they do and ideally find someone we dont have to pay any compo for.

7 hours ago, Jack27 said:

Why am I reading Man Utd fans say we can’t hire somebody while Ashworth is on gardening leave?

Are they that dense?

Why am I reading on here that Newcastle fans want Howe out and Isak sold as he's too injury prone?

Are they that dense?

You see the issue with your blanket statement? 

6 hours ago, Jagten said:

Is he involved at all at the academy, womens, and sports science levels? 

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Is he involved at all at the academy, womens, and sports science levels? 

Stick the high performance episode on with him, it's a good listen.

35 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Why am I reading on here that Newcastle fans want Howe out and Isak sold as he's too injury prone?

Are they that dense?

You see the issue with your blanket statement? 

One is fans opinions based on watching their team, could be right could be wrong but it's their opinion.  

Man U Fans talking about if we can hire somebody else now is just objectively wrong, surely?

Don't want to put us down but at this moment in time I think man u are still shopping in a different transfer market to us.

Which is ironic as we have the money but the tight purse strings.

So I'm not sure the deals we are working on or direct competition with theirs just yet 

I think we are.

Livramento, Trippier, Botman, Bruno, Gordon, Isak would all be solid to great signings for Man U at the time they were purchased. A few would start for them now.

I think they will move away from the £200k+ wages for new signings in the main.

Edited by The College Dropout