Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

Posted (edited)

On a side note, find it weird people still put Sky on a pedestal, in terms of news. They've been slow and quite unreliable for an age.

Edit: not directed at anyone here, just a general observation.

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone know anything of note this guy has done in this role throughout his career ? Only thing I can find is he discovered Werner.

He had a pretty tidy CV in Germany as a senior scouting man. No idea what he's been doing since then though.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone know anything of note this guy has done in this role throughout his career ? Only thing I can find is he discovered Werner.

Signed Joelinton at Hoffenheim

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2024 at 05:47, 80 said:

It'd be interesting to find out on what basis our recruiters are screening out applications. Whether Giles is one of them or not - again, we can't make too many assumptions at the minute. 

I have to say, I'm not entirely comfortable with us (apparently?) outsourcing the search to an external agency again. It made more sense to me the first time around with Ashworth, when we'd just been taken over and had much less internal infrastructure.

I realise that the exact way in which we're using them could vary a lot, and therefore affect my opinion. But if we're quite reliant on them cutting out 95% of the field, as portrayed in the media, there's scope for it to hold us back a lot. The worst case scenario is assessments being carried out by miniature versions of that Eghbali guy at Chelsea.

Using a search agency is standard practice for Director level recruitment, regardless of industry

NUFC will have specified their ideal candidate profile. Odgers will then put in the legwork to approach, attract and assess DoF’s 

Odgers should be liaising with NUFC throughout the process about who’s interested and who isn’t, who they rate and who they don’t

Odgers then present the shortlist of the strongest candidates to NUFC and our Board start interviewing

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I know the multi club setup that 777 had (or have) saw him in a sort of “area manager” type role where local sporting directors would report into him and he would go about spending a few weeks with individual clubs, talking to staff and players.

This is much more of a hands on day to day role so in a sense it’s a step back from the high level he’s operating at currently.

My thoughts on it would be that the club will, in the near future be following a similar model and essentially letting him set up the blueprint for how the other clubs will operate based on what’s set up at Newcastle.

Then as things grow he’ll fall back into a similar role of what he had at 777 and individual clubs will have local people.

For what it’s worth I was more excited about the links to this guy than Freedman but time will tell. We really need that link between club and boardroom in as soon as possible.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Signed Joelinton at Hoffenheim

Thats it? Dont mean to be negative but he doesnt have a lot to show for do he?

Edited by nufc123

7 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Thats it? Dont mean to be negative but he doesnt have a lot to show for do he?

Werner as well, but yeah other than that I can’t find much on him.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

On a side note, find it weird people still but Sky on a pedestal, in terms of news. They've been slow and quite unreliable for an age.

Edit: not directed at anyone here, just a general observation.

Sky should copy what ESPN has done with the NFL and NBA and pay one or two genuine news breakers (e.g. Ornstein) a lot of money. It's odd to me that they seemingly don't care.

Edited by timeEd32

6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Spors has such a different profile to Dougie which makes this one a bit surprising to me like. 

Yeah dont understand a thing here. Surely it can't be one or the other? Or was it for two different positions like we seem to be after?

6 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Bit of a jumper this guy.

Yeah, I don't like that. All things being equal I love the fact Giles is from the area / a supporter. If it worked out he'd be here for ages.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Yeah, I don't like that. All things being equal I love the fact Giles is from the area / a supporter. If it worked out he'd be here for ages.

Have also a bad feeling about this one. Spors that is.

34 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Using a search agency is standard practice for Director level recruitment, regardless of industry

NUFC will have specified their ideal candidate profile. Odgers will then put in the legwork to approach, attract and assess DoF’s 

Odgers should be liaising with NUFC throughout the process about who’s interested and who isn’t, who they rate and who they don’t

Odgers then present the shortlist of the strongest candidates to NUFC and our Board start interviewing

Yeah, as I say, it hopefully is all fine. I think the bit in bold is key. The media reports have tended to make it sound more hands-off than that, but there's a good chance they don't have a clue.

9 minutes ago, ATB said:

Have also a bad feeling about this one. Spors that is.

This aspect of Freedman also worried me tbh. He's gone back to Palace 3 or 4 times in his career in various roles. It was usually after the other place didn't work out to be fair, but I'm glad he did the u-turn before actually joining us.

33 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I know the multi club setup that 777 had (or have) saw him in a sort of “area manager” type role where local sporting directors would report into him and he would go about spending a few weeks with individual clubs, talking to staff and players.

This is much more of a hands on day to day role so in a sense it’s a step back from the high level he’s operating at currently.

My thoughts on it would be that the club will, in the near future be following a similar model and essentially letting him set up the blueprint for how the other clubs will operate based on what’s set up at Newcastle.

Then as things grow he’ll fall back into a similar role of what he had at 777 and individual clubs will have local people.

For what it’s worth I was more excited about the links to this guy than Freedman but time will tell. We really need that link between club and boardroom in as soon as possible.

Re: your two bold bits: 

1. I see that as a positive altogether, in the sense of being willing to get stuck in. And hopefully, as you say, working with the motivation to ultimately head a new organisation shaped largely by himself.

2. Yeah, same. I don't have strong opinions about this situation, but he fits the more classical idea of a well travelled pro bringing international insights into our operation. Hopefully brings some new ingredients for us to cook with.

Thing is we don't even know what the role is, it's got a title of sorts but we don't know much. People are looking at who this one brought in and this other one without actually knowing how much was down to them.

52 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Spors has such a different profile to Dougie which makes this one a bit surprising to me like. 

Aren't we after two people for different roles?

Just now, TRon said:

Aren't we after two people for different roles?

Yes appears so. After a sporting director for recruitment etc and performance director for medical, sports science etc