Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

On 24/05/2024 at 06:39, Whitley mag said:

Was listening to Jacobs on loaded mag and he reckons Spoors and 2 others in running, one being Hugo Viana and the other an unnamed candidate from a big club in one of Europe’s top leagues.

Viana has apparently landed the City gig.  Replacing Txiki who I assume is retiring. 

When Txiki was brought in, many thought it laid the foundations of getting in Pep.  Could be similar thing with Viana and Amorim.  

Viana wasn’t even good for us. But I reckon most fans would’ve been happy to have someone with a connection to the club as SD. I’ve no strong opinion on Mitchell but I would’ve loved a well qualified ex-player. 

Edited by The College Dropout

28 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Viana has apparently landed the City gig.  Replacing Txiki who I assume is retiring. 

When Txiki was brought in, many thought it laid the foundations of getting in Pep.  Could be similar thing with Viana and Amorim.  

Viana wasn’t even good for us. But I reckon most fans would’ve been happy to have someone with a connection to the club as SD. I’ve no strong opinion on Mitchell but I would’ve loved a well qualified ex-player. 

confirmed -

https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1844674106177794355?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

36 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Mostly, but not ones that were utter shit like Hugo Viana. 

I thought was a decent player tbh but not suited to our league. Think it knocked his confidence thereafter. Reckon if he’d have stayed in Portugal for another year or two and then went to Spain or Italy he would’ve had a decent career.

Unlike the media to dress this up as the end of the world and how badly we missed out. 

Viana may well be fantastic. Sometimes you know when someone has "it". However, equally he has done well at one job. I'm sure had he joined us it would have been played up as a "massive gamble". He lasted 6 months in his first job but has been at Sporting since 2018. 

Personally I'd still take Mitchell given his breadth of experience, reputation and hunger.

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

0:21 for the most bottleless, pathetic, cowardly attempt at a header you will ever see. Should never be seen back at the club in any capacity for that alone. Soz if this brings back PTSD for anyone.

I prefer to remember him for this probably the greatest NUFC away trip for those of us lucky to be there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0wf-DR_A6U&pp=ygUPRmV5ZXJub29yZCBudWZj

34 minutes ago, PRL said:

Knocked myself out cold in a pub with low ceilings when Bellamy scored that. Still my favourite ever non-live game I think. 

Aye, was a few people tumbling over seats when the winner went in that night.

Think it’s the goals where you truly lose it like Kelly against Portsmouth and any goal against the unwashed when you remember what it’s all about.

Back on topic though Viana had such a cultured left foot, real shame he couldn’t get to grips with PL.

Edited by Whitley mag

I have to assume Viana returns to us after his loan at Sporting if SBR stayed on or we hired a competent manager over Souness and maybe his time here would have been better long term. Hard to get too upset about a highly talented player not getting ahead of Speed, Dyer, Robert, or Jenas in theory at the time. He should have been nurtured after that loan spell. 

Having a grudge over Viana is absoluty weirdo behavior given how inoffensive of an 8.5m signing he was. 

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I have to assume Viana returns to us after his loan at Sporting if SBR stayed on or we hired a competent manager over Souness and maybe his time here would have been better long term. Hard to get too upset about a highly talented player not getting ahead of Speed, Dyer, Robert, or Jenas in theory at the time. He should have been nurtured after that loan spell. 

Having a grudge over Viana is absoluty weirdo behavior given how inoffensive of an 8.5m signing he was. 

£8.5m was decent money in 2002.

He’s still the slowest midfielder I’ve seen in B&W.  Lad had talent, but he was completely unsuited to English football. 

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I genuinely blacked out Bellamy’s winner.  The train back to Amsterdam that night was great :) 

The whole trip was brilliant think Ajax were playing Inter the night before in Amsterdam, some right characters from days gone by followed us over there was a great away following 3k Mags all up for it.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Weirdo behaviour, get fucked. :lol:

It was tongue in cheek first off, and that Marseille game is etched into my memory. Even still, 8.5m was decent money back then and that attempt at a header _was_ absolutely pathetic. He was shite and the did fuck all with the rest of his career though, I'll stand by that.

7 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Weirdo behaviour, get fucked. :lol:

It was tongue in cheek first off, and that Marseille game is etched into my memory. Even still, 8.5m was decent money back then and that attempt at a header _was_ absolutely pathetic. He was shite and the did fuck all with the rest of his career though, I'll stand by that.

Remember when we bought him he’d apparently ran rings around David Dunn in the U21’s for Portugal, Dunn was being hyped massively at the time, as you say 8 million was a lot then and was quite an exciting signing at the time.

For some reason I found myself watching extended highlights of that 4-0 vs West Ham at the beginning of 2002/03 and he looked great. :lol: But aye, Feyenoord peak sadly overshadowed by the Marseille incident. That was such a drab tie, so annoying we couldn't put em away at SJP.